Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose
    Although I love watching Sonny play and I don't like Union much at all - I reckon that's the game for him. Far fewer games and more time to recuperate. That'd be more down his alley than the weekly grind of the NRL.
    No shoulder charge though..
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose
    Although I love watching Sonny play and I don't like Union much at all - I reckon that's the game for him. Far fewer games and more time to recuperate. That'd be more down his alley than the weekly grind of the NRL.
    Lol he'd get killed!!..especially if he was a forward, can you see him coming out of a scrum, or a ruck or maul alive?

Dogs could withdraw Sonny offer
    By Stuart Honeysett
    24feb07

THE Bulldogs are on the verge of withdrawing a $1.5 million, three-year offer for superstar Sonny Bill Williams.

It is understood the offer, which would make Williams the highest-paid player at the club, has been on the table for at least a fortnight and could be withdrawn as early as next week.

Bulldogs officials refused to discuss Williams' situation yesterday, but the club has previously shown a no-nonsense attitude with player negotiations.

Former Test centre Willie Tonga is the most obvious example after he decided to test his worth on the open market last year and the club withdraw its offer.

Tonga, who was eyeing a move to the North Queensland Cowboys or a switch to rugby, remained at Belmore after having a change of heart.

Williams' management team, Gavin and Chris Orr, has been in no rush to accept the offer, believing the Bulldogs backrower is worth at least $1 million a season. The Nine Network reported last night that Williams' management was also keen for a five-year contract.

The Orrs are subsequently exploring interest from other clubs after a report said one club was prepared to offer Williams a 10-year, $6 million contract.

As for Williams, he has managed to stay out of the dispute and will play tonight in a trial against St George-Illawarra at WIN Stadium.

The Dogs are desperate to retain their most damaging forward but are keen to sort the matter out sooner rather than later as they have a host of other players off-contract this season.

Since the NRL abolished the contentious June 30 anti-tampering deadline, clubs are free to negotiate with off-contract players at any time, which adds to the Bulldogs' sense of urgency.

Although Williams, 21, has a history of knee problems, he would be the hottest player on the open market if Belmore was no longer an option.

The Dogs have been negotiating with the New Zealand back rower since last year, upgrading their offer from $1.3 million to $1.5 million over three seasons.

Although details of the contract have not been disclosed, it is understood the Dogs have secured Williams a 'marquee' player sponsorship worth $50,000 a season that falls in line with salary cap guidelines.

The offer is a significant increase on the last contract he signed at Belmore and is also generous given he has only played 41 first-grade games because of injury since making his debut in 2004.

Adding to the Dogs' dilemma is the fact they have several other key players off-contract, including Test prop Mark O'Meley, New Zealand winger Matt Utai and goalkicking sharpshooter Hazem El Masri, all of whom they are keen to retain.

If the club were unable to come to terms with Williams, it would have more room to move under the salary cap to keep its other players.

O'Meley's manager Wayne Beavis said yesterday that there were sticking points in negotiations with his client.

"Discussions are continuing (with the Bulldogs) but the terms that are currently on offer are unacceptable," Beavis said. "I've had a few meetings with other clubs and that will all continue. It's a matter for them. It's up to the Dogs."

South Sydney has publicly expressed interest in Williams, with co-owner Peter Holmes a Court in talks with the Orr brothers over the retention of Souths backrower David Fa'alogo.

"We want to sign our existing guys before we look over the fence to see if the grass is greener," Holmes a Court said yesterday. "I am not in discussions on Sonny yet."

It remains to be seen how competitive an offer Souths could make for Williams given it is one of four NRL clubs in the hunt for Wallabies back Lote Tuqiri.

Holmes a Court gave Tuqiri a brief tour of the club's facilities at Erskineville Oval on Wednesday and is in the process of tabling an offer for the dual international.

Even if the Rabbitohs miss out on Tuqiri, it would still be tough to accommodate Williams under the NRL's $4 million salary cap given they splashed out last year to recruit Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell and Nigel Vagana.

The Sydney Roosters could also be interested in Williams, especially after the club this week withdrew from the race to sign Tuqiri.

However, the Roosters could be hampered by the fact they have several stars on their books in Anthony Minichiello, Braith Anasta and Ashley Harrison.

"We've got a new head coach (Chris Anderson) and the new head coach wants to appraise our current talent," chief executive Brian Canavan said yesterday.

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...E23209,00.html

Source: Channel 9 News

- The report states that the Dogs have got SBW deal sorted, with the Roosters today saying they are not interested in signing the star.

- Bulldogs say they will not register a contract less then 500k per season, making it hard for other clubs.

- NRL says that clubs looking to buy him for above that, must be very wary of their salary cap limits. And that they MUST include the figure in their salary cap.

Well this pretty much indicates that either Sonny heads overseas, or stays with us.. or goes to Union. The NRL have come to the Bulldogs rescue by enabling the Dogs to put the limit of agreement at lowest $500,000... which no club has under their salary cap to spend on one player... without losing a fair amount of their side.

Lets hope now this has occured, that Sonny's deal can be sorted out quickly, as there are bigger fish for the Blue and White to make sure they look after as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    No shoulder charge though..
    Might keep Joel Clinton at ease then

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Source: Channel 9 News

Well this pretty much indicates that either Sonny heads overseas, or stays with us.. or goes to Union. The NRL have come to the Bulldogs rescue by enabling the Dogs to put the limit of agreement at lowest $500,000... which no club has under their salary cap to spend on one player... without losing a fair amount of their side.

Lets hope now this has occured, that Sonny's deal can be sorted out quickly, as there are bigger fish for the Blue and White to make sure they look after as well....
    How did the NRL come to the dogs rescue? Sonny can still sign a $400,000 contract IF he wants. The dogs pretty much just put it out there to other clubs that if you wanna go to the auctions half a mill is the starting bid.

TBH though if I were the Bulldogs I'd be putting a bucket load of clauses in any contract I offered Sonny. lol I don't reckon I'd sign him on more than match payments.

Sonny Bill is a money hungry Pig!

How about he finishes just 1 season before whoring himself out again.

Im sick of hearing this guy linked to multi million dollar deals when he has done Nothing!

I would laugh if thats Souths offering the 6 million dollar 10 year deal, that would make Williams twice as expensive as the whole Souths Football club :lol!:
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    How did the NRL come to the dogs rescue? Sonny can still sign a $400,000 contract IF he wants. The dogs pretty much just put it out there to other clubs that if you wanna go to the auctions half a mill is the starting bid.

TBH though if I were the Bulldogs I'd be putting a bucket load of clauses in any contract I offered Sonny. lol I don't reckon I'd sign him on more than match payments.
    That is right... and the NRL have said that any club that offers him more than $500,000 is going to be severly audited... so I don't know whether any club would want to offer him that and then have to lose half their side... that is how the NRL have helped...

Sonny can't sign a $400,000 contract, they were saying on Channel 9 the NRL have told other clubs that the Bulldogs have final say and they stated they will disapprove anything less than $500,000.

LOL Coaster, I agree... imagine that, Souths would have a player who could by the leagues club.......Sorry Souths Fans....

Sonny can't sign a $400,000 contract, they were saying on Channel 9 the NRL have told other clubs that the Bulldogs have final say and they stated they will disapprove anything less than $500,000.
    Surely not.. Sonny must have the last say in where he plays. How can the NRL set minimum value on a player? What if Sonny had some desire to return to New Zealand and the Warriors offered him a reduced price but he wanted to take it as a way to get back living in NZ? Or what if another club offers the same amount, but the contract conditions suit Sonny more?

And why is this case more of a stand out for the NRL in terms of salary cap breach? The fact they felt the need to warn clubs after the Bulldogs and more recently Warriors breaches seems strange to me, surely no club needs a 'reminder' that the salary cap is a rule, not a mere suggested price tag for your top 25. Every club should be audited the same, every year, not one club more than another because they manage to secure a highly contested signature.

Well they are having discussion over it on another forum... no I also heard the news article...

The discussion apparently says it's the NRL that have said $500,000 minimum on SBW... which means the Bulldogs will have to pay that too if they want to keep him. I didn't hear that part on the news article, but I will listen to the news later on and if it comes up confirm whether that was the Bulldogs or NRL.

The NRL believe SBW is worth $1m.... which IMO is darn right ludicrious of them... I can think of players in the NRL better than SBW and worth more.

I think the NRL were laying the law down on how much you can spend... I can assure you Souths will get a fine tooth comb covered over them after their spending... it's pretty naive to think the NRL treats everyone fairly... cause they don't.

Well they are having discussion over it on another forum... no I also heard the news article...

The discussion apparently says it's the NRL that have said $500,000 minimum on SBW... which means the Bulldogs will have to pay that too if they want to keep him. I didn't hear that part on the news article, but I will listen to the news later on and if it comes up confirm whether that was the Bulldogs or NRL.

The NRL believe SBW is worth $1m.... which IMO is darn right ludicrious of them... I can think of players in the NRL better than SBW and worth more.

I think the NRL were laying the law down on how much you can spend... I can assure you Souths will get a fine tooth comb covered over them after their spending... it's pretty naive to think the NRL treats everyone fairly... cause they don't.
    I didn't know the NRL decided a player's worth. Thats ridiculous they can interfere like this.

Souths ought to have a fine tooth comb run through them. Whether it finds anything or not is a whole other story. I'm sure between Holmes a Court and Russ, they could find some pretty crafty accountants. Just duck down to Bondi and get some numbers lol.

I know it would be naive to think that, and I don't think that, however I do think that they shouldn't make it so bloody obvious that they have their biases.

Titan Club Captain

**** off gavin orr you money hungry whore!!

looks lke sherk, and possibly utai are gorrrrrrrne

would rather have shrek and utai over sbw.

Well done to Brett Read... sums it up best right here. SBW's past few seasons have been anything but impressive... he should take the decent deal he is getting and get on with playing footy... too bad Orr won't let him...

Williams must tread carefully
    By Brent Read
    February 28, 2007

SONNY Bill Williams needs to wake up. The Bulldogs star and his management are doing themselves no favours by demurring on signing a $1.5 million deal with the club.

No one doubts Williams could one day be remembered as one of the game's all-time greats. But his past two seasons have been anything but brilliant.

The 21 year old played only five games in 2005 as he struggled with knee problems. Last year he squeezed 21 games out of his battered body, showing only flashes of the form that had him hailed as the game's next big thing.

Yet despite his well-documented injury problems, the Bulldogs have tabled an offer that would make him the highest paid player at the club.

But that's not good enough for Williams, or so it seems. It is certainly not good enough for his manager Gavin Orr.

Orr has publicly boasted Williams is a million-dollar-a-year player.

That is ridiculous, much like the reports last week suggesting one club was ready to weigh in with a 10-year deal for the New Zealand international.

Orr has asked the Bulldogs to source third-party sponsors to top up their offer to Williams. The Bulldogs are understandably frustrated. So much so, they are considering pulling the offer.

It would be a drastic move but who could blame them?

It should not fall to the Bulldogs to find sponsors for Williams. Isn't that one of the reasons players hire agents? Managers usually receive six per cent of playing contracts but generally claim anything up to 20 per cent on endorsement deals.

If the Bulldogs arrange the deals, will Orr still insist on his cut? As one leading manager said: "You don't get a free-kick, put it that way."

Clubs are often lambasted for not showing their players loyalty. But it works both ways. The Dogs have bent over backwards for Williams.

Their offer is a fair one, given his recent injury problems and form.

If he reaches his potential over the next three years, he could write his own ticket when he next comes off contract.

Maybe then the game could afford a million-dollar player. At the moment, with a $4 million cap, the game's failure to expand significantly beyond Queensland and NSW, and its limited corporate support, it is simply unrealistic.

So Sonny, here's a free piece of advice:

When you rise this morning, jump in your car and make a beeline for Belmore.

When you arrive, march into chief executive Malcolm Noad's office, ask for a pen and sign on the dotted line.

Then go home and enjoy what's left of your day off.

Dogs greats want Sonny loyalty
    By Brent Read
    February 28, 2007

BULLDOGS greats Steve Mortimer and Geoff Robinson have called on Sonny Bill Williams to show loyalty and end conjecture over his future.

They want Williams to accept a $1.5 million offer which would keep him at the Belmore club until the end of 2010.

Williams, off contract at the end of the season, has been offered a deal which would make him the highest-paid player at the club and one of the best-paid in the game.

However, the New Zealand international and his management continue to play a dangerous game by holding out for better terms.

The Bulldogs are on the verge of withdrawing their latest offer, such is the club's frustration with the protracted negotiations.

Mortimer, the Bulldogs' greatest player and former chief executive, and premiership-winning forward Robinson last night claimed Williams would be best served by remaining at Belmore.

Mortimer, who led the club to its 1984 and 1985 grand final wins, said he rejected higher offers during his career to remain at the Bulldogs. And he never regretted the decision.

"I am glad I did it," Mortimer said.

"If you look at the Bulldogs, they have looked after him on and off the field.

"I have a feeling deep down that Sonny Bill will want to be at the Bulldogs, which I think is good for everyone.

"I think he should sign with Canterbury ... rather than his manager hanging out for another $100,000."

Robinson, like Mortimer, a member of the club's 1980 premiership side, called on Williams to reward the Bulldogs for standing behind him during his well-documented injury woes.

Williams has only played 41 games since making his debut in the opening round of the 2004 season due to ongoing knee problems.

Last season he appeared in 21 games but showed only flashes of the form which had him earmarked as the game's next superstar.

Despite being dogged by knee problems, the Bulldogs have made him their priority signing, jeopardising their ability to retain their other off-contract stars - Test prop Mark O'Meley, wing Hazem El Masri and New Zealand wing Matt Utai.

"I would love to see him stay at the Dogs," Robinson said.

"I think these days there's not a great deal of loyalty. Loyalty goes a lot further than money. The club will look after him after football."

Mortimer said he expected loyalty to play a part in Williams' decision.

"I'm sure that would come into his calculations when he makes a decision," Mortimer said.

Mortimer and Robinson stressed they had the utmost respect for Williams as a person, describing him as humble and family-oriented.

And both predicted he was ready to rid himself of his injury problems as his body reached maturity.

Robinson went a step further, describing Williams as the player the club should build itself around.

"I haven't had a great deal of time with the bloke, but the times I have met him he seems like a loyal person," Robinson said.

"He's from the old school. He's a pretty well-disciplined kid from what I have been told.

"I hope they can keep him. I think if you're going to build a side around anyone over the next couple of years, you can build a side around Sonny."

If Williams does decide to stay at the Bulldogs, former prop Paul Dunn, winner of the Clive Churchill Medal in the 1988 grand final, predicts he will only improve as a player.

"There are blokes there that have improved out of sight," Dunn said.

"Canterbury is one of the best places to bring players along and nurture them."

At $500,000 a season I don't think loyalty even has to play a part in Sonny re-signing. He has not proven himself to be worth that much money, let alone the $1 million his dope of a manager is sprouting about. If it were my club, I'd be a bit pissed they were willing to lose a test prop in O'Meley and a club stalwart and icon in Hazem El Masri, all to retain this invalid. Why don't the Dogs put their loyalties towards blokes who deserve it, instead of SBW and his puppeteer, Gavin Orr. Let some other club put up with this crap, and if he turns out to be an expensive bench warmer, count yourselves lucky. If he turns out to be a champion, oh well, he certainly won't be the last kid with above average skills.

I smell another salary cap infringement coming on.