Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Gower keen on code switch

Gower keen on code switch

December 10, 2006
    CRAIG Gower has come back from a 10-day training stint with a French rugby club confident he has a future in the 15-man code.

The former Penrith captain has flagged a potential switch to the rival code as Australia star Matt Rogers prepares to walk out on his $500,000 ARU contract to join the Gold Coast Titans.

Gower admitted he was a step closer to finishing his career in rugby.

"I went over to have a look at a union club. The opportunity was there so I had to go and explore it," Gower said.

"I had a good time, I spent 10 days there. I attended some training sessions and I quietly enjoyed it."

The ARU has all but given up on keeping Rogers, while Lote Tuqiri is also flirting with a return to the NRL.

Gower said his interest in joining rugby was more than just a whim. He trained with a Heineken Cup club at halfback and five-eighth during his brief stint.

"I didn't like nine too much," Gower said.

"At 10, you've got the ball in your hands and you get to play a bit of footy, which is good. Hopefully this will open some doors for me ... you can't play rugby league forever."

Gower's taste of rugby union comes only months after a seven-match stint with Italian rugby club Treviso was blocked by the Australian Rugby League. It's understood Gower still harbours a desire to represent Italy at next year's World Cup.

"I've got an Italian passport which is good because then you don't come as an import," Gower said.

"I tried to do it last year and the league wouldn't let me so I don't know what sort avenues I have to go down to to get it past ... I might have to do it earlier, I'm not too sure."

Source: foxsports.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Junior Titan

Gower is Penrith's best player, he needs to be there in 07 and he needs to eb the captain. Although the side did reasonably when he didn't play last year they had preston who lifted. Without Gower Penrth will definatly struggle.
    Smooth as silk