Default Johns set to quit Knights

Johns set to quit Knights
    Will Swanton
    December 3, 2006

ANDREW Johns is considering dropping a bombshell on the NRL by finishing his career in England.

Arguably Australia's greatest player, Johns is contracted to the Newcastle Knights for the next two seasons, with an option for 2008.

But the former Test captain has revealed his farewell season could be in England for big bucks rather than in Australia. That would set the scene for a possible contractual wrangle with the club he has served with distinction for 14 years.

Johns, who discussed his future as recently as Friday with his manager John Fordham, had a brief stint with Wolves at the end of last year.

He has maintained contact with the club, including its cashed-up owner Simon Moran, and whispers about his return to England are about to become a roar.

"I've spoken to Simon loosely about it," Johns said. "There's nothing concrete but I said I'd tell the Knights mid-year what I'm doing.

"There are a lot of things to sort out and a lot of variables. I'll see how the body is feeling and the mind is feeling.

"If I was going to the UK, I wouldn't play with any other team apart from Warrington. They were so professional and I couldn't believe how they set up everything to welcome me, so I feel like I owe them one.

"I'll give a lot of thought to it because I'd like another stint there. It would probably be for one year because I'm not getting any younger."

Johns's contract with the Knights stipulates he cannot play for any other club, in Australia or overseas, or go to rugby union, if he opts against playing for the Knights in 2008. But the Knights will be under pressure to allow him to leave.

"Andrew is contracted to Newcastle for another two years and we'd expect him to be playing with us," Knights football manager Steve Crowe said.

NRL boss David Gallop admitted Johns would be a huge loss.

"I would say it's an issue between Joey and the Knights," he said.

"Beyond that, it's not unusual for players to end their career in the UK."

Johns cannot scratch his nose without attracting attention in Newcastle - a high profile he hates - and the prospect of a comparatively low-key existence, not to mention a healthy injection of funds into his bank account, holds plenty of appeal.

"I loved it over there," he told The Warrington Guardian. "I had a sensational time and really enjoyed it. The way the club treated me and went out of their way was fantastic.

"The players were sensational and I liked living there, too. You could go 10 minutes down the road to Liverpool or Manchester and no one knew you. That's why I wouldn't mind another stint there."

The NRL's scrapping of the anti-tampering laws means the Wolves can start formal negotiations with Johns whenever they want.

Fordham said: "Since he played at Warrington last year the club's owner has continually reminded Andrew and me that they would dearly love to have him on board when his commitments with the Newcastle Knights are finished.

"I had a discussion with Andrew on Friday about a range of issues.

"He will be making no decision about 2008 until well into the 2007 season, when he will be able to monitor how he's performing, how his health is and what interest level is there. The decision is still very much up in the air."

Source: Sun Herald

League reporters getting bored in the off season. Since about April last year Johns has been saying he'd let the Knights know what he's doing around mid 2007. Surely a return to England doesn't come as a huge shock.

Regardless of what his contract says, I don't see the Knights fighting to keep him another season if he wants to be in the UK. I'm sure Johns will return to Newcastle in some coaching capacity after retirement so I don't think the Knights would want to jeopardise that by a dirty legal battle over where one of the best to lace a boot plays his last 20 odd games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

So true that - But i cant see Joey in a coaching position for some reason..
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    So true that - But i cant see Joey in a coaching position for some reason..
    I don't mean head coach, but who better to talk to than Andrew Johns if your a young half back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    I don't mean head coach, but who better to talk to than Andrew Johns if your a young half back?
    Andrew Dunneman?

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Matty Johns (we saw what he did to the Super Cooper)?
    [

Just as long as he stays in rugby league.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

wow 14 years thats a lot... he will be an assitant coach at Knights in a couple years after his retirement just like Brad Fitler and the Roosters.