Default Broncos Eyeing Tuquri Deal

From FoxSports.com.au

BRISBANE will soon consider starting contract negotiations with Australia dual international Lote Tuqiri as the race for the Wallabies star's signature heats up.

Broncos boss Bruno Cullen last night confirmed the NRL premiers were keen to talk to Tuqiri, who could quit rugby after next year's Rugby World Cup.

The Australian Rugby Union has tabled an offer to Tuqiri, worth a rumoured $1 million a season, to keep him in the code until the end of 2011.

But the 27-year-old has vowed not to leave "any stone unturned" in deciding his future, and has given himself until the end of January to settle on the biggest call of his career.

Cullen said he would meet Broncos coach Wayne Bennett in the next two weeks to discuss the option of luring Tuqiri back to Red Hill.

"Lote is a wonderful footballer and we are obviously interested in having a chat with him," he said.

"He's a good friend of the club and still talks to a lot of the guys here."

As many as six NRL clubs are believed to be interested in Tuqiri, who switched codes in 2003, but the Fiji-born flyer will have to take a drastic pay cut to return to league.

His minimum $500,000 asking price could be too great for some clubs.

Tuqiri's wife Rebekka is also from Queensland and both would like to be closer to their families, especially now with young son Samson.

Cullen was sceptical a deal could be forged.

"Affordability under the salary cap is going to be an issue," he acknowledged.

I really hope Tuquri comes back. I haven't seen him play much in the last few years but if he is any good as a playmaker (which I am presuming) I think he will take Darren Lockyer's spot at 5/8th after Lockyer retires. Before that, he might play lock, because I think next year will be Tonie Carroll's last season.

Surely the Titans can squeeze him under the salary cap!1!

But seriously, would be good if he was back in the maroon and yellow.

If he goes to the Donkeys, that puts him on the same salary cap as the Rorters and the Silvertails.

Already posted in the I'm open to NRL offers: Lote thread

http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7331