Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sione Faumuina -> Gold Coast?

League: Sione set for another shot at NRL

Sione Faumuina might be handed an NRL lifeline, with the Gold Coast Titans set to offer him a contract, but his manager has washed his hands of the player.

The 25-year-old has been at the centre of controversy for much of his career culminating in August with the termination of his Warriors contract a year early after serious alcohol-related incidents.

Three weeks ago, he walked out on a three-year deal with UK Super League side London Harlequins, citing "family reasons".

Despite saying he was needed by his mother and two siblings, who live on the Gold Coast, he first visited Auckland where his girlfriend, Silver Fern Temepara George, lives. He is now said to be on the Gold Coast.

There was widespread doubt in league circles about whether another club would come in for the ball-playing back-rower but the Titans don't appear to be put off by his disciplinary record.

"The Gold Coast Titans have expressed interest in gaining the services of Sione to his manager. However, at this stage only preliminary discussions have been held," Titans spokesman Jason Sintome confirmed. "As it stands, the club would be looking at an incentive-based agreement."

It seems, however, that manager PeteBrown has lost patience with Faumuina and has withdrawn his services after not having heard from the player.

"I'm not acting for him any more," Brown said. "I still haven't heard from him [since he returned from the UK]."

Faumuina has not been far from the headlines this year after he drunkenly abused Ivan Cleary, Brian McClennan and Ruben Wiki at Awen Guttenbeil's testimonial luncheon. The final straw for the Warriors was another tirade in front of fans after their last game of the season.

The Titans, who have already been at the centre of contract controversies involving Mat Rogers and Steve Turner, will make their NRL debut against the Dragons on March 18.

New NZRL director Tony Kemp will be joined by Sir Ron Scott and Ken Laban in a search for a new convenor of selectors for the Kiwis.

Source: NZ Herald
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I'm not sure I want this bloke wearing a Titans jersey. Considering the way he has acted...

No thanks!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I'm not sure I want this bloke wearing a Titans jersey. Considering the way he has acted...

No thanks!
    Agree,no need for him.

if you get him at a bargan price you'd be mad not to sign him. but i understand the conserns...

Titan First Grade Regular

Give him a chance - GC threw a life-line to the talented Chris Walker, why not throw a life-line to the talented Sione Faumuina?
    [

Titan One Clubman

Looks like another player Canberra have to try fit under the salary cap

Junior Titan

Give him a contract that stipulates if he steps out of line then he's gone, pardon the pub but he'd be drinking in the last chance saloon

Nearly all players in league get dumped by one club then given a lifeline by another club and 9/10 times that players seems to pick up there act and play well.

Players to mention- hogdes - back and forth from club to club

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    Looks like another player Canberra have to try fit under the salary cap
    Lol - We need Wes aswel - and we need to Steal Mitchell Sargent off the Knights, and Brett Seymour off the Sharks aswell...

They will fit in well with Naught Neville.
    [

Banned

I think from previous experiences most players pull their act together when they get given a life line and realise how much they really do miss playing proffesional rugby league.

I say lets give him a chance everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance.

The more for foreigners we get I think the better and possibly a future international (not sure if he's represented NZ before) and the Gold Coast public IMO will embrace him, a lot of Kiwis live here.

In conclusion if he steps out of line again he doesn't deserve a third or fourth but as long as he has realised what he's done wrong and truly wants to make up for it then I think he will make an impact here at the GC.

Faumuina lassoed by Cowboys
    By STEVE KILGALLON - Sunday Star Times

The travels of Sione Faumuina have come to an end, the former Warrior signing with the North Queensland Cowboys.
    Faumuina went absent without leave from his new English club, Harlequins, three weeks ago and won't be going back to London.
    Chased by the club, media, and even his agent, the two-cap Kiwi told the Sunday Star-Times a fortnight ago that he was destined for Brisbane, to see his mother and two younger siblings.
    Sources told the Star-Times yesterday that Faumuina had stayed on to find a new club, and has agreed terms with the Cowboys, the 2005 grand finalists based in Townsville -a swift return to the NRL after he left the Warriors in September with the last year of his contract there cancelled for disciplinary indiscretions.
    Faumuina declined to comment on the news, but it is expected the Cowboys will announce his signing early in the New Year after securing a release from Harlequins, who will lose the erratic lock without him playing a game in the Super League.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/sundays...9688a6444.html

Good pick up for the cowboys, i just hope he pulls his act together, and stays out of the head lines. :cop: Last thing cowboys need is some bad headlines.

GO THE MAROONS!

I would be very wary of signing him to a Titans contract but if the contract had an escape clause for the Titans, that allowed the Titans to cut the player if he transgressed without any financial burden then i say give the guy a chance, if he blows it then cut him loose.cya. :fyi: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    Good pick up for the cowboys, i just hope he pulls his act together, and stays out of the head lines. :cop: Last thing cowboys need is some bad headlines.
    Haha nah he be right. Cowboys will make him show more discipline.
    Good signing.

a good pick up by the Cows, put him at lock, if they get his head right he can be a match winner, might be enough to get the Cows out of the Spoon position....