Default Titan fury at Friend injury

Titan fury at Friend injury
    Greg Davis
    November 25, 2006 11:00pm

THE bitter feud between the Gold Coast and Melbourne has plummeted to new depths with the Titans seething over a serious shoulder injury to hooker Nathan Friend.

The clubs are already involved in a nasty tug-of-war over the services of winger Steve Turner, who wants to renege on his agreement with the Titans to stay with the 2006 grand finalists.

Adding intrigue to the stand-off is the news that the Titans will this week grant a release to forward Frank Puletua on compassionate grounds, so the Kiwi front-rower can stay in Penrith.

The Sunday Mail understands Friend battled through the finals series with an on-going shoulder complaint but was not booked in for surgery immediately after the grand final when the rake was still on the Storm's books.

However, when scans were shown to Titans medical staff in November, he was rushed into surgery to have a full shoulder reconstruction that will force him out of action for the next three to four months.

But Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron said last night the Storm had done nothing wrong, and had been assured by his Titans counterpart Michael Searle that there was no bad blood between the clubs over Friend.

"Shoulders can be difficult things," Waldron said. "Sometimes you have to get in there and have a look around to assess the extent of the damage and fix things properly. I've spoken to Michael Searle and he understands our thoughts on this issue."

Titans CEO Searle refused to make any comment on the Friend issue but said the clubs remained at loggerheads over Turner.

"We expect him to report to training on Monday," Searle said.

"But we know we are at very, very long odds to actually see him."

Searle confirmed the Titans are almost certain to grant a release to Puletua this week.

The Penrith front-rower asked the Gold Coast for a release towards the end of the NRL season, but, like Turner's request, he was knocked back by the Titans.

However, his family situation has changed significantly since then and he re-approached the Titans about returning to Penrith.

"In all likelihood we will be granting Frank a release on compassionate grounds," Searle said. "Frank has genuine family issues with bona fide extenuating circumstances.

"I'll sit down with (Titans coach) John Cartwright in the next few days and we'll make a call on it.

"But at this stage, given Frank's family situation, it looks like we will give him a release."

Waldron said Puletua's impending release from the Titans had no bearing on the wrangle over Turner's services.

"Each situation should be handled on its own individual merits and the situation with Frank Puletua has nothing to do with us," Waldron said.
    Source: sunday mail

Horrible, horrible news regarding the like length of time we will be without Nathan Friend though it does provide an opportunity for Clint Amos to stake a claim for the number nine jersey.

Now I am even more annoyed at Melbourne... then again if they don't have a player for next season, makes sense not spending the money to fix his injuries....

Poor Nathan, hope he can get back soon and here's hoping he and Clint can have a good battle for that Number 9 jersey next season, as competition makes players perform IMO.

I feel bad for Friend, he was one of the most improved players in 2006, and he will most probably miss the start of 2007 with this injury.

Shame to hear about Puletua too, I thought he would have liked to play away from his brother and make a name for himself...

:win: MANLY SEA EAGLES - PRIDE OF THE PENINSULA :win:

Puletua may not actually re-sign with the Panthers, just stay in Sydney. Have the Panthers left room in the cap?
    I think the main thing with Frank is staying close to his family, not necessarily playing at the same club as his brother. He's already had a stint at Souths.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Puletua may not actually re-sign with the Panthers, just stay in Sydney. Have the Panthers left room in the cap?
    I think the main thing with Frank is staying close to his family, not necessarily playing at the same club as his brother. He's already had a stint at Souths.

the Panthers would have enough to re=sign Frank

Bad news for Friend. He might also have to fight very hard to get the Hooker position, Because Amos could do very well and does have the potential to become a good player.

On Puletua, not dissapointed we have other players who could get the job better than him.

Poor Nathan. should have asked my friend how he is doing... saw her today. Oh well. Hope he does recover well and is able to play as much of 2007 as possible

Looks like we have found our arch rival, the Melbourne Storm.

Get well Nathan. You are one of my favourite Titans, can't wait to see you in the #9!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan One Clubman

Storm vs Titans shall be a very interesting match next year, might have to put $5 on there being over 2.5 sin binnings.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Looks like we have found our arch rival, the Melbourne Storm.
    And i support both them and the titans... haha

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Friend must be feeling a bit down about this... after being stuck behind Smith, he gets a chance with us to cement the starting hooker row only to be sidelined. Tough break.

Although it gives a good chance to Amos or perhaps Hilder to have their fair crack at the role.