Default Turner dispute may benefit Walker

Turner dispute may benefit Walker
    By Steve Ricketts
    November 28, 2006

FORMER Queensland State of Origin wing Chris Walker could be thrown a lifeline by Gold Coast Titans.

Walker and older brothers Shane and Ben are still looking for clubs for the 2007 NRL season, and all three are living on the Gold Coast.

Chris was released by Melbourne after playing just six NRL matches this year while Ben and Shane were cut by South Sydney after playing 12 and 13 matches respectively.

The Titans' dispute with disgruntled Storm wing Steve Turner could work in Chris Walker's favour.

The club already has held talks with Walker, who played six Origin matches in 2001 and 2002.

If Turner refuses to honour his deal with the Titans, and sits out next season, Walker, 26, shapes as the ideal replacement - although the possible signing of Walker has not softened the Titans' stand on Turner.

Ben Walker said yesterday that all three brothers had plenty of football left in them.

"I think we've got about 450 NRL games between us and I'm the oldest at 30," Ben said.

"Chris has had some talks with the Titans but Shane and I haven't had any contact with NRL clubs since Souths let us go."

Source: Courier Mail

Honestly we all know how good Chris Walker can be but in recent seasons he hasnt been crash hot. Gifted Footballer but it seems like too big a risk for my liking.

Is he the Ideal Replacement for Turner i really dont think so. He hhas had quite a few off the field dramas.

In saying that if he does sign i sure hope he can make me eat my own words.

So much for picking the man before the footballer!

This guy has consistently acted like a goose and has had more clubs than Greg Norman. Besides, he cant tackle!!

I'd definately prefer Turner over Chris Walker.

:win: MANLY SEA EAGLES - PRIDE OF THE PENINSULA :win:

Quote Originally Posted by maroon man
    So much for picking the man before the footballer!

This guy has consistently acted like a goose and has had more clubs than Greg Norman. Besides, he cant tackle!!
    All reports was that Chris Walker turned his career around on and off the field whilst at Melbourne. Signing the "man before the footballer" is something the club will not stear away from - Chris Walker made mistakes in the past, he learnt from them and I don't recall a bad word being said about the guy in Melbourne (maybe a Stormer can confirm that?).

Walker has one thing no one can coach - speed. He is worth the gamble given the Chris Walker I remember on the end of the Brisbane backline was one the most lethal finishers in the game.

Walker has a flaws in his game that can be coached. His tackling could be improved by two of the best defenders of their generation in Sattler and Gillmeister and Billy Johnstone will beat any lair attitude out of him at training.

I would like to hear more about this developement.

QLD Cup Titan

Saw Walker play a few games this year.He seemed to get his defence in order & I thought he played quite well but just couldn't break into the side permanently.Worth a shot & still only 26.

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    Honestly we all know how good Chris Walker can be but in recent seasons he hasnt been crash hot. Gifted Footballer but it seems like too big a risk for my liking.

Is he the Ideal Replacement for Turner i really dont think so. He hhas had quite a few off the field dramas.

In saying that if he does sign i sure hope he can make me eat my own words.
    It may be a risk but he Chris Walker would not treat us with the disrespect Steve Turner has shown us so i say sign him to an incentive based contract.cya.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    All reports was that Chris Walker turned his career around on and off the field whilst at Melbourne. Signing the "man before the footballer" is something the club will not stear away from - Chris Walker made mistakes in the past, he learnt from them and I don't recall a bad word being said about the guy in Melbourne (maybe a Stormer can confirm that?).

Walker has one thing no one can coach - speed. He is worth the gamble given the Chris Walker I remember on the end of the Brisbane backline was one the most lethal finishers in the game.

Walker has a flaws in his game that can be coached. His tackling could be improved by two of the best defenders of their generation in Sattler and Gillmeister and Billy Johnstone will beat any lair attitude out of him at training.

I would like to hear more about this developement.
    Some good points.

And one would think if he was thrown a lifeline by us he'd do everything he could to return the favour.. i doubt he'd let off-field stuff threaten his game again after being left clubless like this. Although that's up for the titans to judge.

Even a one year trial contract could be an option. If he doesn't perform, we're no worse off. Especially with Rogers coming in 2008.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

and we'd still have a bit of money under the cap.. when you consider we had 100k to offer lomu, plus whatever was freed up by releasing frank.

Why can't the titans do a package deal for the walker brothers. Get them cheap or on match payments.

See what happens during the season

I am not doubting the abilities of Walker ( except when it comes to defence) but to say he has turned his career on and off the field, Deegan, is a bit of a stretch. He was thrown out of a hotel last year after a break-up with his girlfriend, Kate Ritchie, he has been thrown out of the State of Origin camp, he was thrown out of a junior representative side in his earlier days and he has been in the headlines numerous other times times for unacceptable behaviour ( much of it appeared to be associated with the grog). It cannot be denied that the picture painted by Michael Searle, Scott Sattler and John Cartwright since the winning of the bid to enter a team has been that people who have a poor record of behaviour will not be welcome at the Titans. They often talked of the need to put the personal attributes before the ability of the player. This guy, Walker, is a habitual offender and over many years and for the Titans to now consider signing him is an act of desperation or, at the very least, it makes a lie of their previous commitment to me as a member.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by maroon man
    I am not doubting the abilities of Walker ( except when it comes to defence) but to say he has turned his career on and off the field, Deegan, is a bit of a stretch. He was thrown out of a hotel last year after a break-up with his girlfriend, Kate Ritchie, he has been thrown out of the State of Origin camp, he was thrown out of a junior representative side in his earlier days and he has been in the headlines numerous other times times for unacceptable behaviour ( much of it appeared to be associated with the grog). It cannot be denied that the picture painted by Michael Searle, Scott Sattler and John Cartwright since the winning of the bid to enter a team has been that people who have a poor record of behaviour will not be welcome at the Titans. They often talked of the need to put the personal attributes before the ability of the player. This guy, Walker, is a habitual offender and over many years and for the Titans to now consider signing him is an act of desperation or, at the very least, it makes a lie of their previous commitment to me as a member.
    Totally agree the money we would be giving him would be much better spent on a young player even if it isn't turner. No clubs are even interested in Walker and we had the chance to get Mogg would have been a much better option.

Titan First Grade Regular

He's a star.

He might turn his career around in spectacular fashion

Like Hodges
    [