Default Not Double Standards...... Searle

Not double standards - Searle

By James Hooper

December 14, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

WALLABY Mat Rogers will today be released from his $500,000 Australian Rugby Union contract on 'compassionate grounds', paving the way for a return to rugby league. Yet the NRL club to benefit, Gold Coast, is refusing to allow disgruntled winger Steve Turner to back out of his Titans deal on the same basis. JAMES HOOPER grilled Titans chief executive Michael Searle about the apparent hypocrisy.

Q: Will you allow Steve Turner to stay in Melbourne once you've officially announced Mat Rogers is joining the Titans?
    A: No.
    Q: Why not?
    A: Because they are completely unrelated issues. One has compassionate grounds and one has cold feet so at the end of the day Melbourne Storm have an obligation to come to a commercial settlement with us.
    Q: Rogers was released on compassionate grounds. Isn't it hypocritical of you to refuse to release Turner for the same reason?
    A: No. We agreed with Melbourne more than two weeks ago on a suitable outcome to resolve the issue, a player exchange, but since then they've refused to come to the party.
    Q: So you've got a player or players you're willing to exchange but the Storm have rejected the proposal?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Why?
    A: Because Brian Waldron says they've got contracts with the Storm for the next two years. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that what we've said all along about Steve Turner.
    Q: Doesn't it smack of double standards for you to release Frank Puletua on compassionate grounds, sign Rogers after his release from rugby on compassionate grounds but not allow Turner a release?
    A: In the meeting I had with Steve face-to-face I told him to give me everything he had, look me in the eye and be emphatic about why he didn't want to come to the Gold Coast. He came back with, 'There's no one dying in my family, no one's got cancer, I just want to stay in Melbourne, I love Melbourne, they know how to treat my injury, I've changed my mind'. I told him he needed to do better than that. He couldn't. Steve Turner's is an emotional issue. It's not a compassionate issue.
    Q: Did you try and persuade Rogers into joining the Gold Coast a year early after the Turner drama erupted though?
    A: No. We didn't sign Mat Rogers while he was under contract with the ARU. We signed him for 2008.
    Q: But you attended his golf day and then he attended the Bezzina function last week, surely that wasn't just coincidence.
    A: The only thing that was said at the Bezzina function was, 'Mate, if you get a release then we'll sit down and have a chat'.
    Q: Well surely that's an approach while he's under contract?
    A: No. We were merely clarifying our position if Mat was released from rugby, which he'd publicly expressed an intention to pursue.
    Q: What about the golf day then?
    A: We were always attending Mat's golf day. We agreed to go to the golf day when he signed for 2008 in September.
    Q: Surely you can't afford Turner and Rogers and remain under the salary cap?
    A: Ian Schubert's aware of our salary cap position and knows we can afford them both.
    Q: Does that leave Turner sitting out the season?
    A: Well there's got to be some form of compensation for Steve not coming to the Titans. But there's been no effort from Melbourne to try and source replacement players. None at all.
    Q: So does Turner have to sit out next season?
    A: I want Steve Turner to play next year so we've been negotiating in earnest. I would've preferred him play with the Titans, but he's not. I'm ready to do the deal. If Melbourne release two junior players then Steve Turner can be back at training on Monday. But they won't.
    Q: Will you make Turner sit out the season?
    A: That's not my choice it's Steve's.
    Q: He's clearly not coming.
    A: It's not my choice, it's his. He can always play football on the Gold Coast.
    Q: Morally, don't you feel responsible for a promising player's career?
    A: Steve, Brian and I and our clubs are all responsible. But the solution is simple. Melbourne release two juniors and Steve Turner's at training.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

GOOD! - Stand your ground Searle!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

As I said in another thread, the potential signing of Matt Rogers is of no concern to David Riolo, Steve Turner of the Melbourne Storm. Michael Searle has confirmed we can fit both players under the salary cap.

The two cases are totally unrelated - some good journalists and rugby league types commenting on this apparent "double standards" claim are deluded in their thinking or perhaps pushing another agenda? (News limited anyone? Are their journalists looking to back "their" club??? Makes you wonder ...)

Michael has handled this delicate situation perfectly. He sticks to the facts whereas others look to play a "smoke and mirrors" game diverting unwanted attention.

You get the impression from those journalists backing Melbourne that they believe Michael Searle is enjoying this "banter" - they couldn't be further off the mark. This is an unwanted situation for a club heading in to their first season in the NRL competition. It is taking time and effort away from other priorities that Searle and co. could be dealing with.

The deluded bunch will push their agenda in their News Limited papers until this situation is done with - we expect that - as fans of this soon-to-be great club, let's dig our heels in and support Michael and the Titans as we look to reach an amicable agreement so as a fine young talent is not lingering on the sidelines for the next three seasons.

If Melbourne are so hell bent on having Turner's contract registered for 2007 and beyond, why aren't they willing to release two unproven juniors?

They have one of the youngest teams in the competition, they have a plethora of backline talent plus covered the pending Turner loss with the talented Anthony Quinn ... hmm ...

Titan One Clubman

Melbourne should just take the gamble and release 2 juniors.. Afterall they might end up being duds...

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    Melbourne should just take the gamble and release 2 juniors.. Afterall they might end up being duds...
    I agree with you there

Nice to see Searle wont take crap.
    [

Hahaha, Searle couldn't lie straight in bed. Titans are going to fail because of him, and the way they have handled the off field issues.

Titan First Grade Regular

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Souths'n'Titans
    Hahaha, Searle couldn't lie straight in bed. Titans are going to fail because of him, and the way they have handled the off field issues.
    Dont say that!!
    [

Don't even bother replying to such a mundane post acting as bait Future Star.

Click here
    Last edited by DeeGan; 17-12-06 at 03:13 PM.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

What do you expect from a wooden spoon fan :whatd:

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    What do you expect from a wooden spoon fan :whatd:
    Meeting the level of a "fishermen" is just as bad

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Meeting the level of a "fishermen" is just as bad
    Fishing and pure truth are different stuff

Anyway back on this issue I just hope (like everyone) it is resolved sooner then later... While everyone loves a good off season soap opera it is just turning into a farce now..

p.s. On the subject of fishing, kudos to Searle for avoiding several of the hooks and lines Hooper through at him.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    Doesn't matter,they should send Turner up North & keep the juniors.Whether or not the juniors turn out to be any good is irrelevant.I would hate to see the NRL follow the AFL with player trades.It's best Turner heads North & plays with Titans.