Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Titan First Grade Squad BrisbaneBroncosRule's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Not that bad I suppose. All the other play stations were around abouts a grand on release. It'll drop but and become the best selling console again though.
    yep true that.

I LOVE MICHEL

BRING BACK SEGA SATURN!!!!

$999 i dont think ill be getting one for a while!
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

I'll pass.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Not that bad I suppose. All the other play stations were around abouts a grand on release. It'll drop but and become the best selling console again though.
    No it won't. Not with its Blu-Ray drive. Sony are actually losing money on every console sold because of this.

I'm not expecting it to become affordable ($400-$600) for another 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroMan
    No it won't. Not with its Blu-Ray drive. Sony are actually losing money on every console sold because of this.

I'm not expecting it to become affordable ($400-$600) for another 4 years.
    I don't even know wtf blu-ray is but every other play station has sold well and out lasted the other consoles so Sony must do something right. They've always had a wider range of good games too which I don't expect to change, and the backwards compatability will also be a factor.

The initial sales figures might not be great, but eventually they'll take off. Even if its 4 years from now like you predict.

If Sony are losing money on every unit sold at $1000 then its obviously got something better than the 'affordable' consoles. So they're already obsolete compared to the PS3. When it becomes 'affordable' the other companies may have caught up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Uhh no. The PS2 was only $700 and something, and I'm fairly sure the PSX wasn't near $1000.

I don't even know wtf blu-ray is
    It's basically a disc that has a bigger capacity than a normal DVD disc. I don't know how anyone could possibly want to buy a PS3 without even knowing what it offers. The PS3 is 'value' if you plan to utilise its features, but if people don't even know the features and what they require (HDTV, purchasing Blu-ray DVDs for example), I am baffled how they justify $1000. Maybe I've been brought up valuing money different.

but every other play station has sold well and out lasted the other consoles so Sony must do something right.
    They were doing something right, but not any more. You can find a negative Sony story - from dodgy products to lawsuits - almost every week. The success of the PS2 can largely be put down to the fact it had DVD playback. It came out around the time DVDs were becoming popular. It was also the first 'next gen' (not including Dreamcast which flopped obvs.) console. The PSX was successful because the only real competition it had was from the N64 - a product that consumers and developers didn't like as much as they should have.

All these have gone with the PS3.

- It's the last system out here.

- It's the most expensive system out here.

- Its main selling point isn't popular at all here in Australia - and the proof is the fact you have no idea what blu-ray is. Sony have been banging on about blu-ray for ages, yet no one knows about it...or perhaps they just don't care.

- Sony currently has a negative image - bad because people believe what they read.

- The console isn't that great. Sure it's a beast spec wise, but go read some reviews of the system and they'll be quick to point out features that don't quite deliver.

- Developers and publishers are starting to doubt the PS3 due to lacklustre sales. This is a big issue because the Playstation brand relies on its library to sell; if developers and publishers aren't putting out games Sony will lose.

They've always had a wider range of good games too which I don't expect to change, and the backwards compatability will also be a factor.
    See my last point. Obviously things could turn around. I'm not from the future. At the moment, however things aren't as fantastic as they seem.

The initial sales figures might not be great, but eventually they'll take off. Even if its 4 years from now like you predict.
    Yeah, once there's a dramatic price drop obviously more units shift. But four years is a long time. Competitors can steal a large chunk of your market share in that time. (Sony pinching Nintendo's marketshare with the original PlayStation for example)

If Sony are losing money on every unit sold at $1000 then its obviously got something better than the 'affordable' consoles.
    But that doesn't matter, because the others are more affordable therefore more people are naturally going to go for the more affordable stuff.

It's completely stupid to sell your product at a loss, even if it's the most powerful.

So they're already obsolete compared to the PS3. When it becomes 'affordable' the other companies may have caught up.
    Uhh...like the PS2 was when the GCN and Xbox were released? Yes, the PS2 has always been the least powerful, yet it was the strongest selling. At the moment, I'm really struggling to see PS3 games that are better than what the X360 is offering. Maybe later on I'll see the difference. The general consumer doesn't buy the most powerful console anyway so your point isn't really valid.

The glory days of Sony are over if the PS3 and Blu-ray flop.

Video games - serious business :P
    Last edited by aspher; 23-01-07 at 03:49 PM.

Im still going to buy it and love it

I LOVE MICHEL

Quote Originally Posted by aspher
    Uhh no. The PS2 was only $700 and something, and I'm fairly sure the PSX wasn't near $1000.

It's basically a disc that has a bigger capacity than a normal DVD disc. I don't know how anyone could possibly want to buy a PS3 without even knowing what it offers. The PS3 is 'value' if you plan to utilise its features, but if people don't even know the features and what they require (HDTV, purchasing Blu-ray DVDs for example), I am baffled how they justify $1000. Maybe I've been brought up valuing money different.

They were doing something right, but not any more. You can find a negative Sony story - from dodgy products to lawsuits - almost every week. The success of the PS2 can largely be put down to the fact it had DVD playback. It came out around the time DVDs were becoming popular. It was also the first 'next gen' (not including Dreamcast which flopped obvs.) console. The PSX was successful because the only real competition it had was from the N64 - a product that consumers and developers didn't like as much as they should have.

All these have gone with the PS3.

- It's the last system out here.

- It's the most expensive system out here.

- Its main selling point isn't popular at all here in Australia - and the proof is the fact you have no idea what blu-ray is. Sony have been banging on about blu-ray for ages, yet no one knows about it...or perhaps they just don't care.

- Sony currently has a negative image - bad because people believe what they read.

- The console isn't that great. Sure it's a beast spec wise, but go read some reviews of the system and they'll be quick to point out features that don't quite deliver.

- Developers and publishers are starting to doubt the PS3 due to lacklustre sales. This is a big issue because the Playstation brand relies on its library to sell; if developers and publishers aren't putting out games Sony will lose.

See my last point. Obviously things could turn around. I'm not from the future. At the moment, however things aren't as fantastic as they seem.

Yeah, once there's a dramatic price drop obviously more units shift. But four years is a long time. Competitors can steal a large chunk of your market share in that time. (Sony pinching Nintendo's marketshare with the original PlayStation for example)

But that doesn't matter, because the others are more affordable therefore more people are naturally going to go for the more affordable stuff.

It's completely stupid to sell your product at a loss, even if it's the most powerful.

Uhh...like the PS2 was when the GCN and Xbox were released? Yes, the PS2 has always been the least powerful, yet it was the strongest selling. At the moment, I'm really struggling to see PS3 games that are better than what the X360 is offering. Maybe later on I'll see the difference. The general consumer doesn't buy the most powerful console anyway so your point isn't really valid.

The glory days of Sony are over if the PS3 and Blu-ray flop.

Video games - serious business :P
    Sorry for quoting such a big post, but I agree 10000000000% on everything you just said there. No one could have put it better

At the moment, the only things going for the PS3 are:

- Blu-Ray, some people are buying the PS3 to act more as a Blu-Ray player than a gaming machine because it is much cheaper than a stand alone Blu-Ray player.

- "Cell", it will deliver awesome physics and detail and processing power.

- The name, with the success of PS1 and PS2, people will be buying the PS3 in hope that it lives up to the success of its predecessors.

I don't think the PS3 will "flop", but it certainly won't do as well as the Xbox 360 and the Wii.

The Wii is very cheap, and the intuitive controls are a very very strong seling point for people who don't want to get in to the technical detail. The Wii, just like the PS3, has its brand as its selling point also. All of you would be surprised at how many people still enjoy games from the SNES and N64, and no doubt that these people will get a Wii to play their favourite games like Zelda and Mario.

The Xbox 360 is great for "hardcore" gamers, with online gaming becoming more and more popular every day, and Microsoft have bought the rights to a few big name game developers, so we can expect a lot of great titles on it, as well as outstanding Microsoft titles like Halo 3, Gears of War and Forza Motorsport 2.
    Last edited by MonaroMan; 23-01-07 at 10:46 PM.

The year ahead in gaming

January 4, 2007
    LiveWire

With ever-more-powerful consoles and astonishing graphics, 2007 promises to be another exciting chapter for gaming, writes Jason HILL

AFTER an annus horribilis in 2006 despite the nce of the evergreen PlayStation 2, Sony's New Year resolution will be to attempt to restore its reputation as the gaming market leader.

PlayStation 3 will finally be released in Australia in March after production problems forced Sony to delay the launch.

PS3 is already available in the US and Japan, but Sony has been unable to meet demand and Australia's launch is likely to suffer from similarly limited hardware supply.

Sony also faces the enormous challenge of justifying the console's unprecedented price ($829 or $999) in the face of intense competition from lower-priced competitors Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii, which are already in thousands of Australian homes.

Sony is hoping consumers will pay a premium for the PS3's powerful Cell processor and Blu-ray disc drive, which accommodate graphically spectacular and elaborate virtual worlds.

Early games like Resistance, Heavenly Sword and MotorStorm are visually astonishing when played on a high-definition display, and PS3 can also play hi-def Blu-ray movies and digital music, surf the web, store photos, and download games, video and music. PS3 also offers the novelty of a new tilt-sensing controller, albeit not as radically innovative as Wii.

Nintendo had an astonishingly successful 2006 thanks to the DS hand-held and the radical Wii. It wants to continue its momentum with Wii games like WarioWare, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3.

Microsoft will also be trying to make the most of Xbox 360's head-start in the next-generation console battle, with Halo 3 as its most potent weapon. Other big 360 exclusives in 2007 include Forza 2, down and Mass Effect.

Microsoft will embark on a two-pronged assault on the gaming market via Windows Vista and new Live Anywhere functionality, which will let PC and console owners compete online. PC owners will also be salivating over games like Will Wright's astonishing Spore, Enemy Territory Quake Wars and Crysis.

Other big multiformat games for 2007 include Grand Theft Auto IV and Assassin's Creed.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/games/...500118505.html

Gates confident Xbox 360 will topple Sony

January 8, 2007

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates today called the early success of its Xbox 360 game console a role-reversing change of fortune for the software giant looking to overtake market leader Sony.

Gates also announced Microsoft would offer an Xbox 360 that doubles as a set-top box for its fledgling internet television (IPTV) service, or a "living room device that does it all."

The Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 console and Nintendo's Wii game machine are locked in a battle for leadership in the $US30 billion global video game market. Sony and Nintendo came out with their offerings in November, a year after Microsoft introduced the successor to the first Xbox.

Having beaten its target to ship more than 10 million units by year-end, Microsoft said Sony, which ted the last generation of consoles with its PlayStation 2, is the one playing catch-up.

"It's a complete reversal of last time," Gates said in an interview ahead of his keynote speech at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. "Last time, we tried coming in a year late with a big, clunky box that cost more and having less titles. We tried that and it's not that much fun."

Sony has had an iron grip on the video game console market with its two previous PlayStation s - combined unit sales of which have hit more than 200 million globally - but its launch of the PS3 was beset by delays.

Earlier, Sony said it met its goal of shipping 1 million PS3 consoles to North America by the end of 2006, but did so by diverting some units earmarked for Japanese consumers.

The PS3 retails for as much as $US600 in the United States versus about $US400 for the Xbox 360 and $US250 for the Wii.

Despite the price tag, Sony said it reached the 1-million-unit shipment mark for North America faster than it did with previous PlayStation consoles.

The Xbox 360 is increasingly becoming a main component of Microsoft's plan to take control of the digital living room.

The console's online marketplace allows users to buy TV shows and movies and it can also grab content on PCs around the home and put it on the living room display. Microsoft now wants to take it one step further with the IPTV service.

"People are underestimating the importance of the announcement that the video game is the set-top box and the set-top box is the video game," Gates said. "There's the living room device that does it all."

IPTV carriers, such as AT&T, will be able to offer the new set-top box in the 2007 holiday season to customers who want to play video games and watch TV from the web of a quality on par with cable or satellite.

Reuter
    I know these articles are a couple weeks old..but I hope they are still worth the read

Quote Originally Posted by aspher
    *SNIP*
    Mate you obviously know more about gaming and consoles than I do. Like I said, I'm not interested in purchasing a new console, as I haven't found myself playing a game in a very long time. The only reason the ps2 is getting used is cause the DVD player's batteries in the remote are dead, and I only remember every now and then when I watch a DVD, so its easier to throw it in the ps2 than hunt for some batteries.

I'll agree with what you said about people looking positivley at a ps3 purely on the past success of the other play stations. TBH thats why I said "IF I ever brought another console it'd be a PS3." But I doubt I'll buy another console, no matter how cheap as it would be purely for decoration beyond the initial novelty of a new toy value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

It's official, PlayStation 3 to hit Aussie shores March 23

Mitchell Bingemann, PC World

25/01/2007 12:50:07

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) has put eager PlayStation fans' fears to rest with confirmation that the PlayStation 3 will be launched across Europe and Australia on March 23.

Although Sony sells two different models (a high-end 60GB model and a 20GB model) of the game console in North America and Japan, only the 60GB model will be available for the Australian and European launch.

The high-end model, which comes with a 60GB hard drive, Blu-ray drive, WiFi support and memory card inputs, will retail for $999. The cheaper $829 version will be released later in the year if demand dictates.

SCE Australia public relations manager, Adrian Christie, denied suggestions that the decision to only release the high-end PS3 was due to unit shortages, but was in fact due to consumer demand as witnessed in other regions already selling the console.

"Feedback from our retailers and consumer demand has led us to concentrate on the one skew," he said. "It's all about what people want and they're all going for the higher end."

The PS3 was initially slated for a worldwide November launch last year but key component shortages for production of the included Blu-ray drive forced Sony to delay Australian and European launches. Only the US and Japan launched PS3 consoles in November and even then, the initial forecast of 2 million available units was drastically reduced to 500,000.

Christie would not reveal the number of available units for the Australian launch or quantity of pre-orders, but said "consumers will not be disappointed."

"We will be looking at pre-order numbers, assessing demand and then try to ensure that every consumer that wants to purchase has the opportunity to do so," he said.

Although Sony missed its 2006 end of year sales forecast of 2 million units sold (having just reached that figure in combined sales across Japan and North America last week), the company has stuck by its guns and expects to hit its 6 million sales target by the end of March 2007.

Despite the murky details of available launch consoles, one thing Australian consumers can look forward to is the bevy of titles Sony will release to coincide with the March 23 release. PlayStation 3's range of Australian launch games is expected to include Resistance: Fall of Man, Formula One, MotorStorm, Full Auto 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Tennis 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fight Night Round 3, Need for Speed Carbon, NBA 2K7, Call of Duty 3 and Ridge Racer 7.

The PlayStation Network online store will also feature downloads from launch day, including Gran Turismo HD Concept, Tekken: Dark Resurrection, Blast Factor, flOw, Go! Sudoku and Go! Puzzle.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;536385373

thanks for the post Michel

:win: awesome news

I LOVE MICHEL

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneBroncosRule
    thanks for the post Michel

:win: awesome news
    No probs cutie