Default NRL: Broncos: Ennis saved by a "guardian angel"

Saved by an angel
    Mick Daly
    December 04, 2006 11:00pm

BRONCOS comeback kid Mick Ennis has revealed how the loving and loyal support of his "guardian angel", fiancee Simone Anslow, helped rescue him from the pits of depression.

Ennis, 22, last night spoke candidly of his battle to overcome the mental demons that threatened to ruin his career after his season-ending knee injury in April.

Ennis's world was flipped upside down and he shed tears during his lonely, laborious road to recovery.

He credited long-time partner Simone, whom he will marry in Sydney next November, for saving him from self-destruction during his year from hell.

"She gets my mind away from footy," Ennis said. "We are best mates. We went down the Gold Coast a few times, we went up the Sunshine Coast, we did a lot of things together. It certainly made the six months more enjoyable.

"She is why I am now in the positive frame of mind I'm in."

Hooker Ennis hurt his knee against South Sydney in round 5 and could only look on as the Broncos surged to their first premiership in six years.

To rub salt into his wounds, centre Shaun Berrigan starred when shifted to dummy-half late in the season, snaring the Clive Churchill Medal and featuring in Australia's Tri-Nations triumph.

Asked whether he had suffered depression during his time out, Ennis said: "I felt I did, especially the first few days after I got injured. It was traumatic . . . a very difficult thing.

"I felt like everything had just come crashing down on me. I was throwing a lot of questions at myself.

"I probably got down again midway through the season."

The Broncos returned to training yesterday and Ennis is approaching the February 23 World Club Challenge against St Helens in England as "my grand final".

He said he was unconcerned by Berrigan's stunning move to hooker, insisting they could be dual "weapons" in the position.

"Berro and I are different styles of footballers and we can both offer a lot," Ennis said.

"If anything, sitting and watching the grand final has made me a lot more hungry to want to be a part of one."

The Courier Mail

That's a good story.

It's a shame he did get injured, I was very excited how he would do in the rest of the season after a good start.
    I was interested to see his potential being a purchased 1st grader (considering the Broncos grow em, not buy em).

Hopefully he is injury free next year and he will be a great asset to the team.
    Signature removed as per member guidelines