Default Titans new stadium a possible bottleneck problem

Gold Coast Titans new stadium a possible bottleneck problem

A SPECIAL taskforce has been set up to solve major transport issues that are emerging at the new Robina rugby league stadium.

Serious concerns have been raised about the ability of the rail and bus network to cope with a capacity crowd of 25,000 at the stadium, home of the Gold Coast Titans from 2008.

The Bulletin understands the current rail network can transport 4000 people an hour to and from the rail station, which sits adjacent to the new Skilled Park.

Buses will also be able to bring and take away about 4000 people per hour. There are 600 car parks planned for the stadium, which is ahead of building schedule.

Civic and political leaders have told the Beattie Government it needs to upgrade rail facilities at Robina to cater for big crowds.

A transport management committee has been set up by the Government to tackle the parking and public transport issue, comprising Translink, Queensland Transport, Surfside buses, town planning experts and members of the stadium project team.

Premier Peter Beattie has been urged to become personally involved in fast-tracking the infrastructure. He inspected the ground in September when he announced the naming rights.

Robina state MP Ray Stevens said yesterday the greatest challenge to the success of the Titans was not on the paddock, but off the field.

"The latest research shows that rail will move 4000 people an hour, buses a little less than that and there are 600 car parks," he said.

"You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to work out that with a big crowd of say 20,000 or 25,000 it will be a (transport) nightmare.

"People won't go to the footy if it is going to take them two hours to get home. They wouldn't do it when the Seagulls were playing and they won't do it with the Titans.

"I've spoken to the Government and been told it's (a matter for) the Premier's Department. I don't want to see the Titans fail because of a lack of patronage, not because of their on-field deeds, but because people can't be bothered putting up with the hassle of getting home."

He said the city council owned 17ha of land next to the NRL stadium and this should be secured for the future of the Titans.

"The (Townsville) Cowboys have 5000 car parks and people get away well. It works well," he said.

"Suncorp Stadium is unique in that it has a north-south-east rail connector but the Gold Coast is lineal and the rail traffic will be coming from either the north or south.

"The construction of the rail duplication is not scheduled until 2011 but it might be too late by then."

A Queensland Transport spokesman said the department was party to a study being conducted by the Major Sports Facilities Authority, which is looking at all aspects of transport and traffic planning for the new stadium, including public transport (bus and rail), private coaches, taxis and cars.

"Queensland Transport, under TransLink, is separately reviewing the capacity of the bus interchange facilities at Robina Stadium," said the spokesman.

"A report will be made to the Minister on whether or not the facilities need to be upgraded. Queensland Rail is also working with TransLink to work out how best to meet the needs of rail commuters to the stadium, but it is expected this will include extra services before and after matches.

"However, in order to meet future demand on the Gold Coast, the Queensland Government is spending more than $63m building a second track between Helensvale and Robina to cope with the growing demand for rail services between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

"Completion of this project is due in 2008.

"A further $75m is being spent on the line from Robina to Varsity Lakes.

"The Queensland Government is also boosting seating capacity by more than 50 per cent on the Gold Coast line, with new rail carriages to come online from early next year and then through to 2009.

"The first of these new carriages will be track tested early in the new year. They will create room for an extra 2500 passengers on the Gold Coast line."

Former sport minister Tom Barton has told the city council the best way to move patrons to and from events is to limit the use of cars.

"The number of car parks provided in the area should, therefore, be limited significantly and a public transport strategy developed and implemented that makes travel to the venue simple and direct," he wrote to the council.

Gold Coast Combined Chamber of Commerce president John Preston said the Government was keen to sell the public transport message to footy fans, but it would not work unless they were provided a good service.

"It's a major issue and has always been a concern of ours," said Mr Preston.

"Even the Mudgeeraba interchange is not due for completion until 2008-09."

Robina councillor Jan Grew said the rail and bus network was 'absolutely crucial' to the success of the NRL stadium.

"People want to know they can get in and out of that precinct with little hassle," she said.

"Obviously they are critical issues and I'm sure the Government is properly addressing them."

Titans chairman Paul Broughton said he couldn't comment on transport issues, which were the domain of the State Government.

Gold Coast Bulletin
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

600 spaces?? Geez that doesn't seem like very many at all! Hmmmmm
    I'll drink to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Waz
    600 spaces?? Geez that doesn't seem like very many at all! Hmmmmm
    Not many people would drive to the football on their own. If each car had 4 people for example that is 2400 people or 1200 for 2 people per car. On the other hand, cowboys have 5000 spaces times by 4 people per car, thats 20000 people.

There is a certain problem here, there is no point having a state of the art arena if it's a pain in the **** trying to get in and out of the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingytek
    There is a certain problem here, there is no point having a state of the art arena if it's a pain in the **** trying to get in and out of the place!
    yea agreed! Something will need to be done before 2008 comes around...

Is there a reason why there's only 600 car parks, i mean, is there no room for more? For the size stadium it is, you certainly need more parking spaces than 600!

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Former Sports Minister Tom Barton
    "The number of car parks provided in the area should, therefore, be limited significantly and a public transport strategy developed and implemented that makes travel to the venue simple and direct," he wrote to the council.[
    That's fine as long as there's adequate public transport. You would think they'd have learned their lesson from all the dramas at Carrara over the years. If they can only get 8000 per hour out via public transport then cars are the only other alternative.

DFS has 5000 parking spaces and only one way back into town so basically everyone has to use the same road. At least with Skilled Park, cars could leave east to the coast and west to the M1. I'm sure they could manage to get a few thousand cars out over a reasonable timeframe.

Suncorp Stadium has no parking available to the public (unless they are disabled or have accessed to parking underneath the stadium) and relies only on public transport and it works.

Skilled Park will have to work on that sort of system, however I can't see it being as efficient as the Suncorp Stadium Transportation Strategy due to the lack of public transport into the Gold Coast Suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Suncorp Stadium has no parking available to the public (unless they are disabled or have accessed to parking underneath the stadium) and relies only on public transport and it works.

Skilled Park will have to work on that sort of system, however I can't see it being as efficient as the Suncorp Stadium Transportation Strategy due to the lack of public transport into the Gold Coast Suburbs.
    I don't think the system will work as effectively though Queenslander... as you said there is the advantage in that Suncorp has good public transport, I've never been there, but my mates have and they say it's rather good, then again, we do live in Sydney....

The size of the car park is an issue, but in all honesty, it's the same size as Parramatta Stadium and Parra's only about 3000 less in capacity size and the station is another 15 mins walk away.

OKI Jubilee Kogarah is only 15,000 or so and there are next to no parking spaces, however the train is close by and the trip is only 30-50 mins to get to the city again or to the south. There are days though when the trip can be torture as the place gets impossible to get out of.

I reckon they do need to have more carpark spaces, maybe about 1000 would do the trick... but I also reckon the issue here is extra facilities around the stadium.... you put in something like restaurants or a amusement facility nearby... then you will reduce the traffic flow as some people will use those and leave later, others will leave straight away.

The other thing I think that is needed will be space for cars in sidestreets, however then you have the issue of residents and noise.

Overall though, it's a problem every club faces, well besides those who are based in bigger than 30,000 seat stadiums, or those who are right next to transport, it's how you manage the transport that is the key.

A dedicated train ( or 2) from Central separate to the timetable that runs only on game days and arrives 1 hour prior to kickoff and leaves 1 hour after the game ends. Titan gameday buses from key local points for those not on the train line. Also as mentioned above some restaurants etc will help to slow the crush. I have looked at the train timetable and they only have an hourly service at night. Not very convenient for an evening game!!!
    The rail company may not be keen but if the government is as concerned as they sound then they can find a way especially if the club and fans make enough noise now!!!

Its a simple fix, have free busses transfering people from the Robina Shopping center to the ground, approx 2min bus ride. That opens about 5900 extra car parks.

Comparring the new stadium to Seagulls is laughable, does anyone remember trying to get to Seagulls, that road was hardly big enough for 2 lanes, and the junction to it is still pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    Its a simple fix, have free busses transfering people from the Robina Shopping center to the ground, approx 2min bus ride. That opens about 5900 extra car parks.
    Yea good idea Coaster. I thought that was the plan. I think we will be right.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Junior Titan

Public transport just isn't gonna work. The trains only run north and really, how many people are gonna be coming from that direction?
    The buses are too infrequent and the routes too limited.
    You can be assured as soon as the new widened road from Robina Parkway is finished there'll be "no standing' signs everywhere near the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if the Robina Town Centre also introduces "shopper only parking", and it's a hell of a hike from there to the stadium anyway.
    So, once again, approval is given for development without adequate parking as we see all too often here.
    The most sensible thing would have been a multi-level carpark on site. Yes we all know we should use our cars less but when there's no alternative what can you do?
    I really hope this is rectified well before the first game or we'll be making the headlines for all the wrong reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by meter maid
    Public transport just isn't gonna work. The trains only run north and really, how many people are gonna be coming from that direction?
    The buses are too infrequent and the routes too limited.
    You can be assured as soon as the new widened road from Robina Parkway is finished there'll be "no standing' signs everywhere near the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if the Robina Town Centre also introduces "shopper only parking", and it's a hell of a hike from there to the stadium anyway.
    So, once again, approval is given for development without adequate parking as we see all too often here.
    The most sensible thing would have been a multi-level carpark on site. Yes we all know we should use our cars less but when there's no alternative what can you do?
    I really hope this is rectified well before the first game or we'll be making the headlines for all the wrong reasons!
    I've been to a few 40'000+ crowds at Lang Park and I've never had a problem getting there by public transport. ie: Drive and park at Carindale shopping centre then take a shuttle bus from there to the stadium.

If the state government can work out that then I've got no doubt that they can work out something similar for a smaller stadium.

How is the infrastructure up at Dairy Farmers for game day transport?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    How is the infrastructure up at Dairy Farmers for game day transport?

Good, everyone arrives on the back of Micks ute, and they all leave by paddy wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

It's been a while since I've been there, but they had free shuttle bus services running from one of their large shopping centres, to and from dairy farmers stadium. You park your car in the shopping centres car park, jump on the bus and takes you right there, and brings you back.They were fairly efficient too, can't exactly remember how long it took, but roughly half an hour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, they didn't have any train system's running...Just a massive car park outside the stadium, which was the main form of transport for most people...

Agian, It's been a while since I've been there, but from memory, that's how it worked :noidea:

GO THE MAROONS!