Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default It's official walker a titan

Well with all the talk about it i'm not suprised he got signed. Now this has to be his last chance as no other club wanted him.

He has to make the most of it and no crap.

Good luck to Walker.
    Yes, TRF he needs to give 100% all the time

Titan First Grade Regular

If he behaves hes good enuff for me..
    [

Walker given NRL lifeline by Titans
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:20 PM

Former Queensland Origin centre Chris Walker started training with the Gold Coast Titans as coach John Cartwright all but gave up hope of defiant winger Steve Turner joining the NRL club.

On the recommendation of Titans trainer and conditioner Billy Johnstone, Walker will trial for a contract during pre-season matches in February against his old club Melbourne and Parramatta.

If he can regain the form that led to him playing six Origin games in 2001-02, Walker would be the ideal replacement for Turner if he fails to honour his three-year agreement with the Titans and stays in Melbourne.

Cartwright said he wanted desperate players like Walker in his squad and pointed out this was likely his final chance to play NRL football following stints at Brisbane, Souths, Sydney Roosters and the Storm.

"I'm open to the idea and like everyone he's on a clean slate," Cartwright told AAP.

"The fact is it doesn't look like Steve Turner is going to be here and we've got a few injuries to the backs.

"We're a bit thin in outside backs and we've got a fella who's 26-years-old and wants to prove himself.

"I don't really see it as a risk. The pressure is on Chris to aim up and perform.

"We've given the fella an opportunity to do that and he has to fit in with the rest of the guys.

"He's no different to anyone else. There's certain rules that have to be abided by and if they don't, they won't survive too long."

Walker, tarnished with an unwanted reputation as a rugby league bad boy, has been living with his parents on the Gold Coast since August.

There's a belief his life is more settled and he will thrive under the strict discipline of Johnstone, a close friend of the Walker family.

"He's desperate to prove himself and wants to stay in the game. At an NRL level, this is probably his last chance," said Cartwright.

Walker, who is training with the Titans' part-time squad, played just six NRL matches this year before the Storm released him.

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said if Walker proved he was capable of playing NRL football, he would likely be offered a one-year deal.

"We're more than happy to offer him a lifeline," Searle said.

"We'd love nothing better than to see him back playing first grade because in peak form he's exceptional.

"It depends on how hard he wants to work."

Meanwhile, Turner is being slugged almost $1,000 for every Titans training session he misses - a total of three over the past two days.

"There's been reports of ongoing dialogue between us and Melbourne but I haven't spoken to anyone from Melbourne for a while," said Searle.

"We've always said we'd be prepared to release him if they can come up with a player of similar ilk."

Turner agreed to join the Titans until the end of 2009 in June only to later change his mind and re-sign with the Storm for another three years.

Source: AAP

i think he'll be good for the Titans, he's been through a lot so will be able to help the younger guys along, and i think he knows this is prob his last shot at NRL

Default Shav

Just one more reason im staying a Broncos supporter!!!!!!!!!!

92 - 93 - 97 - 98 - 2000 - 2006

This is a good signing, Walker is a top player. I am sorry that Canberra didn't sign him. I hope he plays well for the Titans and that he can regain his origin form of a few years back.

What about Shane and Ben Walker?

yeh! They be gud player too...
    [

Maybe Ben for a back-up, but def. not Shane, he is useless.

Ill+Matic

Well going to use hodges as a example for this point- one of the many NRL rat bags who was coming and going to different clubs and would'nt settle.

Decides to come to brisbane to play with the broncos again (last chance as well) and look what great performance he has shown this season.

Maybe walker may show the same thing next season.

Also what will he brothers do now. Maybe QLD cup teams.
    Last edited by titansroostersfan; 29-11-06 at 12:19 PM. Reason: does'nt make sense

Quote Originally Posted by ILLplusMATIC
    Maybe Ben for a back-up, but def. not Shane, he is useless.
    .....wouldnt be useless at the Roosters...........
    [

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

grab this chance with both hands, chris!

he went from champion, to nowhere.. hopefully him and the titans will get things on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    .....wouldnt be useless at the Roosters...........

ha ha

I think a while ago there was a rumor going around that ben walker and shane were training with us. Would'nt mind ben he is a good goal kicker just the injury prone.

I'm happy about the signing. Chris was always my favourite player when he was at the Broncos and younger.

I hope he reaches his potential with us and matures as a player, a lot like Justin Hodges did.

It is also fantastic to have another Queenslander and former Origin player in our ranks.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER