Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dogs bid to keep Sonny Bill

Dogs bid to keep Sonny Bill
    By Brent Read and Margie McDonald
    December 13, 2006

THE Bulldogs could table their opening bid for Sonny Bill Williams as early as next week at a scheduled meeting between the New Zealand star's management and club officials.

Williams' manager Chris Orr confirmed talks would take place with the Bulldogs on Monday and he was hopeful the club would make an official offer to extend his deal, which expires at the end of the 2007 season.

Orr also moved to head off speculation linking Williams with the Australian Rugby Union, saying he and his brother Gavin would meet rugby officials today to discuss all their players who are coming off contract.

Orr said the meeting was not specifically convened to talk about the very talented Williams.

Williams is without doubt Orr's most prized client and his future has prompted a flurry of recent speculation linking him with a number of NRL clubs, most notably the Sydney Roosters.

However, his preference remains to stay at Belmore, the club which prepared him for his first-grade debut in 2004.

"We're hoping that something will come forward on Monday," Orr said.

Asked whether Williams' preference was to remain with the Bulldogs, Orr said: "We have always said that ... but it all depends on them.

"It's what sort of package they can manage and whether it's right for Sonny. If we can't get an acceptable package out of the Bulldogs then things change."

Under changes to NRL guidelines, which resulted in the scrapping of the June 30 anti-tampering deadline, rival clubs can hold talks with Williams and his management but a deal cannot be concluded before round 13 next year (in mid-June).

NSW and Australia prop Mark O'Meley will also come off contract at Belmore next spring and he continues to be linked with Cronulla.

But Williams is a trump at Belmore and his status led to reports yesterday that the ARU was a potential employer.

The ARU has targeted several big-name rugby league players in recent seasons including Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Wendell Sailor.

Sailor is serving a two-year ban, having tested positive to cocaine, while Rogers is likely to return to the NRL next season with Gold Coast.

Rogers rang the ARU yesterday seeking a meeting about winding up his $500,000 per year contract, which still has a year to run. A meeting has been organised for tomorrow.

Source Casey...

As for this, I hope the Bulldogs put his name from pen to paper sooner rather than later, as I know Sonny knows he owes the club for all the support and time it took with him during his injuries, however knowing Gavin Orr he will be shopped around to the ends of the day.

I really don't like Gavin Orr as a manager, as many Bulldogs fans don't, but that is for another day.

So yeah GO BULLDOGS and get Sonny and ensure he stays at the Blue and Whites for a while to come....

Titan Club Captain

I read this on foxsports.....

I wish his manager would **** off!!..he pee's me off baddddly.

Thanks Kimmy...

It sounds like Chris though is slightly better than Gavin....

At least Chris is realistic and reckons that staying at the Bulldogs is the best option, where as Gavin I am sure if it was his option would have him at an auction where highest bidder wins... :lol!:

Let's hope that the result is one that is the best for Sonny, not for the Orr Brothers coffers.

Titan Club Captain

He wouldnt make it in Union..well he would be a back imo, not a forward.

And not all players are like Brad Thorn, as if he would play for Australia in ANY SPORT especially union, seeing as he grew up playing it!!..im sure when he was younger he had a dream just like every other little boy in NZ to be an All Black one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Source Casey...
    does that mean you want me to put the website i got it from up there... since i forgot.

www.foxsports.com.au

Oops

to me sonny bill is to the bulldogs what karmichael hunt is to the broncos - a young superstar who i feel the dogs should keep as long as they can. then also it does come down to what sonny bill wants.

i agreed with gould when he said salary cap should only be for players you buy from other clubs.

Titan Club Captain

I'm torn between who we keep out of Hazem, O'Meley and SBW. Obviously Hazem will be at the top of the list..and we're obviously most likely going to lose either Shrek or Sonny..arg its hard to choose between them, but I think i'd go with Shrek, hes less injury prone, but then i think about how in a way Sonny owes us, we could have easily not offered him a contract, and last year we payed him to sit on the sidelines, and get caught drink driving...

Its a tough decision. =[

Titan First Grade Regular

SBW is to Injury-prone to make it in union.

In union he could end-up with 5,6 + bodies ontop of him, increasing a chance for injury.
    [

Well it looks like the Bulldogs have sorted something out with Sonny so they can both see there is a true opportunity for Sonny to stay in the Blue and White...

I think the offer here in this article suggested is a fair deal considering the injury problems Sonny has had and I think if it was up to him, he'd sign it as he knows how loyal the club has been to him.

Unfortunately for us, The Orr Brothers are involved and that always means trouble... lets hope they are happy and we see Sonny stay with the Bulldogs, as I think that is the best for his career to keep growing...

Sonny Bill's big deal
    By Peter Badel
    January 21, 2007 12:00

SONNY Bill Williams is expected to reject renewed interest from English Super League clubs by signing a contract with the Bulldogs worth almost $1.3million.

Williams' manager, Gavin Orr, gave the strongest indication yet that the Kiwi Test star would remain at Belmore after talks with club chief executive Malcolm Noad.

Off-contract at season's end, the 21-year-old last month flagged a possible big-money move to England. But it is understood Williams is satisfied with the financial terms of the Bulldogs deal and only needs to nut out marketing and commercial components before committing.

Under the proposed three-year contract, Williams will earn $400,000 a year for seasons 2008 and '09, before an increase - to an estimated $475,000 - for 2010.

The likely retention of Williams is a huge fillip for the Bulldogs, who have lost representative stars Braith Anasta, Nate Myles and Roy Asotasi in the past two seasons.

"Sonny, if he had his way, would want to stay at the Bulldogs,'' Orr said.

"We're going down that path. We've heard speculation from people asking is he going to the Titans, or the Warriors, or the Broncos, or the Roosters.

"At the end of the day, I said to Sonny let's just deal with one club - the one you want to be at - and if negotiations don't work out we'll look at another club.

"I've met with Malcolm (Noad), Keith Onslow (Bulldogs recruitment chief) and Peter Beaumont (marketing manager) and we had a very good discussion. We're very happy with how things are going at the moment.''

The only apparent stumbling block lies in the Bulldogs' capacity to procure corporate and sponsorship opportunities for Williams, one of the code's most marketable figures.

"It really comes down to third-party arrangements and what they are doing off the field for Sonny,'' Orr said.

"We want to see where the Bulldogs stand and what the NRL can also do for him. If we can sort something out there, his preferred option is to stay at the club.''

Underscoring his desire to remain at Belmore, Williams requested a longer-term arrangement with the Bulldogs. The club originally tabled a two-year deal.

Noad is confident the blockbusting forward will sign before the premiership kick-off on March 16.
    With Asotasi and Myles departing over summer, Williams will move into the back row full-time in 2007.

He spent time in the centres and off the interchange bench last year after returning from long-term knee and ankle injuries.

Well all non doggies supporters should be hoping Sonny takes this offer as it will prevent the over priced invalid ending up at their club. Anyone reckon he'll play 60 games by his next contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

grr... we better not spend too much money on him.... he is a valuable player yeh... but im still abit sus on his fitness.

Titan Club Captain

I want enough money left over for Haz and Shrek!!

But I do hope he re-signs with us

Default Souths target Sonny Bill

Souths Target Sonny Bill
    January 31, 2007

SOUTH Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court will today launch an audacious bid to sign rugby league superstar Sonny Bill Williams.

Holmes a Court will meet Williams's manager Gavin Orr today, revealing last night he would discuss signing Williams, among other players. Williams, 21, comes off contract with the Bulldogs after this season.

It would take an amazing offer to lure Williams to Redfern, but Roy Asotasi made the same contentious move this season.

A three-year offer from Souths would net Williams up to $1.5 million.

Orr and Holmes a Court will also discuss re-signing some of Souths' younger players.

"We have shown our capacity to buy players who are real stars," Holmes a Court said.

"We want to continue to do that, but it is equally important not to let any of our good young talent go either.

"But we will always look at an opportunity to bring in a marquee player.

"We don't need to hide from the fact we will continue to seek top players that fit into the needs of our coaching staff."

Williams's retention will be crucial for the Bulldogs, who have lost Braith Anasta, Nate Myles and Asotasi in the past two seasons.
    Source: foxsports.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Although I love watching Sonny play and I don't like Union much at all - I reckon that's the game for him. Far fewer games and more time to recuperate. That'd be more down his alley than the weekly grind of the NRL.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!