Default NRL: Knights: Unsure over NRL captaincy

Knights not sure over NRL captaincy
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Newcastle Knights are contemplating rotating their captaincy next year as the NRL club tries to decide on a replacement for Andrew Johns.

Hooker Danny Buderus and veteran forward Steve Simpson are the likely candidates to share the duty, a practice becoming more and more common-place in professional sports.

After giving all players in their leadership group a taste of the captaincy in 2005, the Sydney Swans installed three skippers last season, Barry Hall, Leo Barry and Brett Kirk.

Melbourne Storm utilised a leadership group last season and St George Illawarra is considering a similar ploy after Trent Barrett's move to English Super League.

Johns ended his long tenure as Knights' skipper late last season after a number of run-ins with match officials and has backed Buderus to take over.

The 28-year-old confirmed he is interested in the role, but said new coach Brian Smith wasn't planning to broach the subject for another month as pre-season training gets into full swing.

"No-one's really spoken about that," Buderus said.

"Everyone's interested and there's a few different avenues we can go down.

"Whether it's a group captaincy or something like that."

Buderus also confirmed he is considering finishing his career in England.

The Australian and NSW Origin representative has signed with the Knights until 2009 and is keen to try his hand in the UK after that.

"I've signed up for another two years here at Newcastle. I'll be 29 in February and 32 when my contract expires," he said.

"I'll probably have the option of going overseas after that, it's just a matter of seeing how the body's going.

"It would be a great experience to go over and play for a top club over there. I've spoken to a number of people who have done it and they've all had nothing but praise for it."

The Knights ended an inconsistent 2006 season with an embarrassing 50-6 mauling at the hands of eventual premier Brisbane in the semi-finals.

Buderus said defence was the main area that needed to be improved if Newcastle was to get back in the premiership race next season.

The hooker said Smith was working on "hardening up" the Novocastrian.

"We're planning to improve obviously and we know we're capable," he said.

"It's just getting a bit of a steely resolve about our game and hardening up.

"Defence was definitely our number one problem last year."

Source: AAP

Titan First Grade Regular

Buderus (C)
    Simmo (VC)
    [