Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Aussies play down Tri Nations biff talk

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:31 PM

Rival coaches Ricky Stuart and Brian McClennan did their best to play down talk that Saturday night's Tri-Nations final would deteriorate into a cheap shot free-for-all.

Looking to put a lid on the simmering tensions between the two forward packs, Stuart and McClennan said the team which put emotion to one side and just concentrated on playing football would walk away with the trophy.

"We want to have controlled emotions in the game, I think both teams are very determined to be disciplined," McClennan said as the captains and coaches from both sides gathered at Aussie Stadium.

"It's the team that's the most disciplined that will have a better chance of winning the game.

"We certainly will be keeping our emotions in check."

Speculation has been mounting throughout the tournament that Australian prop Willie Mason would go in search of revenge on David Kidwell after the Kiwi backrower knocked him senseless with a thundering shoulder charge in the series opener.

The two haven't crossed paths since the incident with Mason doing little to quell the anticipated fireworks earlier this week when he said he wouldn't be changing his aggressive approach, the same approach which saw him banned for one match for flooring Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden.

But Stuart said all his players, including Mason, would be instructed to keep their emotions in check.

"I've chatted to all the players - not just Willie - in reference to controlling our aggression," Stuart said.

"I don't condone it (foul play) and we don't want it in the game and it's not something that you actually go out and plan to do, it's just something that erupts."

"It shows how much is at stake, there's a lot of passion. There's a lot of pride in the result and sometimes emotions do overflow."

While echoing Stuart's sentiments, Kangaroos skipper Darren Lockyer said it was important the Australians didn't go too far the other way and go into their shell.

"You just want to be aggressive with your running, your defence - there's nothing illegal about that," Lockyer said.

"We all have aggression, there's no doubting that, but discipline is the key.

"We can't go out there and expect to give away cheap penalties, it puts you on the back foot and you're playing a final, you don't want to be giving away penalties for stupid reasons."

Lockyer warned the Kangaroos would have to improve on their 33-10 win over Great Britain to overcome a New Zealand side which has got better with each outing.

The manner in which the Kiwis disposed of the Lions in Wellington two weeks ago was reminiscent of the sort of form they displayed in running away with last year's Tri-Nations title, playmaker Stacey Jones rampant behind a dominant pack.

Lockyer admitted the Australians were lucky to get away with a win the last time the two sides met, tries to Greg Inglis and Mark Gasnier in the final five minutes at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne robbing the Kiwis of a deserved victory.

"We got out of jail, it was a small wake-up call but not a big enough one because the following week we played Great Britain and lost," Lockyer said.

"Last week was better but not a complete performance."

Both sides will continue their preparations with training sessions on Thursday, the Australian camp taking time out of their schedule to take in the first ball of the Ashes cricket series.
    Source: AAP

Willie's a wuss, legend says
    By Mick Daly
    November 23, 2006 FORMER Great Britain skipper Tommy Bishop has ridiculed Willie Mason's enforcer status, accusing the Australia hardman of running scared and playing like a "wuss".

Bishop, one of league's toughest ever competitors, claimed Mason had "catted it" after knocking out Lions big man Stuart Fielden in Sydney three weeks ago.

Mason returns from suspension against New Zealand in Saturday night's Tri Nations final, and Bishop has challenged the Bulldogs giant to prove his mettle.

Bishop said Mason should have ripped into the Britain forwards after he decked Fielden but instead sat on his heels.

"He should have run with gusto and really put it into them," Bishop said.

"Then he could say, 'Yeah, I'm a tough guy'. But he didn't do that. He was a little bit wary of things. He never took the ball up for six times after that.

"I'd like to see him play against guys from 30 years ago and see how he went with them.

"But it's a different era now. He wouldn't have lasted two minutes."

Bishop said if Mason tried to intimidate the Kiwis, they should whack him even harder.

"The sort of punch he gave Fielden was like a baby slap," he said.

Former Australia Test prop Greg Dowling returned serve at Bishop, saying last night that he would happily "go to war" with Mason by his side.

Dowling said Mason was as courageous and strong as any forward of the past 20 years.

"Tommy's comments are crazy. Willie's record speaks for itself," Dowling said.

"You don't play Test and Origin football or win premierships if you don't have heart.

"I would have Willie Mason in my side any day of the week. He is a modern day warrior with plenty of guts."

Former Balmain and Kangaroos hardman Steve Roach also stood up for Mason.

"He's knocked the so-called best front rower in the game out in one hit," Roach said.

Source: Courier Mail

Tommy Bishop Pfft!
    That was then. :ok: ...This is now. :beer: ..Willie will have a good game!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titan First Grade Regular

You said it Tommy!!!
    I wanna see Kidwell snap the hell outta Mason this saturday, a full on brawl!
    Both sent to the sinbin and keep on fighting like that time when that NZ and Aus guy kept on fighting!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    You said it Tommy!!!
    I wanna see Kidwell snap the hell outta Mason this saturday, a full on brawl!
    Both sent to the sinbin and keep on fighting like that time when that NZ and Aus guy kept on fighting!
    Willie wouldl have him....having said that! i just want to see a good game..Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! that we win!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Interesting to note, Mason has not responded to any of this all week he is keeping his mouth shut I dunno why but i see this as a major sign of trouble for the Kiwis and his doubters.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    Interesting to note, Mason has not responded to any of this all week he is keeping his mouth shut I dunno why but i see this as a major sign of trouble for the Kiwis and his doubters.
    He's saving it , for the game!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Quote Originally Posted by jenny
    He's saving it , for the game!
    I reckon you would be right there it does seem un willie like though. IF i was the kiwis id be worried right about now that he hasnt responded to anything all week.

Titan First Grade Regular

They call him Big Willie, not because of the fact that hes a giant, but because he has a big mouth.

At least for once hes saving it all for the game - hopefully.
    [

Titan Club Captain

I'm not worried..he would have just been told to shut the hell up and don't say anything...

*sigh* Stace looks to be retiring after this game *cries* .. he said he didnt wanna..him and ruben said it would be hard to walk away from the brothership within the camp..but hes getting old.

Vagana Expects Fireworks, Wants Blackout

Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 9:59 AM

Early fireworks could be expected in Saturday night?s final according to Kiwi stalwart Nigel Vagana, and with the prospect of a less than full crowd and with plenty of tickets still available he has joined captain Ruben Wiki calling on New Zealand fans to make it a blackout at Aussie Stadium.

?We would love to get as much support as we can for the game on Saturday night, for us, New Zealand football and Rugby League as a whole. Big crowds make games better for everyone?.

?We will take all the support we can get. It would be great to get all the Kiwi fans at the league and blackout Aussie Stadium for the night. That kind of support helps and it would be great for the game?.

When asked if he felt if the majority of support from the crowd was a factor Vagana was positive about it.

?Yeah for sure. Any team that plays and has the majority of the support will respond to it more, and they win more often than not. To have it is great and we need as much support as we can get?.

The prospect of the Kiwi?s having the majority of the support should push Australian fans into action, it would be a sad day for sport in this country if a visiting team had more support than the Kangaroos and Australian captain Darren Lockyer has called on Sydney fans to turn out in droves and get behind our team like they are for the Ashes in Brisbane.

?Obviously Queenslanders love their rugby league and I think maybe the fact we won the origin and the Broncos won the Premiership may have helped the crowd in Brisbane.

But they saw a great spectacle and I don?t think I?ve played a test match anywhere in Australia with any better atmosphere than last week. And this ground here (Aussie Stadium) it generates a good atmosphere too when there?s a big crowd.

So just come along and support your country, the Ashes are on and you?re supporting an Australian team there come and support the Australian rugby league team as well.?

The final promises to be a cracker with both teams fielding strong sides and in great form after what has been one of the best test series in recent memory with plenty of spite, fire, skill and pugilism coming to the fore and Vagana admits that fireworks are likely.

?It?s fantastic to be playing at the top level of the game this week, and it?s a test match, and I haven?t been involved in too many of those that didn?t involve early fireworks?.

There will also be plenty of incentive for the Kiwis going into this game after not getting the respect they deserve for last year?s victory and just falling short last time out against the Kangaroos.

?I think even if we had won that game against the Aussies we would still be up for this game, and maybe it gives some of the guys extra motivation, though I thing playing in the final is enough. The Aussies are a really good team right across the board and you really have to be motivated to beat them?.

Vagana will be focusing on playing his own role at pivot; a position he is becoming more familiar with having played their a bit now in a season that was up and down to say the least.

?There were plenty of twists and turns this year, now I am looking forward to the final, which is always good to play in?.

And Vagana can play a natural running game with Stacey Jones running the show, and is happy to be helping the team.

?Yeah it works well (their combination), Stacey will run the show, and if he gets tackled I?ll step in for a couple of plays, but mostly play a support role. I?ll be happy to sit back and do that. I am happy playing that kind of a role?.

?At the end of the day where I play doesn?t matter as long as I am helping the team, whether that is in the centres or at five-eighth doesn?t matter. I have an understanding with Stacey now and if I play at five-eighth then that?s where I need to be?.

While Vagana was the boom young centre for the Kiwis a few seasons ago, there are plenty of younger players who have burst into the national squad, and Vagana likes the way the centres are shaping up for the future and the final.

?All the young guys have stepped up this series Steve Matai and even Shontayne Hape who has been here in the side for a couple of years and was a huge loss to the game here when he went to England are playing well.

Iosia Soliola has got a lot of potential and he really has lifted his game to the next level. He was supposed to come on tour last year but had to pull out through injury, this year though it is his turn to make his mark and he has really shown what a great player he is and will be?.

Source: NRL

Kangaroos, Kiwis eye Tri-Nations glory

Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:14 PM

Equally desperate for Tri-Nations glory, Australia and New Zealand head into Saturday night's final at Aussie Stadium with vastly different motivations.

Veteran prop Petero Civoniceva says the Kangaroos are bent on avenging last year's embarrassing 24-0 series final loss while the Kiwis say they have nothing to prove and they'll be driven by their "brother-like" bond.

Civoniceva said the hurt from last year's trouncing by the Kiwis in England had lingered long into this year.

"(Last off-season) was the longest off-season I've had mainly because of that disappointment and it's something that probably followed me throughout the season," said Civoniceva.

"But this is our chance on Saturday, we have one last 80 minutes to hopefully put all those bad memories to the side."

Civoniceva said the Kangaroos would throw everything into the match, knowing it was the last game of their extended and draining season.

Meanwhile, Kiwis hardman David Kidwell insisted New Zealand was not out to prove last year's series win wasn't a "fluke", even though Australia has won all three matches between the two teams since.

And he said there was no lack of internal motivation within the New Zealand camp.

"I don't think we've got anything to prove, but we have a group of guys that have been together for six weeks and I think we just want to do it for each other and all our families that have sacrificed a lot for us to come here," Kidwell said.

"Kiwi camps are always special and it's a known fact we are very close.

"We are brothers and it does show on the field with our passion and camaraderie.

"This year is no different to last year in that we're all close and we're all gunning for that one goal - to win."

Kidwell said the return of power forward Willie Mason for Saturday's game was a huge boost for Australia but played down another showdown in their first meeting since he hit the big man with a shuddering shoulder charge in the series opener in Auckland.

"I haven't really thought about it, you can't think about those things because you've got a role in your team and the team comes first," Kidwell said.

"I'm sure we're going to come together at some stage, but that's football and whatever happens, happens."

The game is shaping up as a highly physical encounter, despite coaches Ricky Stuart and Brian McClennan playing down any kind of "biff".

Kiwi's captain Ruben Wiki said his side would be more focused on completing their sets and minimising the sort of errors which cost it victory in the final minutes of their 20-15 loss to Australia at the Telstra Dome last month.

New Zealand has named the same side that thumped Great Britain 34-4 two weeks ago, while Brisbane's Brent Tate has retained his spot on the wing for the Kangaroos despite Matt King proving his fitness.

Tate believes Australia's backline can do some real damage if Australia's forwards can get on top early.

"The forward battle is probably going to determine this game," he said.

"Both forward packs are really going to rip in and if our forwards can set a platform for us early then the backs can wreak a bit of havoc."
    Source: AAP

Asotasi Will Put Friendship on Hold

Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:17 PM

New Zealand forward Roy Asotasi is preparing for a real battle in Saturday night?s Gillette Tri Nations final against Australia at Aussie Stadium and once he runs out on the field friendships made in his 5 seasons at the Bulldogs alongside Willie Mason, Mark O?Meley and Andrew Ryan will be all but forgotten.

Asotasi says he has a lot of time for the 3 Bulldogs in the Aussie pack and the sms banter has been flying between them this week and he?s looking forward to the challenge of playing them in the final.

?They?re good mates of mine so there?s been a bit of fun back and forth between us but come game time we?ll be enemies.?

Before the series started Willie Mason said he wanted to put a big shot on his mate in the Kiwi jumper and Asotasi believes he will still be trying in the final.

?We?ve been talking about that pretty much all year me and Willie about the way we play. I stepped him in the Anzac test and he thought he had me, but he didn?t so he?s still trying to go after me so I?ll be trying to use my footwork on him, he?s a pretty big bloke and he?ll probably knock me over if he gets a good shot on me.?

Mason and Kiwi back rower David Kidwell put some aggro into the series with their actions and comments from game one and Asotasi says it?s helped create more interest in the Tri Nations.

?Yeah it has, they?ve helped draw the crowds I think with all the talk and the hype about what happened in the first test but I guess it?s good for the game, part of league and I think it?s good for the crowd too.?

While Mason is prepared to say what he thinks Asotasi says they Kiwis are well aware he can back up his words through his performance.

?He is the rock for the Australians he does lead that forward pack and he?s pretty fierce Willie when he gets fired up, he?s dangerous.?

However the Dally M prop of the year has backed his Kiwi team mates to stand up and be counted.

?We?ve got good players in our forward pack, we come from all over the place and I guess it?s a good thing that we all know each other quite well now, we?re pretty tight and hopefully we can help each other out on the weekend.?

The aggression in the series has been a big hit with the fans producing some memorable hits and big plays and Asotasi says they will try and out muscle the Kangaroos.

?It?s good for rugby league we like to be an aggressive side and we like to intimidate opponents, hopefully that?s what comes across, but Australia will probably be going out there hoping to do the same thing and we?ll be out there to match them.?

The Kiwis are yet to beat Australia in this series but Asotasi says that means nothing leading into this final.

?It has been a funny Tri Nations series we were very unlucky in Melbourne but we had two good wins and were lucky to come back but we were always confident we were going to make the Grand Final and now we?re going to hopefully have a good game against the Aussies.?

The New Zealand side has improved with every game and even though they dispatched Great Britain 34-4 last start the big prop says they can step up another level in the final.

?Definitely we?ve got at least 15 to 20 percent improvement in us, that?s the good thing ahead of this game and we all know we?ve got those improvements in us.?

The Kiwis have been calling on all the ex pats living in New South Wales to come and support the defending champions and out number the Aussie supporters.

?Yeah hopefully we can get them all out from all over Sydney and hopefully we can have an eclipse at Aussie Stadium to make it a black day.?

Asotasi knows how important it is for the forwards to dominate the game because they can?t afford Australia?s playmakers to be given any room to weave their magic.

?Australia?s got some of the best halves going around in the game. Lockyer?s pretty dangerous and Thurston too, I had the chance to play with him in the lower grades at the Bulldogs and he?s pretty good, but as long as we try to find a way to stop them we?re confident of winning the series.?

The Kiwis arrived in Sydney 10 days out from the game to prepare and Asotasi says that has allowed them plenty of down time to be mentally and physically fresh.

?All the boys are pretty keen and looking forward to it so we have to prepare ourselves and get ready mentally for the game.?

Source: NRL

Junior Titan

Default Bring It On !!!!!!!!!!!

THIS GAME SHOULD BE THE BEST ALL YEAR,KIWIS TO TAKE IT OUT, JUST IT WILL BE CLOSE, HOPEFULLY NOT TO MUCH CRAP, THATS EASY ANY IDIOT CAN SMACK YOU, PLAY HARD, ALSO BELEIVE THE REF WILL HAVE A HARD TIME CONTROLING THE MATCH, KIWIS BY 4.0 !!!!!!!!!!!

Sack Sydney

By Steve Mascord

November 23, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

NEW Zealand have called for Sydney to be snubbed next year in response to the cool reception the harbour city has given Saturday night's Tri-Nations final.

With the crowd at Aussie Stadium unlikely to exceed 30,000 despite world league supremacy being on the line, New Zealand Rugby League acting chairman Andrew Chalmers last night bluntly rejected Sydney as next year's Anzac Test venue.

If the Kiwis get their way, there will be no internationals in the game's Australian cradle until the 2008 World Cup ? which is now likely to culminate in a Brisbane final.

"Our preference for the Anzac Test next year is Brisbane ? and you can quote me on that," Chalmers said.

"Look at the crowds we get up there, the media support and that all translates into commercial success."

ARL officials are leaning towards Sydney for the mid-season international ? mainly because of a glut of football at Suncorp Stadium in 2007.

But Chalmers argued: "This is supposed to be a mecca for league but what sort of crowds have we had in Sydney? I don't know the reason for it but the people in Brisbane seem to get behind international football more."

Last year's Tri-Nations final at Elland Road attracted 26,534 ? even though the home nation wasn't involved.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart said yesterday a 20,000 crowd would be "very disappointing".

"I think the Brisbane people have set the benchmark with regard to the enthusiasm and support they are showing to rugby league," Stuart said.

Australia captain Darren Lockyer agreed his home deserved to be favourite to host the World Cup final.

"I don't think I've played a Test match in Australia with any better atmosphere than last week," five-eighth Lockyer said.

"A lot of players say it's the best stadium to play at. That gives it a big opportunity to host such a big game as the World Cup final."

But Chalmers said it wasn't up to Australians to wave the flag for Sydney at the weekend ? it was down to expat Kiwis.

"I hope every Kiwi in driving distance puts on something black and comes to the game," he said.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY