Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Titan First Grade Regular

its a big loss for the Gold Coast with Turner edging further away, and Friend in the hospital...
    [

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Best of luck to Frank for the rest of his rugby league career. He misses out on being apart of something special up here though family comes first.

All the best.

agre 100%, eace: but lets hope Frank will be part of something special in Penrith, another GF win would be nice

Puletua would've retired, says coach
    Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:30 PM

New Zealand Test forward Frank Puletua would have retired from the NRL if Gold Coast had not granted him a release on compassionate grounds, says Titans coach John Cartwright.

On the same day renegade winger Steve Turner failed to turn up to Titans training, Puletua, 27, was allowed to stay in Penrith rather than honour his two-year contract with Gold Coast.

"I didn't want to let him go but given his circumstances I had no other choice," said Cartwright on Monday.

"It was on compassionate grounds and things I don't want to go into.

"Frank confided in me and it's a personal thing that he spoke to me about.

"I've been aware of it for a while. It got to the stage where Frank was going to retire. Circumstances prevailed that he couldn't come (to the Gold Coast)."

Penrith chief executive Mick Leary said he would move immediately to re-negotiate a contract with Puletua.

Titans managing director Michael Searle, who was unavailable for comment, had threatened to fine Turner if he was a no-show at training on Monday.

"He still doesn't want to go (to the Titans)," said Turner's manager David Riolo.

"The Turner situation is more about a clash between two CEOs rather than the actual player, who's a pawn in the middle of their battle now."

Riolo said Puletua was released because he was easily replaceable compared to Turner, who started his first grade career as a fullback before scoring 18 tries for the Storm this year as a winger.

"It's about the Gold Coast roster and in some ways I can understand that," said Riolo.

"I feel sorry for their situation. They've agreed terms with a good, young player and he's changed his mind.

"You could do that a thousand times and nothing happens but this time it's exploded in their face and it's not their fault."

Cartwright rejected any similarities between the cases of Puletua and Turner, who agreed to join the Titans for three years in June only to backflip two months later and re-sign with the Storm until the end of 2009.

"They can compare all they like but those people don't know the facts," Cartwright retorted.

"I've known about Frank for quite a long time and we were able to make plans in case it got to the stage where we did have to release him.

"We've got to that stage now and we've covered ourselves."

Cartwright said he had "washed his hands" of the long-running Turner saga, claiming it was an administration issue.

After speaking to Turner on Monday morning, Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said the 22-year-old was "very stressed".

"Steve's just having a few days to try and recharge his batteries after a stressful end to last week," Waldron said.

Searle and Waldron will come face to face at a two-day CEO's conference in Sydney starting on Wednesday.

Source: AAP

Well another one leaves. What players are left on the market or young guys we could bring to the club to fill these positions.

Quote Originally Posted by titansroostersfan
    Well another one leaves. What players are left on the market or young guys we could bring to the club to fill these positions.
    From the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright has defended the Titans' decision to release Frank Puletua on "compassionate grounds" despite refusing to budge on the controversial Steve Turner contract fiasco.

Denying the move may set a dangerous double standards precedent, Cartwright said the Titans were fully aware of Puletua's case of cold feet midway through the year. Puletua has "extenuating family circumstances'' surrounding his decision and will now remain playing in the NRL with Penrith

The article ends with, "The Titans signed Canberra forward Kris Kahler to compensate for Puletua's anticipated departure."

I am not sure what the issue is at home for Puletua though it must be something close to the heart of the big fella who it is said would have retired if he was not able to get a release which Carty said he "would have did the same thing" ...

Thumbs up

Congratulations to the Titans for showing the level of compassion they have with Frank. And I sincerely believe their treatment of Frank proves that they are not being stubborn b%#*@*s for the sake of it. They are showing that each case will be treated on its merits and in Turner's case, there is no compelling reasons to have the Titans reverse their decision.

Good luck and good health, Frank.

Just curious I just watched FOXsports news and Matt Elliot called it a trade of players (Frank Puletua for Kris Kahler). Just curious was that a direct trade ... everything written about the incident refers to it as completely seperate.

I don't think it was a 'direct' trade, rather they signed Kahler after having fears that Puletua would not honour his contract.

Ill+Matic

Family comes first for Puletua
    By Peter Badel
    December 03, 2006

FRANK Puletua has broken his silence to reveal how a dual family setback was the catalyst for his decision to quit the Gold Coast and return to Penrith.

The veteran forward became inadvertently embroiled in the Steve Turner contract fiasco when he was released by the Titans last Monday on compassionate grounds - sparking claims the NRL's 16th team was guilty of double standards.

The Titans have since remained tight-lipped on the precise reasons behind Puletua's departure. But Puletua, 28, has opened up about the recent heartbreak that has beset his family and prompted him to return to Sydney.

A fortnight ago, Puletua's grandmother Lua passed away after battling cancer, while father Mu, in his 60s, has suffered lately after a lengthy struggle with diabetes.

Puletua, who signed a two-year deal with the Titans in August, told of the emotional torment of losing his grandmother, then getting married, in the space of just five days.

"It's been a very trying time for myself and the family," he said. "Footy's been the last thing on my mind.

"I'm disappointed I had to seek a release but because of the circumstances I had to prioritise my life and the fact is my family has to come first.

"A lot has gone on. In the same week I got married my grandmother passed away. We were very close."

Puletua said that without the Titans' support he would have retired.

"They've been great," he said. "John (Cartwright, coach), had complete understanding for the difficult position I was in."

Source: Sunday Telegraph

Titan Club Captain

Poor family

I <3 Franky and Tony and hope they're all holding up ok.

Titan First Grade Regular

Thats sad....

Wish them all the best.
    [