Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Lions v Kiwis mid season test scrapped...

THE CONTROVERSIAL mid-season test between the Kiwis and Great Britain has been scrapped after the NZRL could not secure NRL support to send a full- strength team
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...1a1823,00.html
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I hope the Lions now play France and do not scrap the international fixture all together.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Very disappointed that the NRL and the teams couldn't guarantee New Zealand that players would be available. Players should be made available under all circumstances, no matter what the NRL and the clubs think.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Very disappointed that the NRL and the teams couldn't guarantee New Zealand that players would be available. Players should be made available under all circumstances, no matter what the NRL and the clubs think.
    I wouldn't be too happy if my star playmaker getting the largest chunk of the teams salary cap had to trip off mid season. Even less if he suffered an injury that put my teams season down the drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    I wouldn't be too happy if my star playmaker getting the largest chunk of the teams salary cap had to trip off mid season. Even less if he suffered an injury that put my teams season down the drain.
    I agree, what if Benji and his glass-shoulder act up again? the Tigers will almost have no hope, with Prince gone
    [

OK, so a club game means more to you two than an International game. How's about we scrap the ANZAC tes then? And why not scrap the Tri-Nations? And the World Cup? We don't want our star players getting injured and not being able to play for our club....

No, no - Club games mean more to us when they dont involve australia :emp:
    [

OK, so a club game means more to you two than an International game. How's about we scrap the ANZAC tes then? And why not scrap the Tri-Nations? And the World Cup? We don't want our star players getting injured and not being able to play for our club....
    Well we could totally overreact and throw the rep calendar in the bin or just keep the discussion to what my post was originally about..

Maybe a single club game doesn't mean more than an international fixture, but an NRL season does. What do they get for playing an international now? 12K or something? What does their club pay them to play NRL?

Like it or not the NRL is the grand stage of Rugby League. Its the elite competition, second to none. Without it, forget international games, forget professional rugby league of a marketable standard all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    No, no - Club games mean more to us when they dont involve australia :emp:
    And it is that egotistic attitude that has hampered the rise of International Rugby League

And it is that egotistic attitude that has hampered the rise of International Rugby League
    I'll agree with that.

Well we could totally overreact and throw the rep calendar in the bin or just keep the discussion to what my post was originally about..

Maybe a single club game doesn't mean more than an international fixture, but an NRL season does. What do they get for playing an international now? 12K or something? What does their club pay them to play NRL?

Like it or not the NRL is the grand stage of Rugby League. Its the elite competition, second to none. Without it, forget international games, forget professional rugby league of a marketable standard all together.
    That post implies the exact same thing your previous post did. You are making club footy seem more important than international footy, and telling players that the money is more important than the pride of playing for their country. If we can't have a NZ vs GB game because of the fear that players are going to get injured and miss club games, then we shouldn't have an AUS vs NZ game either then...

The big point of difference between the Lions vs Kiwis match and the ANZAC test is the distance of travel for the teams.

Lions vs Kiwis: One team has to travel across the world, re-adjust to the new time zone and play a game and somehow get back and play 100% for their employer soon thereafter the game.

Whilst the ANZAC Test: The Kiwis only have a two-three hour flight which is usually apart of their routines as professional footballers in the NRL.

Personally I would like to see the French and GB play against each other. It is more viable for rugby league in the long run.

geez - it was a joke!
    [

That post implies the exact same thing your previous post did.
    Well thats because my opinion hasn't changed..

You are making club footy seem more important than international footy, and telling players that the money is more important than the pride of playing for their country.
    I never said money over pride, but if I were signing the cheques, I would certainly be looking at it from a monetairy point of view, rather than a patriotic one simply for the success of the club.

If we can't have a NZ vs GB game because of the fear that players are going to get injured and miss club games, then we shouldn't have an AUS vs NZ game either then...
    I see your point entirely. Why is it that the NRL clubs don't mind their players playing in the ANZAC game, but refuse to let their players play NZ v GB? I'm guessing maybe the travel factor, or they have the same view as Future Star and don't give a toss unless it involves Australia.

I never said money over pride, but if I were signing the cheques, I would certainly be looking at it from a monetairy point of view, rather than a patriotic one simply for the success of the club.
    Well thats what you were implying, especially with this quote

"I wouldn't be too happy if my star playmaker getting the largest chunk of the teams salary cap had to trip off mid season. Even less if he suffered an injury that put my teams season down the drain."

I think the improvement of International Rugby League is worth the risk of one of my star players getting injured. International Rugby League should be a worthy pinnacle of our game, that should rival Rugby Union.

I see your point entirely. Why is it that the NRL clubs don't mind their players playing in the ANZAC game, but refuse to let their players play NZ v GB? I'm guessing maybe the travel factor, or they have the same view as Future Star and don't give a toss unless it involves Australia.
    As Queenslander said before, it is partly because of the travel factor. But I also believe it is because Australia is not involved.