Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Storm and Titans battle for rookies

Steve Turner saga gets schoolboy twist

The Steve Turner saga has taken another twist with Melbourne and the Gold Coast Titans set for a tug-of-war over Palm Beach-Currumbin High schoolboy Kevin Proctor.

The Bulletin can reveal Australian Schoolboy Proctor is the development player the Gold Coast Titans have targeted in the swap for Storm grand final winger Turner.

But the Titans still face a battle, with Proctor's mentor, PBC coach Rod Patison, aware how much the Storm will want to keep him.

Turner has recanted on an agreement to play with the Titans and has signed a new deal with Melbourne.

The Titans have proposed the Storm release two junior talents plus pay $300,000 in exchange for the Gold Coast absolving Turner's three-year agreement.

Brisbane Norths Queensland Cup back Smith Samau, who has played one NRL game for the Storm, is the other development player.

The Titans feel Proctor is perfect for the club, as he is a Gold Coast junior who was snapped up before the new franchise came into existence.

The 17-year-old second rower is starring on the Australian Schoolboys tour of Great Britain.

"We didn't get an opportunity to sign him in the first place, so if he would like to come here we would love to have him," said Titans managing director Michael Searle yesterday.

"It would be good if he didn't have to leave the Gold Coast. He's got another year at PBC, so to get him back would be fantastic."

The Titans are going hard and heavy to get Proctor, who Melbourne spotted at an under-15s South Coast trial more than two years ago.

The Kiwi-born talent, whose father Dave is a prodigious rugby union coach, was then playing for Windaroo High School.

He moved to small Tweed school Lakeside Christian College, where despite interest from TSS for a union scholarship, the Storm scouted him and moved him to PBC last year.

Patison said yesterday Proctor, who does not return to Australian until Christmas Eve, was a player the Storm would want to keep.

"Knowing what they think of Kevin, it is going to be a hard decision for them to let him go," he said.

"My first thought when the idea of this swap deal came up was that of all the development players, Kevin Proctor has to be the best.

"My second thought was it would be almost impossible for Melbourne to do it."

But Titans coach John Cartwright said signing Proctor over to the Coast made 'perfect sense'.

"They signed him before we even got up and running, he goes to PBC and is still living on the Coast," said Cartwright.

"They want Steve Turner, so to me it makes perfect sense. Kevin would be able to stay here with all his mates.

"While Kevin has a huge amount of potential, Turner has played in a grand final and played 20 NRL games.

"Likewise, Samau is a really good performer in Queensland Cup and has his best years in front of him.

"We are talking about two guys who we think are a fair swap for who Steve Turner is.

"We are not asking nothing for nothing. What we are saying is Steve Turner has left a big hole in our squad, and we need to replace it."

Searle said the deal would set a precedent and his club would not back down on the terms they have laid out.

"I think we are all comfortable with the financial deal we have come up with," he said.

"It's now up to the decision of Melbourne on whether they want to release the two players.

"It's in the best interests of our game that a commercial arrangement is met, because it will set a precedent.

"It will become the burden for the NRL for the next 10 years if we whimsically release players based on a desire to change clubs.

"I think this is a reasonable solution.

"They are junior players -- it's not as if we have said we want a player of similar ilk.

"We did initially, but then we went back to the table and gave them another option.

"I don't think the Gold Coast Titans can go back to the table again with a better proposal, and we won't.

"We are done. This is it. That's our final proposal.

"If Melbourne want Steve Turner to play with them in 2007, they come to a resolution on the player swap."

Gold Coast Bulletin
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan First Grade Regular

A bit of an unfair deal in the Tites favour i reckon...

But, the Storm scrwed them over and deserve to pay fo it!
    [

The Titans have nothing to lose, and if that's the case it'd make no sense to give the Storm an easy way out. It's good that they're going after GC juniors rather than established stars too.

Nothing wrong with giving them an easy way out. The hard way leaves a lot of people being the losers.

At least this plan offers something to all three parties, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Mr Turncoat.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

QLD Cup Titan

Don't know Kevin Proctor- but Palm Beach Currumbin is one of the TOP breeding schools in Qld. So say no more.
    Smith Samau has talent (and a bit of a Carmichael Hunt style hop/step).

Sounds like an astute move by the Titans! and good on them ...Reneging on a contract written or verbal would set a bad precident for League ( and make Lawyers rich and we don't want that!)

GOOD MOVE TITANS!

See ya at the first round next year (and I'll be there in time to see The Tweed Seagulls play Norths Devils in the lead up to the main game!)

Terrific I get to cheer for Norths then for the Titans against St George!

Round 5 - we get the Burleigh Bears V Aspley Broncos (go Burleigh!) before The Titans flog the Broncos...

CAN"T WAIT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard
    Don't know Kevin Proctor- but Palm Beach Currumbin is one of the TOP breeding schools in Qld. So say no more.
    Smith Samau has talent (and a bit of a Carmichael Hunt style hop/step).

Sounds like an astute move by the Titans! and good on them ...Reneging on a contract written or verbal would set a bad precident for League ( and make Lawyers rich and we don't want that!)

GOOD MOVE TITANS!

See ya at the first round next year (and I'll be there in time to see The Tweed Seagulls play Norths Devils in the lead up to the main game!)

Terrific I get to cheer for Norths then for the Titans against St George!

Round 5 - we get the Burleigh Bears V Aspley Broncos (go Burleigh!) before The Titans flog the Broncos...

CAN"T WAIT!!!
    Yea I go for Norths in the QLD CUP as well, with the sad lack of the Diehards. I'll be just like you cheering Norths then Gold Coast and of course Burleigh over Aspley.... *grr*

Storm rookies in tug-of-war

2006 Kevin Proctor and Smith Samau are the two boom rookies who have been inadvertently thrust into the bitter tug-of-war for Melbourne winger Steve Turner.

The Storm sensations have been identified by Gold Coast as adequate replacements as part of a compensation package to enable Turner to remain in Melbourne.

But Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has slammed the player-swap proposal, despite Titans counterpart Michael Searle claiming Waldron initially raised the idea.

Tired of being painted as the villain in the Turner fiasco, Searle says he will release the disgruntled winger as soon as Proctor, 17, and Samau, 20, are delivered to the Titans.

The duo is highly rated by the Storm, with Samau having made his NRL debut last season and back-row sensation Proctor on tour with the Australian Schoolboys.

"The ball is firmly in Storm's court," Searle said. "They can have Steve Turner at training on Monday morning if they agree to this player swap.

"Initially it was a point he raised at a lunch meeting we had a while back. When it was clear Steve wanted to stay in Melbourne, we put forward names of the players we were comfortable with as a form of compensation.

"Our offer is on the table, a very fair offer, and it's up to them to come up with a solution.

"Steve Turner's fate is now in Melbourne's hands. If they want him, they can agree to this deal and release the two kids."

But Waldron had a stern message for Searle as relations between the two clubs hit rock bottom.

"We have never agreed to any player swap and we will not agree to it," Searle said.

"There will be no compensation because we have nothing to compensate Gold Coast for. We've told our players we will not raise the issue (of a player swap).

"Steve Turner has offered some compensation, which is understandable given Steve's role in this process. But we have no need to compensate the Titans and we won't be."

Significantly, Proctor and Samau, who are both contracted until the end of 2008, have privately declared they would be happy to join the Titans.

A product of Palm Beach Currumbin on the Gold Coast, Proctor joined the Storm after the Titans were initially refused admission by the NRL in 2004.

Samau, a talented fullback or wing from Brisbane, re-signed with Melbourne Storm this year on the understanding that Turner would be joining the Gold Coast next season.

Storm recruitment chief Peter O'Sullivan, who spotted Proctor playing rugby union on the Gold Coast, insists the 100kg forward is going nowhere.

"I've put four years into this kid," O'Sullivan said. "It would be over my dead body that he goes to the Gold Coast.

"I chased him and I won't let him go. He's a champion of the future. He'll be playing first grade for Melbourne."

Source: FoxSports

If this deal happens it would be great for the Titans. Smith Samau has alot of potential but has had a fair bit of injuries which have stoped him from playing his best football.

Proctor i dont know much of but from all i have read of him he seems like a great promising player which will be good for the Titans in the future.

This is a more than fair deal for a club some intent on keeping Steve Turner.

You have two promising yet unproven rookies who are to said to be fine with moving to the Gold Coast and in turn Melbourne get "their man" - where is the issue for Waldron? This issue is still Waldron is deluded in thinking their is no compensation to be had for the Gold Coast Titans hence why he is digging his heels in.

Release the two contracted rookies, we release Turner from his agreement with the Gold Coast Titans and this issue is put to bed.

What more can the Titans do to find the middle ground so as both clubs can move on with their pre-season?

I agree DeeGan, this is more than a fair deal for the Storm...

Ok Samau and Proctor seem like really good players who could be something special in the future, but no one knows if they will... whether they can make the transition to the big time and whether they will continue to be the players they are now.

The Titans however are willing to gamble on this in return for the Storm getting back a player who everyone knows is quality, knows has potential and knows how he plays in Steve Turner.

Titans taking 2 unknowns so the Storm can have a tried and tested player, I reckon it's more than a fair trade IMO... and it's the Storm who have benefited here...

I feel that we the Titans should stick to our guns and force this Turner disgrace out into the open once and for all, i am afraid it means court and i think it has gone past a joke, it has gone long enough, it is damaging to us, if i was Michael Serle i would finally tell Melbourne once and for all that Turner will sit out three years.cya. :dead: :curse:

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCliffy#01
    I feel that we the Titans should stick to our guns and force this Turner disgrace out into the open once and for all, i am afraid it means court and i think it has gone past a joke, it has gone long enough, it is damaging to us, if i was Michael Serle i would finally tell Melbourne once and for all that Turner will sit out three years.cya. :dead: :curse:
    And i'd say you along with a hell of alot of other Melbourne fans would agree with that stance.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Yea I'm sick of the Turner saga, I could only imagine how other fans feel.

Though Im certainly happy to have a club to have these sort of sagas.

*cough*News Limited is behind it*end cough*

Yeah - im sick of it, Just End it already!!!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Storm rookies in tug-of-war

2006 Kevin Proctor and Smith Samau are the two boom rookies who have been inadvertently thrust into the bitter tug-of-war for Melbourne winger Steve Turner.

The Storm sensations have been identified by Gold Coast as adequate replacements as part of a compensation package to enable Turner to remain in Melbourne.

But Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has slammed the player-swap proposal, despite Titans counterpart Michael Searle claiming Waldron initially raised the idea.

Tired of being painted as the villain in the Turner fiasco, Searle says he will release the disgruntled winger as soon as Proctor, 17, and Samau, 20, are delivered to the Titans.

The duo is highly rated by the Storm, with Samau having made his NRL debut last season and back-row sensation Proctor on tour with the Australian Schoolboys.

"The ball is firmly in Storm's court," Searle said. "They can have Steve Turner at training on Monday morning if they agree to this player swap.

"Initially it was a point he raised at a lunch meeting we had a while back. When it was clear Steve wanted to stay in Melbourne, we put forward names of the players we were comfortable with as a form of compensation.

"Our offer is on the table, a very fair offer, and it's up to them to come up with a solution.

"Steve Turner's fate is now in Melbourne's hands. If they want him, they can agree to this deal and release the two kids."

But Waldron had a stern message for Searle as relations between the two clubs hit rock bottom.

"We have never agreed to any player swap and we will not agree to it," Searle said.

"There will be no compensation because we have nothing to compensate Gold Coast for. We've told our players we will not raise the issue (of a player swap).

"Steve Turner has offered some compensation, which is understandable given Steve's role in this process. But we have no need to compensate the Titans and we won't be."

Significantly, Proctor and Samau, who are both contracted until the end of 2008, have privately declared they would be happy to join the Titans.

A product of Palm Beach Currumbin on the Gold Coast, Proctor joined the Storm after the Titans were initially refused admission by the NRL in 2004.

Samau, a talented fullback or wing from Brisbane, re-signed with Melbourne Storm this year on the understanding that Turner would be joining the Gold Coast next season.

Storm recruitment chief Peter O'Sullivan, who spotted Proctor playing rugby union on the Gold Coast, insists the 100kg forward is going nowhere.

"I've put four years into this kid," O'Sullivan said. "It would be over my dead body that he goes to the Gold Coast.

"I chased him and I won't let him go. He's a champion of the future. He'll be playing first grade for Melbourne."

Source: FoxSports
    Brian Waldron says that Melbourne has nothing to compensate the Titans for. If the Storm hadn't tried to sign Turner when they knew he was committed to the Titans this situation would not have happened. They must pay the Titans some compensation as a result. You cannot entice a player to break a contract and then plead innocent.
    MMM radio in Sydney was talking about the whole situation and Waldron said the same thing as he is quoted above. Then out of the blue Turner's mother rang and was very vocal in her support of her son. She was saying that the Titans should have signed him earlier and Michael Searle had never met Turner until late this year etc. Ray Warren then asked her the following question... " as a mother when you give your word do you keep it ??" Her response was umm aahh well yes!!!!! Case closed. Turner should play for the Titans or sit out 3 years!!!!