Referee: Ashley Klein

Team Notes:

Kangaroos

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 3 Losses: 1; Points For: 95 Points Against: 66

Last Tri-Nations Result: Defeated the Lions 33-10

Kiwis

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 2 Losses: 2; Points For: 85 Points Against: 63

Last Tri-Nations Result:Defeated the Lions 34-4

New Zealand has named an unchanged team for Saturday night's Tri-Nations decider with Australia at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

Kiwi coach Brian McClennan has shown faith in the squad which defeated Great Britain 34-4 in Wellington two 10 days ago, saying that continuity plays a large role at the selection table.

The defending Tri-Nations champion heads into the final as underdog, having lost to Australia in its three previous meetings this year.

KANGAROOS
    Karmichael Hunt
    Brent Tate
    Mark Gasnier
    Justin Hodges
    Greg Inglis
    Darren Lockyer (c)
    Johnathan Thurston
    Willie Mason
    Cameron Smith
    Petero Civoniceva
    Andrew Ryan
    Nathan Hindmarsh
    Luke O'Donnell
    Interchange:
    Shaun Berrigan
    Anthony Tupou
    Mark O'Meley
    Brent Kite

KIWIS
    Brent Webb
    Shontayne Hape
    Iosia Soiola
    Steve Matai
    Manu Vatuvei
    Nigel Vagana
    Stacey Jones
    Ruben Wiki (capt)
    Dene Halatau
    Roy Asotasi
    David Kidwell
    Simon Mannering
    David Fa'alogo
    Interchange:
    Motu Tony
    Nathan Cayless
    Adam Blair
    Frank Pritchard

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations: Grand Final information and game day spoilers***
    Last edited by Queenslander; 21-11-06 at 08:07 PM.

Default Tate stakes bid for Tri-Nations final

Tate stakes bid for Tri-Nations final

Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:53 PM

Australia coach Ricky Stuart faces a tough decision to choose his Tri Nations final wingers with Brent Tate, Matt King and brilliant youngster Greg Inglis all vying for selection.

King missed Saturday night's 33-10 win over Great Britain at Suncorp Stadium with a calf injury.

He still has to prove his fitness for the eagerly awaited re-match with last year's champions New Zealand who embarrassed the Kangaroos 24-0 12 months ago.

Tate, a member of that side, would love the chance to erase the demons he and others have carried for the past 12 months.

While he dropped a difficult Mark Gasnier flick pass which could have led to an early try, his performance overall against the Lions was very good.

Tate finished the night with a spectacular try after the full time siren, regathering a kick from Brisbane teammate Karmichael Hunt.

He was denied a try earlier when Lions winger Gareth Raynor somehow halted his progress close to the line.

Stuart was impressed with Tate's strong game, experience and ability to come up with tries in big games, like he did for Brisbane in last month's grand final.

"We get a chance to have a shot at the Kiwis again which is what a lot of us have been waiting for," said Tate.

"But we're going to have to improve again because they (Kiwis) were ultra impressive beating Great Britain the previous weekend.

A fit King would be close to an automatic choice for the final, while Inglis is regarded as the most exciting young player in the world.

But Stuart could be swayed by Tate's desire to settle the score with the Kiwis and the winger's try after the siren was a timely reminder of his awareness and ability to be in the right place at the right time.

He was heading for the dressing rooms when Nathan Hindmarsh slipped a pass to Hunt just as the siren sounded.

"I don't know how many times you follow up those breaks and they don't kick it your way, so tonight I got lucky I guess," Tate said afterwards.

"I think (Hunt) stubbed his toe when he kicked it, it was that ordinary but it came off nicely," laughed Tate.
    Source: AAP

Default Roos need to lift

Roos need to lift
    Sunday, 19 November 2006 @ 1:12 PM
    sportal.com.au

Victorious coach Ricky Stuart has agreed with counterpart Brian Noble's assessment the Kangaroos will need to take their game to higher plane to beat New Zealand in Saturday's Tri Nations final.

A dominant display from captain Darren Lockyer, who scored one try, had a hand in three others and converted a second-half field goal with British momentum building laid the platform for Saturday's 33-10 win over the Lions.

Lockyer and recalled half-back Johnathan Thurston ran the show for the Aussies in the first-half with three converted tries giving Stuart's side a handy 18-4 lead at the interval.

But a courageous second-half fight back from the Lions prompted Noble to say he though Australia would need improve to beat the reigning champions in the Sydney decider.

"Australia were deserved winners but the scoreline probably flatters them in the end with that late score," the GB coach said.

"I think the Australians will have to step up a little bit. They will, they generally do in finals but I think it's going to be a really close game."

Although they have already beaten the Kiwis twice in the current Test series to book an early berth in the final, Stuart will be well aware of close tussles the pair enjoyed last year.

Each side won one game apiece in the lead-up before New Zealand thumped Australia 24-0 in the final.

And Stuart admitted he had reminded his side of that exact fact after the game.

"That's a fair call and something we have spoken to the players about," he said of Noble's comments.

"But don't lose sight of the fact that they (Britain) are a good football team out there tonight."

He preferred, however, to saviour his side's sweet revenge victory after a fortnight's discussion about the upset defeat to the British in Sydney.

Patchy defensive efforts so far this year has seen the Kangaroos give up 18, 15 and 23 points in their past three encounters.

But after holding firm under some intense second-half pressure, Stuart praised the nature of the 23-point victory, particularly after racing to a 12-point lead inside seven minutes.

"It was a lot different to what we've had over the last three games," he said. "I think definitely two, maybe the three of them we've had the opposition score against us."

"We've been on the back of the penalty counts and we haven't had good completion rates."

"But tonight I think we completed eight-out-of-eight in our first phase of the game and it helped us settle into the match."

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Roos need to lift
    Sunday, 19 November 2006 @ 1:12 PM
    sportal.com.au

Victorious coach Ricky Stuart has agreed with counterpart Brian Noble's assessment the Kangaroos will need to take their game to higher plane to beat New Zealand in Saturday's Tri Nations final.

A nt display from captain Darren Lockyer, who scored one try, had a hand in three others and converted a second-half field goal with British momentum building laid the platform for Saturday's 33-10 win over the Lions.

Lockyer and recalled half-back Johnathan Thurston ran the show for the Aussies in the first-half with three converted tries giving Stuart's side a handy 18-4 lead at the interval.

But a courageous second-half fight back from the Lions prompted Noble to say he though Australia would need improve to beat the reigning champions in the Sydney decider.

"Australia were deserved winners but the scoreline probably flatters them in the end with that late score," the GB coach said.

"I think the Australians will have to step up a little bit. They will, they generally do in finals but I think it's going to be a really close game."

Although they have already beaten the Kiwis twice in the current Test series to book an early berth in the final, Stuart will be well aware of close tussles the pair enjoyed last year.

Each side won one game apiece in the lead-up before New Zealand thumped Australia 24-0 in the final.

And Stuart admitted he had reminded his side of that exact fact after the game.

"That's a fair call and something we have spoken to the players about," he said of Noble's comments.

"But don't lose sight of the fact that they (Britain) are a good football team out there tonight."

He preferred, however, to saviour his side's sweet revenge victory after a fortnight's discussion about the upset defeat to the British in Sydney.

Patchy defensive efforts so far this year has seen the Kangaroos give up 18, 15 and 23 points in their past three encounters.

But after holding firm under some intense second-half pressure, Stuart praised the nature of the 23-point victory, particularly after racing to a 12-point lead inside seven minutes.

"It was a lot different to what we've had over the last three games," he said. "I think definitely two, maybe the three of them we've had the opposition score against us."

"We've been on the back of the penalty counts and we haven't had good completion rates."

"But tonight I think we completed eight-out-of-eight in our first phase of the game and it helped us settle into the match."
    Happy to see the Locky/ Thurston combo come back as strongly as they did...:win:...I hope it stays this way for the remainder of the Series... :win:

lol yes then its locky v thurston come first round

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    lol yes then its locky v thurston come first round
    Oh...finally Locky has some competition

Default Thurston retains spot

Thurston to retain spot
    Sunday, 19 November 2006 @ 10:05 AM
    sportal.com.au

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed that Johnathan Thurston will play at half-back during next week's Tri-Nations final against New Zealand..

Thurston won praise from his coach after he answered his critics with a man-of-the-match performance during Australia's 33-10 victory over Great Britain.

After controversially selecting Ben Hornby in the pivotal position ahead of Thurston earlier in the tournament, Stuart believes that the 23-year-old will play a crucial role in helping Australia re-claim the Tri-nations title from the Kiwis.

"That performance tonight was a lot better than his first two, and it's the sort of performance that's needed next week," Stuart told the ABC.

"I've spoken to Johnathan privately about that, and he knows the reason why I played Benny Hornby the week after. And it's important that he knows he's got that in him."

Stuart was pleased with the way his team performed against Great Britain, pointing to the improved completion rate early in the match as the reason for the quality performance.

"Tonight I think we completed eight-out-of-eight in our first phase of the game and it helped us settle into the match."

With the Tri-nations final to be played on November 25, Stuart is wary that his players will have little time to recover from any knocks they received against Great Britain.

"It's going to be very important for me and the staff as to how we prepare the players this week with our training."

"We'll probably we have to lighten the load a little, but we still have a little bit of work to do in areas of the game to improve, to jump up and play better, to try and win."

Johnathan Thurston was the stand out player in the last game..he definately brings something special to his game.

Australia v New Zealand should be a classic and intense conflict which either team could win.

It's good to have the defending Tri Nations champions lining up against the Roos.

I think the Kangaroos will win but the Kiwis are a massive danger.

Mason v Kidwell will be great and there may be a bit of rough stuff.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Kiwis have to be favourites for this game.

This shall be a classic game with a lot of personal battles at hand e.g mason vs kidwell.

Prepare yourselves as i can see some biffs happenning in the game as i expect it to be a slog it out in your face kind of game.

And it has been awhile since we have played the Kiwis after they have played the Lions twice, the Fien saga and got into the Final. They'll be a better team than we last played them.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Kiwis gunning for Tri-Nations titles
    Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:31 PM

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan says winning back-to-back Tri-Nations rugby league titles would rank among the country's greatest sporting achievements.

The Kiwis thrashed the Kangaroos 24-0 in last year's final to end Australia's 27-year domination of international league.

The two teams meet again in the Tri-Nations decider at Aussie Stadium on Saturday.

Australia will go in as favourites after winning the past three meetings between the sides - including two victories earlier in the tournament last month.

McClennan, though, said his side is starting to peak in the competition following their 34-4 demolition of Great Britain last match.

And he said winning again would be another massive boost for rugby league in New Zealand.

"It would be one of the sporting feats in New Zealand because people back home respect how good Australia is in rugby league," McClennan said.

"If we could pull this off it would be huge back home."

Source: AAP

Titan Club Captain

"If we could pull this off it would be huge back home."

Would it what!!..last year it was up there with the grand slam win by the All Blacks!! and I believe if we win it again this year it shall be bigger then the All Blacks end of season tour this year!

Titan Club Captain

Kiwis Working Hard On Title Defence
    20/11/2006
    NewstalkZB

Stacey Jones?Getty Images / Marty Melville

The Kiwis are already deep into preparation for this Saturday's Tri Nations rugby league final.

After reassembling in Sydney on Wednesday the team trained on Thursday and Friday, and had a heavy defence session on Saturday.

Coach Brian McClennan will be putting the team through their paces again on Monday.

He says the team will do weight training, have a solid outdoor session on Tuesday, and then more fine tuning for the rest of the week.

McClennan will name his side on Tuesday.

I sure am glad Bennet backed down from that threat to recall the kiwis from the tournament, would have been a waste of a series...probably better he isnt in the picture anymore with decisions like that, even if made in the heat of the moment...
    a few weeks later and i think the kiwis might just have some kind of advantage going into the final of the tri nations.