Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Default The Music Thread

what i live for.

Give 10 of your favourite bands, plus a bit of an intro for those who might not know much about them.

And list any gigs that you're going to soonish.

I'll start!

beastie boys - all time favourite... alt-rock-hip-hop gods. hilarious, and their personalities really come through in the lyrics.

eels - moody, sometimes very emotional soft rock. electroshock blues is one of the best and saddest albums ever, written about the death of close family and his mental breakdowns following.

The White Stripes - gritty blues-rock due from detroit. simple stripped back rock with lots of staying power.

The Streets - one of the best lyricists of our time, Mike Skinner! Thick English accent, thick beats, recorded in his own bedroom and with lyrics that paint scenes so perfectly ('A Grand Don't Come For Free' is like a movieplot from start to finish, with each song related)

The Flaming Lips - Perhaps the greatest live show i've ever been too... the music and their live performances are like something from another world. just beautiful and really trippy.

Kings Of Leon - southern rock with ragged guitars, gruffvoiced singing, and plenty of heart.

Ryan Adams - alt-country saviour. mixes rock, country, and blues together into a awesome blend.

Daft Punk - electrogods. may have faded away slightly in recent times, but these robots are human after all.

The Mars Volta - the led zeppelin of the new millenium. prog-rock post-punk mixed in with freejazz and influences from their latin background. half in english, half in spanich... crazy guitar work, crazier singing, and the best drumming in the world. most songs exceed the ten minute barrier, with their record sitting at around 30minutes.

Madvillain - the best thing currently in hip hop. madlips leftfield production with MF dooms deepvoiced layed back rapping.

and i'll be at these gigs:

The Hives
    eels
    Wolfmother

Wow - for me this'll take some thinking. Ill have to get back to you on this one. :confused:

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

just put down whatever comes to mind, that's not my "definative" top ten by any means.

Well one obvious one is to look at my sig.

To me Metallica epitomise everything I love about live music. They put absolutly everything into their performances and the atmosphere just sizzles. I have been to 5 concerts of theirs and havent failed to leave one so pumped up and alive! The energy anf feeling put into their albums\gigs is awesome. I hate bands that record and play like garbage.

Another "sound" I like is the Ministry Of Sound Label. Especially the Guide to Breaks series. Some Serious Breaks mixed in with some heart thumping D'&'B. Good to get the old legs and everything else moving.

Pink Floyd - Amazing eclectic sound.

Black Sabbath - The pre-cursors of most modern music. From Metal to Funk. They played with heavy guitars over a blues driven bass line with early funk drum patterns.

There is 4 - more to follow.

I love Enter Sandman

hmm...I wouldn't call this my top 10. These are 10 of my favourites, in no particular order.

Audioslave - Great band. Chris Cornell and Tom Morello are absolute gods.

Staind - Aaron Lewis is a genius.

Murderdolls - All my favourite genres rolled into one, couldn't ask for me. Shame they've now split.

Marilyn Manson - I don't care what the people say, he's one of the deepest, most intelligent humans in the industry.

Devildriver - Metal.

Ill Nino - They're original. Own brand of music, sensational band, I love them.

36 Crazyfists - Another different bunch with their own style.

Crossfade - They're awesome, something different.

Wednesday 13 - Similar to the Murderdolls but not as good. Headlined by former 'Dolls lead, Wednesday 13.

Nirvana - Enough said.

Notable mentions to the Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Disturbed, RHCP and any other band that I like that I can't think of at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    I love Enter Sandman
    Great song. Can't get enough of it.

Same with Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit.(has any one see the Scared Weird Little guys version on the Footy show)

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    Same with Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit.(has any one see the Scared Weird Little guys version on the Footy show)

YES!!! How good was it! It cracked me up!

Titan CEO

metallica- they were and still are awesome....

fear factory- METAL!!!!

static-x- altho some songs are a bit sucky...they have a few quailty songs

twiztid- evil, evil, evil....just what i like.

megadeth- the best!

slipknot- i dont care if people think they are sell outs or mainstream...i like alot of thier stuff.

Ill nino- mix of metal and latin....really good.

kiss- love their stuff.

deftones- shove it!!!

local metal- any local metal ...some around my area are :baraka(now broke up) and dyasphere
    Last edited by super cronk; 24-09-05 at 11:09 PM.

Hehe couldnt help myself sorry "Megadeth" Added an A.

God Im a pedantic prick huh?

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Hehe couldnt help myself sorry "Megadeth" Added an A.

God Im a pedantic prick huh?

oops....yeah i always add the A when spelling their name....im just so used to the word DEATH and i mis-spell it.

your just getting me back for pointing out the ULRICH spelling arent you? hahah its all good.

Nice topic.

I am not one to have a genre when it comes to music, I can sit back listen to Frank Sinatra, mix it up with Marilyn Manson or chill to the soothing tunes of Ben Harper.

Here is my selection (likely to change every week lol):

* Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
    * Coldplay
    * Pete Murray
    * Powderfinger
    * LIVE
    * The Rolling Stones
    * Marilyn Manson
    * Black Eyed Peas
    * INXS
    * U2

This was TOO HARD Steve lol

Cheers

DeeGan

Dream Theater - Brilliant group one of the most talented groups ever.

Iron Maiden - Been a long time fan and still love what they do. Just hate how they're Australia CD releases come with copy protection
    Ah well Amazon.com still sells proper CD's though

Opeth - Progressive death metal. A truelly unique group whose songs can be as gentle as a pond and as angry as a sea in a raging storm and that's all in the one song.

Megadeth - long time favorites

Anthrax - Always a sense of fun

Queensryche - not as great as they once were but there old stuff is all brilliant

Blind Guardian - Power metal with a fantasy theme.

Iced Earth - similar to BG. Do a lot of original things with their songs

Slayer - True masters of Thrash

Pantera - A pity they can never be re-formed. The music industry is crying out for a new CD from the great souther trendkillers and can never happen

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Nice topic.

I am not one to have a genre when it comes to music, I can sit back listen to Frank Sinatra, mix it up with Marilyn Manson or chill to the soothing tunes of Ben Harper.

Here is my selection (likely to change every week lol):

* Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
    * Coldplay
    * Pete Murray
    * Powderfinger
    * LIVE
    * The Rolling Stones
    * Marilyn Manson
    * Black Eyed Peas
    * INXS
    * U2

This was TOO HARD Steve lol

Cheers

DeeGan
    Manson and Sinatra...lol dude, that is an interesting mix.

Bands like INXS, LIVE, The Rolling Stones and U2 deserve God status. I watched the Live at Wembley Stadium concert on Fox 8 tonight that INXS did in 1991, it was awesome. Thats the only word I can use. Those guys are sensational.

Anyone see their new lead singer?