Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: NRL: 2007 Draw

Cant wait... I'll head down to Brookie on the Saturday Night and watch Manly play the Raiders .. why they would put the same round 1 game at the same place 2 years in a row ive got no clue but oh well lol ... and then on Sunday i'll stay home and watch the titans have there first hit out

League puts focus on Queensland
    By Daniel Pace
    November 09, 2006

NRL chief executive David Gallop hopes to disprove the notion that rugby league is Sydney-centric by launching the 2007 competition on the Gold Coast before a Queensland double-header in the opening weekend.

Gallop flew to the tourist strip today to announce the round one draw of the premiership, with reigning premier Brisbane granted its wish to kick-start the season in a blockbuster against North Queensland at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, March 16.

NRL new boys Gold Coast Titans will host St George-Illawarra at the same venue two days later to continue a feast of rugby league for Queensland fans.

Gallop said the season launch on Surfers Paradise beach on March 14, and the Brisbane double-header weekend, were significant steps in giving the Sunshine State more recognition.

"It's fitting testimony to the importance of the game in Queensland," Gallop said during a rainy day on the Gold Coast.

"I think today we put to bed the silly notion that some people have put out over the years that the game is Sydney-centric.

"Queensland's hugely important to us, not only for the NRL competition, but we all know the importance of Origin.

"Next year we'll have two games in Brisbane of Origin footy so there's so much for rugby league fans to look forward to."

In another important change to the NRL competition, Friday nights will feature two games while matches will also be played on Monday nights.

Grand finalist Melbourne will host 2005 premier Wests Tigers in the second round-one Friday night game, while Sydney Roosters will host South Sydney at Aussie Stadium for the first Monday night game.

Channel Nine will broadcast the Storm-Tigers match live into Melbourne and Sydney, and the Broncos-Cowboys match live into Queensland.

The Titans were denied the chance to take on the Dragons on Friday night, but club managing director Michael Searle was not bothered by the Broncos playing the season opener.

"I think it's fitting that the premiers kick the season off, so I'm pleased in that regard," Searle said today.

"Logistically, Sunday's far better for us in getting fans to the game."

The Broncos claimed they would be $250,000 out of pocket if they were denied the chance to secure star billing in the Friday night match.

The Titans requested their opening match be played at Suncorp Stadium because they feared up to 30,000 fans would be locked out of the historic clash if it was earmarked for the 17,000 capacity Carrara Stadium.

"It's a one-off event and our first game in the competition," Searle noted.

"For that, I think people will be more than prepared to drive 40 minutes or jump on a train or bus.

"I'm more than comfortable with the decision.

"I think it'll be a cracker of a game.''

Gallop said the remaining draw for the 25-round competition, with each of the 16 clubs having one bye, will be released next week.

AAP

I like it a lot.... Good to see the Titans up against the Dragons in round 1, should be a great clash...

The Knights up against the Doggies will also be a fantastic opener, and I might get to Newy to watch it this time...

The draw is good, here's hoping the rest comes out soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    The draw is good, here's hoping the rest comes out soon...
    The rest will be out sometime next week.

This is a fantastic first round i like it alot, Heres hoping all the rounds will be as good as the first one.

Titan One Clubman

bah, I don't want to travel to a dump for round 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    bah, I don't want to travel to a dump for round 1...
    You havent exprienced Engergy Australia Stadium have you ?

Titan One Clubman

Nope, is it that bad?

Nope, is it that bad?
    yes yes it is

Titan One Clubman

Atleast it is a "stadium" though.. Brookevale can't'even call their ground a stadium hence the name oval....

lol, but Lang Park was a great stadium...and its a 'park'.

GO THE MAROONS!

Titan One Clubman

But it was a good stadium in the 80's

It has been upgraded and is now the best stadium.

The only other park going around these days is "Toyota Park" and that place is a shocker.

The only other park going around these days is "Toyota Park" and that place is a shocker.
    Ahh but schifty that would have to mean that the GC will have the best park in the world as their Home ground will be known as Skilled Park.

Look at that round 1 draw. Fantastic!

We finally have 16 teams again and a lot of the other teams have strengthed or found their feet, re: cowboys and storm partically.

Its going to be the best season yet! Some of those Super League wounds will finally begin to heal once the Gold Coast take to the field!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

That Skilled Park should be pretty decent too.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Warriors vs Eels should be a great match. good that we can put mckinnon to work against the eels so early, just hope he doesnt get too confused and start running the other way or linking up with yellow jerseys :ok: