Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default O'Meley linked with Sharks

O'Meley linked with Sharks
    By James Hooper
    December 01, 2006 AUSTRALIA enforcer Mark O'Meley is poised to walk away from the Bulldogs to join the Sharks in 2008.

Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce last night confirmed the Shire outfit was interested in luring the prop after his Bulldogs contract expires.

O'Meley, 25, wants to sign a long-term deal and his close-knit relationship with new Sharks coach Ricky Stuart is expected to deliver him to Cronulla.

"(Bulldogs chief executive) Malcolm Noad told me Mark was coming to our club over breakfast this morning," Pierce said.

"We had a bit of a laugh about it but in all seriousness we've never spoken to him.

"Obviously we would be interested in having a talk to him, he's a Test front rower after all.

"If he decided he wanted to leave Canterbury, we'd be more than happy to talk to him."

The Sharks have several key players off contract next season, including Brett Kimmorley, Adam Dykes, Reece Williams, Paul Gallen and David Simmonds.

Noad said the 2004 premiers were intent on keeping O'Meley and Sonny Bill Williams.

But the Belmore outfit faces an uphill assignment to squeeze both players in their roster because of salary cap pressure.

Daily Telegraph

Mark O'Meley should be paid what he is worth. This is a NSW and Australian star that takes a back seat to Willie Mason and Sonny-Bill Williams in terms on dollars on the contract.

Mark should be getting somewhat near the equal of Mason and SBW is not worth a cent more despite the hype. SBW is one of my favourite players in the game, no doubt, though a 21 y.o. kid who spends a lot of time off the field (41 games since debuting in Rd1 in 2004) is not worth the money he is claimed to receive. Hell, St Helens once upon a time were going to pay him $900,000 a season I remember reading - ridiculous.

I rate Mark O'Meley as one of the best front rowers in the game. he is an agressive player which is what i like about him and he has alot of detirmination. He is only young so if Cronulla are going to sign him they have to sign him for a long term deal.

Gee i only wish it was Newcastle after him not Cronulla.

You little beauty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

If this does happen i wonder which players the sharks are going to loose out of this ?

I dunno Grimmace. Can't really think about it at the moment either, too busy salavating over the though of Mark O'Meley, Ben Ross, Craig Stapleton, Luke Douglas, Paul Gallen, Greg Bird and last but not least Lance Thomson all leading the way in black, white and blue. We'd even be a good chance with dodgy halves lol.

If Paul Gallen wanted a release last year, he may not be there in 08 and its pretty safe to assume that you will loose either Kimmorley or Dykes for doing this.

He was to stay now:

Gallen: I'd like to stay now

PETER BADEL
    26 November 2006
    Sunday Telegraph

CRONULLA powerhouse Paul Gallen is set to commence talks on a lucrative new deal with the Sharks -- nine weeks after demanding a release from the club.

The NSW Origin back-rower will open negotiations with Sharks boss Greg Pierce and coach Ricky Stuart when the latter returns from Tri-Nations duty with Australia.

Gallen, 25, wants a two-year extension -- which would tie him to the club until the end of 2009 -- and to finish his career with the Sharks.

"I've had a chat with my manager about it and this will be the biggest contract of my career," Gallen said.

"It might be wise to keep my options open but with Ricky coming to the Sharks, I think the place is definitely on the way up and I'd be more than happy to stay. Hopefully everything falls into place.

"I'd like another two [years], that would give me 10 years at the club. That's something I'm keen to do, stay with the one club my entire career."

Gallen's stance is a big fillip for the Sharks, who were stunned in September when the damaging forward asked for a release with 12 months still to run on his contract.

The Sharks rejected the offer, but Gallen insists he has no regrets over the affair.

"I'm not disappointed in asking for a release because you are only in this game for a short time and you have to do the best you can," he said. "It didn't make me look the best, but that's in the past."

Pierce said the club would welcome an extension. "We never wanted to let him go," Pierce said. "I'd be more than happy to sit down with him and extend his contract."

Titan Club Captain

2 things.

a) Its written by the Daily Telecrap..I don't know whether to believe anything they write about the Bulldogs tbh..

and

b) this quote "We had a bit of a laugh about it but in all seriousness we've never spoken to him.

I shall only believe any of this if it comes from the Bulldogs..or Shrek's mouth.

This story has been well documented since last year except it was with the roosters ( as ricky was coaching there)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    This story has been well documented since last year except it was with the roosters ( as ricky was coaching there)
    Exactly. I don't think O'Meley cares where he plays, as long as Ricky Stuart is the coach.

send Ben Ross back to Penrith ! that should free up some money :ok: :ok:

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Ale Panther
    send Ben Ross back to Penrith ! that should free up some money :ok: :ok:
    hahaha! Never! He's ours now!

Keep wishing CS... it might happen... but as Kimmy said, we've heard this all before.

I do reckon we will have a hard time keeping Shrek, and if we can't any club bar the Roosters will suit nicely... however I am sure that 2007 will see Shrek continue to become a bigger leader at the club and that might help us have a shot at retaining him.

But as has been said, we've heard these articles before.... until Mark says himself he's looking elsewhere, I ain't going to think about him leaving just yet.

Titan First Grade Regular

:emp: He'd look better in lime green then any other colour
    [