Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Breaking news: Thorpe retires from all swimming!

Breaking news: Thorpe retires from all swimming!

Post links here.

We'll miss him thats for sure..
    BUT what a CHAMPION! We owe him so much gratitude. He was the SUPER FISH!
    Well Done Thorpie! May All Your dreams Become Reality!
    THANKYOU! what a man! :beer:

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

^^heres that series coming of thorpies angels.

ts a sad day for australian swimming - all the best for ian in what ever he decides to do

there are a lot of people questioning his sexuality but it erks me the most when they don't think what impact he has had on the sport

Quote Originally Posted by HodgoBerro
    ^^heres that series coming of thorpies angels.

ts a sad day for australian swimming - all the best for ian in what ever he decides to do

there are a lot of people questioning his sexuality but it erks me the most when they don't think what impact he has had on the sport
    I agree Hodgo..Who cares what his sexuality is! nobody cared when we ALL stood up screaming when he took out GOLD MEDAL...AFTER GOLD MEDAL!
    He's a Champion and ALWAYS will be!
    He isn't the only gay sportsman, that's for sure!
    Plus its his biz no-one elses! :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Thorpe quits the pool deck
    By Andy Withers
    FOXSPORTS.com.au
    November 21, 2006 IAN Thorpe has announced his retirement from swimming, citing a lack of balance in his life as the reason for his decision.

Thorpe walks away from the sport as Australia's most successful Olympian, with five gold medals, three silver and one bronze from the 2000 and 2004 Games in Sydney and Athens.

"I have reached all the dizzying heights of this sport," Thorpe said.

"I've also had setbacks.

"I've been sick, I've had injuries."

Thorpe said he started to reconsider his future during his recent training sojourn with Milton Nelms in Los Angeles.

He said during that sojourn he had achieved the highest level of physical fitness he had ever experienced.

But he said he had also become "mentally fit".

"My mind also got fit," Thorpe said.

"I started asking questions."

In asking those questions, Thorpe said he had come to the conclusion that swimming was no longer the priority in his life - which had never before been the case - and thus he was comfortable with his subsequent decision to quit.

Thorpe said he had decided initially to miss the national titles in Brisbane next month, and hence the world championships in Melbourne next year, for which the Queensland meet will double as selection trials, but he changed his mind at 2.53pm on Sunday afternoon.

Thorpe said he did not know exactly why he had decided at that time to quit.

But he said a person he had known for three weeks, and whom he refused to identify had been a great help in offering counsel.

"I wasn't working towards walking away from sport," Thorpe said.

"I was working towards (taking a break).

"But I couldn't defend that mindset."

Thorpe, 24, said he was "far too young" to be retiring, but he was excited about the future - whatever that held for him.

"It's not the right time to be retiring, but it's my time," Thorpe said.

Thorpe also ruled out the prospect of a future comeback.

"I don't rule it out completely, I never rule anything out, but it's not going to happen," Thorpe said when asked if he would return to the pool deck at some time in the future."

i know a few people who are gay and are in a hetero male dominated sport.

Poor guy! hope he's feeling better and better everyday!
    I'll miss him though!
    he did it for his Country..and all that training, when we're all tucked in bed nice and warm, he was doing the Hard Yards...And it paid off! :win:
    Once again ...THANKYOU THORPIE! You are Simply The Best!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Quote Originally Posted by HodgoBerro
    i know a few people who are gay and are in a hetero male dominated sport.
    Of Course! No Big deal! The people who have the problem with them, are the ones who need to give themselves a Reality Check!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Titan First Grade Regular

Thorpedoe had reached a crossroads in life and he put himself first, he needs to sort himself out both physically and mentally, he is not in the right shape to dedicate himself to another grueling campaign of the World titles and then onto another Olympics, in the end Thorpedoe made the right choice, and i can't stand it when his sexuallity is brought up, all i know he is going to make someone a wonderful partner. So i say thank you for all the wonderful memories and i hope you achieve all you want in life. Thorpedoe for Australian of the Year.cya. :naughty: :win:

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCliffy#01
    Thorpedoe had reached a crossroads in life and he put himself first, he needs to sort himself out both physically and mentally, he is not in the right shape to dedicate himself to another grueling campaign of the World titles and then onto another Olympics, in the end Thorpedoe made the right choice, and i can't stand it when his sexuallity is brought up, all i know he is going to make someone a wonderful partner. So i say thank you for all the wonderful memories and i hope you achieve all you want in life. Thorpedoe for Australian of the Year.cya. :naughty: :win:
    Well said Cliffy!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jenny
    Well said Cliffy!
    Thank you, i just want everyone to get off his back.cya.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCliffy#01
    Thank you, i just want everyone to get off his back.cya.
    Just the Knockers Cliffy! i think most people support him TOTALLY!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Thumbs up

PM pays tribute to 'good bloke' Thorpe

November 21, 2006 12:00
    Article from: AAP

:win: :win: :win:
    PRIME Minister John Howard has wished Ian Thorpe well for his life after swimming, describing the Olympian as a remarkable athlete and a good bloke.

The 24-year-old five-time Olympic gold medallist and multiple world record holder has told a press conference in Sydney today he was retiring from competitive swimming.

"His retirement is an enormous loss to Australian swimming but it's tough, he started early, all swimmers do," the Prime Minister said ahead of his departure from Vietnam this morning.

"Millions of Australians will remember his wonderful individual performances.

"I remember a wonderful performance of his in the relay at the 2000 Olympic Games, but like so many other Australians there have been so many great performances that they do all tend to merge into a recollection of a remarkable athlete, a great swimmer (and) a good bloke.

"I wish him every success and happiness in the years ahead."

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

BOOOOOOO!
    You big fat wuss!!
    You're only 24!
    BOOOOOOO!

but seriously its a bad day for aussie swimming
    now we've only got 1 guy who can swim!
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

Thumbs up

Dawn sends her thanks to Ian

November 21, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

DAWN Fraser has added her comments to tributes flooding in for Ian Thorpe after he confirmed he is quitting the pool.

Fraser, a three-time winner of Olympic gold in the 100m freestyle, said she understood Thorpe's decision to move on in his life.

"I did expect him to say that he wasn't going to swim in the world championships, but it comes as no surprise to me that he is going to retire from swimming,'' Fraser said.

"He has had a long time in the sport and I think he's done as much as he possibly could hope to achieve.''

Fraser said an athlete of Thorpe's calibre would be under enormous pressure from the media and sponsors.

"Ian Thorpe is the type of guy who would have wanted to commit to all those commitments, and I guess he felt the pressure,'' she said.

It was disappointing that Thorpe would not be attempting a third Olympic Games, Fraser added.

"I was hoping he may have gone on to Beijing to do the three events in a row and I guess in a way I'm sad,'' she said.

"But that's selfish of me because he's made that decision for himself, he doesn't wan to put himself under any more pressure, and I say 'thankyou very much for what you've done'.''

World-famous Thorpe, 24, made the anouncement amid mounting concern and rumours about his future.

The five-time Olympic gold medallist and multiple world record holder has been battling health problems and fighting to regain his form over recent months.

But at a much-anticipated press conference today Thorpe - looking relaxed and happy - admitted that he had been questioning his commitment to swimming and was going to "discontinue my professional swimming career."

"I'd been working towards this decision for quite some time," he said. "I'm a 24-year-old, and I'm only just 24 as well.

"I'm young enough to still see the new challenges and be able to accept them within my life.

"I'm also old enough now that I realise all of these accomplishments that have got me to this place in my life."

Tributes came from fellow swimmers and sports officials, and also from Premier Morris Iemma - who responed to Thorpe's change careers by offering him a spot as an ALP candidate for the 2007 state election.

"It'd be great to have him if we was available for us,'' Mr Iemma joked.

It was sad Thorpe would not be participating at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Mr Iemma said.

"He's probably the greatest swimmer of all time and it's very sad that he's not going to Beijing to add more gold medals and world records to his record,'' he said.

"It's a very sad day for Australian sport.''

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY