Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Titans reject Mogg trade offer

November 19, 2006
    The Sunday Mail

The Gold Coast has rejected a shocking bid to give them Queensland centre Adam Mogg in exchange for Steve Turner being allowed to stay in Mellbourne.

Titans managing director Michael Searle last night told The Sunday Mail Turner's agent David Riolo had suggested Mogg not join Catalans as planned and the storm also pay the Gold Coast compensation.

Fullback or winger Turner has signed with Gold Coast and Melbourne for next season with the NRL saying the binding agreement with the Titans must be honored.

"David came to us with the idea a few weeks ago," Searle said. "But unfortunately Melbourne couldn't come up with the difference when it came to the compensation."

"I think Adam had some personal family issues which have apparently now been resolved because he went to France a couple of weeks ago. So we are where we were before."

National Rugby League cheif executive David Gallop said on Friday the league may refuse to register Turner with Melbourne even if a court rules in the Storm's favour.

Searle said: "If they had come to us in the beginning something might have been able to be worked out."

"But Melbourne thought they had found a loophole and just signed him. He came to us for a release but there were no compassinate grounds, he just wanted to stay in Melbourne.

"He has to decide if he wants to play rugby league ot sit out the next three years."

Searle said he wanted Turner at training by tomorrow week but that did not constitute a deadline.
    We could have had Mogg instead of this guy

Adam Mogg's a good "late-bloomer", and a Queenslander. He could play more Origin games here instead of going to bloody Frog Land. Les Catalans do need a FEW French players in their side!!!
    Mogg would be a good replacement for "The Turncoat" if he stays with Melbourne.

:win: MANLY SEA EAGLES - PRIDE OF THE PENINSULA :win:

lol patrick very cheeky but funny.

i like mogg. he is underated and id like to see him play for queensland and the titans

damn, that seems like it would have been a good deal.

That said, there are times that I think Turner should be traded for 15 pizzas and 3 of slabs of beer. Lunch for the players could be a bigger assett to the team than Turner.

Mogg would have been a great signing but at least he goes to another fantastic club in Les Catalans.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Nope,keep turner(coat) to his original word and make him miss out on three years..stand your ground,Titans!

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Mogg for Turner-the-piker... I'd take that deal in an instant.

Pity things fell through.

I dont think many Coast fans like Turner, myself included.

I think we are all intent on teaching him a lesson.

Like Steve, Id take Mogg in an instant.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I dont think many Coast fans like Turner, myself included.

I think we are all intent on teaching him a lesson.

Like Steve, Id take Mogg in an instant.
    I shall second that .Not many people like Steve anymore. For those people who want the titans to remain strong Mogg is a great player especially after the origin series he found another gear.

My question is how much does memlbourne want Steve at the storm.

:dizzy: This saga could have been over if the Titans have taken Mogg. I think many clubs would have wanted Mogg in their backline. He is a constant performer and is now a representative player.

IMO the Titans were crazy not to take the Mogg for Turner deal. The Titans may be backing down and letting the Storm "win" however if Turner so badly wants to stay in cold old Melbourne than let him.

An update, the Gold Coast Titans have offered this up to Steve Turner and his management which is more than generous all things considered: play season 2007 with us and if you are still unhappy at the club, we will release you October 31, 2007.

We as a team do not and arguably should not offer this, though Michael has come up with an offer that keeps both parties out of court and Turner on the football field. If he is still unhappy, he can go back to Melbourne for season 2008.

This is as reported in Daily Telegraph this morning - no link to story as yet.

Here is the article DeeGan is talking about:

`Out' offer to renegade Titan Steve Turner
    Luke Turgeon

20Nov06

RENEGADE Titan Steve Turner has been offered a 'get out of the Gold Coast' clause after just one season if he is unhappy living on the glitter strip.

In a move designed to speed up negotiations with the winger, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said he put the deal on the table because he believes that once Turner finally makes it to the Coast the 22-year-old won't want to leave.

"What we have done as part of the negotiations is that I have offered to his manager that we would consider releasing him on October 31 if he didn't want to stay," said Searle. "It basically means there would be an out clause within 12 months if he was uncomfortable with the place.

"He has been saying that he is not comfortable coming here, but this shows that we are operating in good faith. We would like to think he would at least come here and experience it first.

"From our point of view, if he comes here and tries it and doesn't enjoy it, then he is free to go.

"If he wants to go back to Melbourne after that then good luck to him. I will drop him off at the airport if he wants.

"But I would be very surprised if he came here and didn't want to stay long term."

Turner verbally agreed to a three-year contract with the Titans in June before getting cold feet and re-signing with the Storm a month later.

The NRL has made it clear they will not register Turner's new contract with the Storm, believing he should honour his commitment to the Gold Coast.

As a result, Turner's only real options are to play for the Titans or sit out the next three seasons.

"If they do decide to go to court this dispute could be more than 12 months in the courts anyway," said Searle. "The 12-month offer shows the club is acting in good faith, the way it has done throughout the entire process.

"We are empathetic that he may be thinking twice about his decision but it doesn't remove the obligation to his original commitment.

"But that (the one-season deal) would only be if he came here.

"If he doesn't he is sitting on the sidelines for the next three years."

The news follows reports at the weekend that the Titans were offered the services of Queensland centre Adam Mogg and financial compensation in exchange for letting Turner remain in Melbourne. Turner's manager Dave Riolo did his best to broker the deal, which would have seen Mogg abandon plans to join English Super League club Catalans.

But the deal fell through when Melbourne would not meet the compensation criteria.

"The number of offers that were put to us for players to substitute were wide and varied," said Searle.

"The most likely one was Adam Mogg, but at the end of the day it wasn't an easy deal to achieve and Melbourne thought that the compensation request was too much for them."

Source: GC Bulletin

This is probably the best way around it.
    Hopefully he'll take the offer so this saga can finally end.

Titan One Clubman

Surely he won't be dumb enough to knock this back....

BTW- If it falls through feel free to take Frawley.

Banned

Steve Turner has pulled us all along for too long please Steve take the offer It's the best you can get from this situation and your still going to play NRL next year.