Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Junior Titan

the gold coast swell
    wearing dark blue jade and white
    i'm a giant charging waves while the seagulls fly by

Claxton aims high in first NBL season
    Pat McLeod

23Nov06

NATIONAL Basketball League new boys, the Gold Coast, have targeted a finals appearance in their opening season.

"I believe that is totally realistic," said consortium head Dave Claxton yesterday.

"When you step out on to the floor, you do it to win and I am confident that we can put together a roster that is finals potential."

The day after his team was publicly ushered into the NBL for the 2007-08 season Claxton was busy working through the mountain of tasks that must be undertaken before tip-off in 10 months.

But the NBL veteran said finding quality players in that time would not be a problem.

"This is different from rugby league," said Claxton.

"There is a 14-day moratorium at the end of the season and that's when clubs get the opportunity to talk to players and do deals.

"I have a list of players that I am interested in and we have more than enough time.

"I have been involved in player recruitment for a long time and there is always an element of luck involved.

"But you do not want to finalise things too early and then a better option might become available."

Teams in the NBL work on a player points system.

Each player is given a grading with an import or a Boomer given the maximum 10 points.

Each team's 10-player roster cannot be above 68 points.

Claxton said he may decide on the club's two imports as early as March or as late as June next year.

Claxton also said he had already been contacted by people interested in the coaching role.

But he was in no hurry to make a call yet and would not speculate on who was favoured for the position.

Claxton is currently looking for a 'front office' in the Broadbeach area close to the convention centre, which will be the home games venue.

He is also negotiating with The Southport School to be the initial training base for the new club.

Claxton said he had yet to decide on a naming process for the team or what colours they would carry.

"Whatever we decide on it must be synonymous with the Gold Coast," he said.

Source: GC Bulletin

Junior Titan

cheers for that grimace i hardly get any news from up on the coast
    you gonna follow them ???

Hey Bondititan :hi: . The best way to get GoldCoast news is to log onto
    gcbulletin.com.au
    it's their local paper and it covers everything Gold Coast.

I visit the site daily for my news because i live in Perth. You'll find that a lot of the news on these forums comes from there.

have fun!!!

Junior Titan

cheers west titan

Might be something for Titans fans to do in the off season.

Might sneak across and watch some basketball.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER