Default No Computer Games For Christmas...buy A Bat

No computer games for Christmas

December 22, 2006 12:00
    Article from: AAP

Telegraph

LEAVE the interactive computer games out of the Christmas stocking and buy a cricket bat instead, doctors said today.

The Australian Medical Association has slammed computer games that promise to tackle childhood obesity as a fad and marketing gone mad.

The "gamercize" products, which include step machines and stationary bikes that can be hooked up to Playstations and other game consoles, force children to exercise if they want to play.

AMA president Dr Mukesh Haikerwal said they were more likely to reinforce exercise-unfriendly behaviour.

"Opportunities for physical activity shouldn't be determined by access to a game console or a plasma screen TV," Dr Haikerwal said in Australian Medicine magazine.

"And, in reality, the short game play wouldn't be burning too many calories anyway."

Dr Haikerwal said playing old fashioned games with a ball and bat in the backyard or park are of far more benefit to battling obesity.

They also showed kids that fitness and health could be fun, he said.

"My advice is to keep computer games as a treat and to dismiss them completely as any substitute for exercise or tool for battling bulging waistlines," he said.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titan First Grade Regular

I only play Video-games when its raining or at night time.

Mostly, im outside playing some sport or another.
    [

Want to fight obesity?

Lower the price of fruit and vegetables. Raise the price of all junk food.

Problem solved!

These kinds of comments really annoy me because they focus on the negative of video games and often do not mention the positive effects - mostly on the brain - that playing video games has. Giving a fat kid a cricket bat for Christmas isn't going to make him/her want to go outside for a game of backyard cricket. The kid is already fat - he/she hasn't exercised enough as it is. Why would you give them something completely foreign instead of giving them something that incorporates their favourite hobby?

Computer games aren't the problem! It's how they're used!

If a kid plays computer games, there is nothing wrong with that, providing he/she has a balanced lifestyle, ie, gets plenty of exercise, and eats healthy!

I'm not sure about everywhere else, but, out of all my group of friends, (that all play video games) , NONE OF THEM ARE OBESE! The games are not to blame, It's the parent's who are at fault! They're the ones who should be enforcing their kids get out and active, and eat healthy!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

I am on the computer/PlayStation/Xbox all the time, and I am skinny as!