Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 11 a side Rugby League

NRL officials will take the first step in the most radical rethink of the game in a century by suggesting a series of trial games using 11 players a side.

The bold idea is to experiment with four fewer players on the field so the game becomes more open and attack-focused.

The idea is still in its infancy but the discussion of it at the game's highest levels suggests it has some merit. Already several clubs, such as the Roosters and Penrith, use 11-a-side games in junior trials, and those who have watched are enthusiastic about the change.

There has been a chorus of criticism from some of the game's great thinkers about the proliferation of dummy-half running and brick-wall defence. Warren Ryan and Ricky Stuart believe opening up the lateral space would make for a more entertaining and creative game.

But such a significant adjustment to the structure of the game will upset traditionalists as well as the slow-moving props who would be the likely victims of the up-tempo version.

League developed as a separate game when it split from rugby union in 1906, reducing the number of players on the field from 15 to 13. But over the past century, the fitness levels of the players and the speed of the game has increased dramatically.

It is understood NRL referees director Robert Finch will put the proposal to make several of next year's pre-season trial games 11-a-side to a group of NRL coaches, senior players and club officials who are meeting today in Sydney to discuss possible rule changes. The trials would be observed by the game's powerbrokers to analyse the style and type of play that would result.

The idea was mooted at a rules think tank last week, which included delegates from Great Britain and New Zealand, who cautiously supported it being raised at today's meeting.

For the concept to proceed, the meeting would have to recommend a trial which would have to be approved by the NRL board.

Source: SMH
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I say its worth a trial, there is nothing bad about trialling it in trial matches, but at the moment my opinion on it is that I don't like it. But like I said, it is worth a trial.

Titan Club Captain

Hmm i'm not too fussed on this idea, but hey..nothing wrong in giving it a go.

I think rugby league has and is and always should be a 13 a side game.

But there has always been supporters for a scaled down version to possibly run in the off season.

It would be interesting to watch. But rugby league osn't just a fast quick game, its a balance of defence and assault, it is a pressure game and you must dominate your opinion to gain pressure.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

look how twenty/20 changed the cricket world, could work!

I am all for bringing fresh ideas to the table as long as I can see a benefit with what is being put out there - this one is a dud for mine. Phil Gould sums it up best in an article today where he writes something like, "Well we may as well have Disney sponsoring us as it would become a Mickey Mouse game" - point taken Gus

Quote Originally Posted by HodgoBerro
    look how twenty/20 changed the cricket world, could work!
    Yet there are people out there who hate twenty/20 with a passion and im one of these people all it is, is a professional version of hit and run.

11 a side no thanks i prefer the good old tight contest games much more enjoyable than watching some side flogg the other side.

I'm against it. I think defensively, rugby league is already a hard enough sport. Reducing the amount of players to help you tackle big props will only make it harder.

I think we already have Sevens and Nines. And we should properly develop Nines as rugby league's scaled down version and organise a proper Nines circuit using existing Sevens and Nines tournaments.

World Sevens MUST return. I don't care if all the NRL players simply use reserves if they want, but it was a fantastic development tool for the world game.

Give it a run... no harm done if it doesn't work...It'd be great to watch...but what came to mind is the players would find it way more physically demanding...especially defense! Would that mean more interchanges or more bench players???

GO THE MAROONS!

I doubt it will ever take off, if only something like Sevens/Nines.

But one strength in rugby league is and always has been our willingness to try something new to evolve our game.

But this takes us too far away from the heart of our game, we have reached a level where our game is very balanced.

But it was willingness to evolve that has made our game such a continued success over the century and more of its existance.

Junior Titan

I love the game exactly the way it is. Just like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If they want to do 11 a side, only do it in trials. Never do it for real in NRL!

I agree with all here... keep it for Trials, not for the real deal NRL game.

NRL is about 13 a side battling it out, I mean who goes in an 11 a game comp, do we get rid of a centre and a front rower, do we remove the lock... it's just too crazy to think about actually considering something that could radically change the game and make it something completely different.

Do it in trials first, get the fans use to it, accepting it then go from there if you really want to play this game.

leave the game the way it is and try to fix up any problems (eg scrums) in the game before changing it and causing more problems.