Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Lions can do it Without Long - Wellens
    Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Great Britain will play their fourth test match in as many weeks in game 6 of the Gillette Tri Nations against Australia on Saturday night at Brisbane?s Suncorp Stadium, minus their star halfback, on the back of a 30 point thrashing by the Kiwis and needing to at least draw to qualify for the final. But fullback Paul Wellens believes they?re up to the task.

The Lions have arrived in Brisbane for the crunch game after a turbulent week.

Following the loss to New Zealand in Wellington popular playmaker Sean Long went home in mysterious circumstance but Wellens the team has remained positive.

?The feeling?s pretty good, obviously we had the disappointment of Sean leaving but we feel that?s galvanised the guys and we?ve come closer together as a group and we?re really looking forward to the challenge.

Obviously it?s going to be a really tough game and a big challenge but its one we?re really looking forward to.?

Long, man of the match against Australia in Sydney, will be a big loss to the tourists with Richard Horne given the job of coming into the number 7 jersey without a game under his belt on this tour however Wellens believes the Hull half can do the job.

?Maybe there?s a bit of pressure on the young lad coming into the test arena and I wouldn?t say filling Sean Long?s boots but he?s got a big role to play in the team.

I?ve played against Richard for quite a number of years and I know he?s quality and I?m sure if he goes out and plays his own game there?s no reason why he won?t be successful.?

Heading into the final pool match Great Britain control their own destiny needing a draw or win to make next week?s final in Sydney and the St. Helens fullback says they?d like to win by a comfortable margin rather that scrape in with a draw.

?Yeah that would be nice but I think it?s important we don?t think about the result we need to just concentrate on the processes which go into winning a game of rugby. You know play each set at a time, because if we start getting carried away with the end result our performance will suffer so I think it?s important we maintain our discipline in that respect.?

All the talk this week has been about the homesick Long and his decision to return home to his pregnant wife and Wellens says there wasn?t really any hint his St. Helens team mate would go home.

?It?s come as a bit of a shock, obviously I speak to Sean quite a lot, I don?t think any of us expected him to go home.

But Sean?s come to his decision for his own reasons and I think as team mates and as friends we respect that.

He?s gone home to be with his family and we respect that but we?ve got a job to do here so we?ll just carry on and get on with it.?

With Long gone it won?t just be Horne who needs to produce the game of his life Wellens believes the whole side will need to rise to the occasion if they are to beat Australia.

?Yeah I think so but I think it goes without saying. When you lose someone as important as Sean it brings the group together, we realise as professional players we all have to step up to the plate and its something we?re all looking forward to.?

The Tri Nations is played on a compact schedule to give players a proper break before their 2007 seasons begin, but that means Great Britain have to play at least 4 test matches in as many weeks and Wellens says that is taking its toll.

?To play test match rugby at this intensity week on week is pretty tough but that?s the cards we?re dealt and we?re not going to moan about it we just have to get on with it. A lot of us this is our first experience at touring and it?s a new experience and I?m sure we?ll learn a lot from it.?

Not only was Long the playmaker, he is also the first choice goal kicker so the Lions need someone to fill that role too. Coach Brian Noble is keeping his options open with a number of players practising and Wellens says they will probably work it out this afternoon.

?I?m not really sure Danny McGuire and I are going to have a bit of a kick off and see how things go. Me and Danny will put our heads together and see if we can come up with a decision.

If I do take the job I?m more than happy to do it, I mean its not something I?m accustomed to doing on a regular basis but with circumstances they way they are I might get the job. So be it.?

Beating Australia in Sydney a fortnight ago has capped a remarkable year for the St. Helens fullback winning the Super League man of steel award in a team that won the Challenge Cup and Grand Final. Now he faces another memorable occasion in front of the boisterous locals at Suncorp Stadium. Wellens says he?s looking forward to running out as he?s never played at the famous ground.

?No, never. Obviously I?ve heard a lot about it and the tradition of Lang Park and all the great games that have been played there and all the origin games and things like that so we know it?s a fantastic stadium.

I think they?ve sold over 40,000 tickets already and the guys are fully aware of that and there?s no better stage to play on with the great atmosphere and a big crowd. We?re really looking forward to the game and hopefully get a good result.?

The Barmy Army is assembling in Australia for the Ashes cricket tour and a large number of them attended the Lions 23-12 win over Australia in Sydney and the 26-year-old is hoping they are in Brisbane in big numbers.

?I would imagine so, but you can never really tell with our supporters they?re a bit wild but hopefully they turn out for us. They were magnificent in Sydney, we didn?t give them much to cheer about in Wellington last weekend so hopefully if they make the trip we can put on a good performance and give them some reward for the travel that they?ve made.?

Source: NRL

Default Game VI Preview: Australia v Great Britain

Game VI Preview: Australia v Great Britain
    Written by: Matt Starkey
    17/11/2006

The final clash of the 2006 Tri Nations competition is upon us, to be staged at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium between the Roo's and the Old Dart.

All indicators point towards something bizarre taking place in this contest.

The list of strange and unusual things that have occurred thus far begin with Kidwell's hit on Mason following on from Mason's haka antics, Melbourne having the biggest crowd so far, Fien's much publicised ineligibility, Mason's suspension for decking Fieldon and Berrigan's request to miss this week's game in preference for his brother's wedding.

But the blue ribbon goes to Long for his sudden departure amid rumours of drunkenness, gambling and a falling out with Noble. The official line from the British camp is that he's feeling a little worn out from a long season and wants to be with his heavily pregnant wife.

That just doesn't wash with me. Surely it wasn't the last few games here that tipped him over the edge and as such I think he should have declined to tour. Now he's come out and declared he won't tour again and may end his International career.

That's probably the smartest thing he's said, which translates to: ?I'll get in early and retire before they drop me for being a pea-heart?

So we're missing Mason and Long, two of the tournament's more colourful figures, leading to the question: ?What will steal the headlines??

Maybe the anticipated controversy will be that the game will lack a truly bizarre incident?

Whatever takes shape out there on the pitch will determine the two sides to play in the final next week in Sydney. Great Britain needs a draw or better to qualify or else New Zealand will attempt to defend their title as World Champions against the Aussies. This situation at least adds some interest to the competition with the Lions being the only team to defeat Australia so far, but the Kiwi's dominating them in their last start.

Simpkins is blowing the whistle for this one which probably acts as a bit of an evener in the situation, but dry conditions in Brisbane will suit the Aussies better. One unknown quantity could be the crowd. There are a lot of Pommies arriving in Brisbane for the first Ashes Test Match beginning next Thursday and if they get vocal it could lift the spirits of the Lions.

Looking at the teams, we have the visitors first?

Lions: Paul Wellens, Leon Pryce, Martin Gleeson, Keith Senior, Gareth Raynor, Danny McGuire, Richard Horne, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Jamie Pea**** (c), Gareth Hock, Gareth Ellis, Sean O'Loughlin

Interchange: James Roby, Adrian Morley, Lee Gilmour, Jon Wilkin

A few changes in the backs with Carney still injured. Pryce covers for him again with Gleeson replacing Yeaman in the centres. McGuire is joined by Hull's Horne for the Lion's third halves pairing so far.

The forward pack is unchanged as is the bench, with Noble cutting Yeaman, Carvell and Burrow from the equation.

And now for the Aussies?

Kangaroos: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Brent Kite, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell

Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Mark O'Meley, Antonio Kaufusi

A solid team, Tate again holds his place ahead of the injured King. Hodges comes back into the three-quarters with Lyon dropped. The big change is Thurston back in no.7 jersey at the expense of Hornby.

Mason's suspension has lead to a reshuffle in the pack. O'Meley goes back to the bench with Kite starting. Smith also rotates into the starting side with Berrigan moving back to the reserves. Ryan gets a reprieve in the backrow after being dropped for Game IV and Kaufusi is set to make his debut with Thaiday left out in the cold.

The Decision

I think Australia have too much skill here for the Poms.

With Thurston and Hodges returning to the fold, the Roo's look a more complete and fitter side. Mason's suspension weakens the forwards a bit but there are ample replacements with Australia blessed in the front row stakes.

I'm a bit disappointed for Thaiday though. He would provide excellent impact from the bench and I think Stuart is playing favourites with Tupou again. I can't really be anything else as Thaiday's form over the back end of the season was superb and he played through the entire semi-final series so fitness can't be considered a problem.

It's good to see Kaufusi in the mix though; he deserves a run and will improve for next season at the Storm.

The Poms don't look too bad though. Horne is an accomplished half who isn't shy at scoring tries. Whilst their pack was dominated by the Kiwi's last week, I still though Pea**** went well as did Morley. The rest of them need to stand up an be counted though. The backrow is a little suss if you ask me and Fielden has remained quiet. Maybe they should try to fire him up a bit and start Morley in this one?

I don't think they'll miss Carney too much as he hasn't been his usual bubbly self, which can be explained away through his injury. His replacement is more than capable but I'm worried about Gleeson in the centres.

I suppose Noble has opted for experience here but I feel he'll be exposed by Hodges and Inglis on that side of the field. These two guys could be devastating out there on Saturday night with Hodges often finding the outside of his man and Inglis rarely being run down in a foot race.

With the disruptions to the Lions camp this week there are two schools of thought. Some say it will steel their resolve, other say it will work against their cohesion. I think it will detract from their performance and we should see a dominant victory to the Aussies.

Default Kangaroos keen to crush Lions: Lockyer

Kangaroos keen to crush Lions: Lockyer

Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:20 PM

Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer says Australia's form hasn't been up to scratch in the Tri-Nations series but expects them to hit their straps against a desperate Great Britain at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

In an honest assessment of Australia's form, Lockyer conceded the team needed to go into next week's Tri Nations final in form and with some confidence.

Great Britain must at least draw to guarantee a spot in the Sydney final after the Kiwis were stripped of their points over the "Grannygate" affair.

With the possibility of an all-time Brisbane Test record attendance and the threat of being the first Australian side to lose successive Tests to Britain in 30 years, Lockyer is expecting the Kangaroos to fire.

"We really want to go into the finals next weekend in good form and with some confidence so tomorrow night's game is as important as all Tests are," said Lockyer, who has enjoyed a golden season having won both the State of Origin series with Queensland and the NRL premiership with Brisbane as captain.

"We got out of jail in Melbourne against the Kiwis and last week's loss to Great Britain gave us a real wake up call.

"Tomorrow night you'll see a real different team."

Lockyer however warned his players to expect the unexpected from a history motivated Great Britain.

He said the tourists, who'll field a new halfback with Richard Horne replacing Sean Long, had nothing to lose.

Crafty Lions coach Brian Noble has challenged his underdogs to play their way into folklore by upsetting Australia tomorrow night and beating them again the following weekend to take home the Tri Nations Trophy.

Having lost 23-12 to Noble's men a fortnight ago, Lockyer and coach Ricky Stuart have worked hard on making training sessions near flawless displays of ball handling which let them down badly in Sydney.

With the Lions steeled by talk they can't recover from the shock departure of Long for "personal reasons" earlier this week and Noble's words of returning home heroes, Lockyer said they would be more than a handful.

"It's all or nothing for Great Britain so you'd have think they won't leave anything in the tank tomorrow night," said Lockyer before another quality ball session at Arana Hills junior rugby league ground.

"With Long leaving and a new halfback they may play a little differently, so we have to go out there and expected the unexpected."

Lockyer has opposed Horne previously and said he was a "cheeky little customer" not unlike Long who enjoyed running the football at times.

"I haven't seen a lot of him this year but I can't see them changing the game plan that worked for them last time too much.

"I guess if they get desperate on the scoreboard, they've got nothing to lose, so they may do desperate things."

Lockyer's combination with Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston blossomed during the State of Origin series and with so many Queenslanders in the backline on Saturday night, it's a comfortable feeling for the skipper.

"We've trained very well this week but obviously come to the game, and things can change," he said.

"Cameron (Smith) JT (Thurston) and myself have played a bit of football together which I think helps.

"JT is starting his representative career and I'm finishing mine but we've formed a relationship on and off the field and it seems to be a good one.

"There's a fair few Queenslanders in the team but there's not one player out there I haven't played football with and everyone is familiar with one another and that has to help, particularly in the backs."
    Source: AAP

Don't worry Paddy, WE ARE gonna crush them Lions!
    Especially at Suncorp, the Queensland players will want to really perform for their home fans.
    I'd love to go, but... :')

Brent pads up to spare ribs
    By Steve Mascord
    November 18, 2006 AUSTRALIA prop Brent Kite is expected to wear a specially designed rib guard in tonight's Tri-Nations clash with Great Britain.

Manly's Kite, who picked up cartilage damage in the 23-12 loss to the Lions a fortnight ago, was photographed fitting the guard before training at Suncorp Stadium yesterday.
    Team doctor Hugh Hazard, who expressed concern about the injury immediately after the Aussie Stadium defeat, refuses to give players pain-killing injections.

But he said: "He won't need one. He's all right. If you treat injuries properly, you don't need them."

Hazard said centre Mark Gasnier (hip) was fully fit while winger Matt King (calf) would be available for the final after missing tonight's match.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Thumbs up

Stuart safe until 2008

By Steve Mascord

November 18, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

AUSTRALIAN coach Ricky Stuart is likely to get his wish of keeping the job until after the 2008 World Cup regardless of the result of this year's Tri-Nations series.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr last night gave Stuart a huge vote of confidence as the Kangaroos' back three of Karmichael Hunt, Greg Inglis and Brent Tate were warned to expect a kicking barrage in tonight's Suncorp Stadium clash with Great Britain.

The Lions must win the Test to keep their campaign alive.

Stuart was appointed in tumultuous circumstances after Wayne Bennett resigned in the wake of Australia's first series loss in 27 years, the 2005 Tri-Nations.

"You can tell by the way the team plays that Ricky's passion for the Australian jumper has rubbed off on the players," Carr said.

"It is a board decision and we only appoint coaches on a year-to-year basis, but if Ricky was happy and Cronulla was happy, I'd say there's a good chance he'd be OK."

Asked if a Tri-Nations defeat would change that situation, Carr said: "We've had coaches lose games before and I'm sure they will lose games again.

"The fact is we are not a walk-up start in Tests any more. We played New Zealand in last year's final and lost. If we play them again this year, we'll be walking a tightrope.

"Coaches can't be judged solely on a result."

Told of the comments, the dumped Sydney Roosters coach joked: "I'm a bit nervous about being told that I have someone's complete confidence, but that is good to hear.

"I've told them I am keen and available to go through to the 2008 World Cup."

The Australians trained at the match venue in sunny conditions yesterday morning, with prop Brent Kite wearing a special rib guard and centre Mark Gasnier (hip) running freely.

Stuart said he was concerned about the penalty counts against his side early in matches during the series and added that the inclusion of Richard Horne at halfback for the Lions would present specific problems to his wingers and fulback.

He is now convinced Danny McGuire and Hull's Horne will fill the halves role for the majority of the match after earlier suggesting there could be switches in the backline.

"I think they'll have a big tactical kicking game, from Horne and McGuire in particular," Stuart told The Daily Telegraph.

"Our blokes are aware of it and we've been doing plenty of work in that area."

Asked if he expected either Melbourne's Inglis or Brisbane's Tate to be specifically targeted, Stuart said: "I've got faith in both of them."

Tate said the players took little comfort from New Zealand's 34-4 win over Britain last week, nor was their confidence unduly damaged by the 23-12 loss to Brian Noble's men a fortnight ago.

"Last week, they had two tries disallowed and the Kiwis scored a try off the crossbar," said Tate. "I don't think you'd call our result disastrous. We did some good things in attack and couldn't finish off."

More than 40,000 tickets have been sold for tonight's match.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

That's bad news, theres better coaches out there than him!

GO THE MAROONS!

Lions to share win jackpot
    By Steve Mascord

November 17, 2006 12:00

GREAT Britain players have been given 250,000 reasons to make history by completing their first back-to-back wins over Australia in 30 years at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Rugby Football League executive chairman Richard Lewis has revealed to The Saturday Daily Telegraph that the entire first prizemoney will be given to the players and coaching staff if the Lions make history by lifting the Tri-Nations trophy.

It emerged during last year's tournament the RFL had offered the $250,000 bounty to the players, and despite the increased cost of coming to Australia and the smaller profit margins associated with the 2006 Tri-Nations due to the exchange rate, Lewis said nothing had changed.

"It is going to be the same," he said. "The same goes with the prizemoney ? the conditions and funding are different but the international federation thought it was important that we keep things consistent."

Leaving the coaching staff out of the equation, a British player who took part in every Tri-Nations match could expect to pocket $14,706 in bonuses on top of his generous pay for the tournament if the Lions win their next two games. The runners-up receive $125,000 and third place gets $62,500.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Go Aussie :win:

Primed for peak capacity

Johnathan Thurston is out to hit the heights against Great Britain tonight, writes Glenn Jackson.

JOHNATHAN Thurston must have wondered at times this season whether he was a footballer or a mountaineer, whether his boots had studs or long spikes.

The North Queensland and Australian halfback climbed his fair share of Everests - but probably descended quite a few more as well.

If you graphed his season, it would look something like a healthy heartbeat; sizeable peaks and troughs and very little in between.

After winning the Dally M award in 2005 and reaching the NRL grand final, Thurston began this season on a similar footing. As his Cowboys shot out of the blocks at breakneck speed, Thurston was heading them.

But it all changed just as quickly.

The Cowboys started sliding, and Thurston started abseiling with them. And just when we believed he was about to climb back to at least base camp, following his selection in the Queensland side for the State of Origin series, he was bundled back down the mountain after the Maroons' one-point loss, after which calls began for his head.

But he retained his spot and repaid the selectors' faith, playing a key role in the Queenslanders' remarkable come-from-behind series victory. Things were suddenly looking up. But his time on the summit was short-lived; the Cowboys' incredible fall continued - "We just couldn't put our finger on what was going on, it was so frustrating", he says now - and just to intensify the agony, the 23-year-old busted his knee, missing most of the home straight of the season.

Snuck in between were the distasteful rumours about Thurston's alleged relationships with teammates' partners - which he was forced to publicly deny at the height of them, as they threatened to tear the team apart.

"It was a tough year at times, and that was probably the toughest part," he said. "There were rumours around that there were four or five girls I was sleeping with. I'd had enough. I went to 'Parry' [Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr], he got the boys together, and they gave me their full support. There wasn't one person in the squad that had any doubts. That made me feel a lot more at ease."

Sitting in the foyer of the team's Brisbane hotel on the eve of tonight's Australia-Great Britain Tri-Nations encounter at Suncorp Stadium, Thurston is relieved: "I'm just glad I'm in this squad, to be honest." But importantly, he is also relaxed, belying the frustrating nature of his season. That, he says, is the key to his best-laid plans.

After such a wonderful year in 2005, Thurston admitted the great expectations that came with it were difficult to deal with.

"Yes and no," he said. "Sometimes I felt in some Cowboys games the pressure was getting to me. I had a few bad performances, but once I relaxed a bit, I felt a lot better. When I wasn't worried about all that, it was always better.

"Origin was a bit tough. After the first game, there was all this talk about ? we lost the first game and they were calling for Scotty Prince to come in. They said I didn't take control and shouldn't be playing. But I didn't want to worry about outsiders looking in. Once I blocked all that out, I was a lot more comfortable."

Being comfortable is, indeed, the secret of his success. "Just getting back to my routine leading up into the games," he said. "When I'm at home, I've got a game-day routine, and when I'm away I try to stick to it as well. Sometimes this year, I changed my routine, changed what I normally do on game day."

So today Thurston will be going through his own mental notes as his preparation for tonight begins; wake up, think about his role for the game, followed by breakfast, a spot of PlayStation, before another meal and an afternoon kip.

It's worked for the most part so far.

Thurston has an unbeaten record in an Australian jumper, having won in his debut in the Anzac Test, after which he was anointed as the heir to Andrew Johns's throne, following the representative retirement of the Newcastle great.

He was on the winning side in his two matches so far in the Tri-Nations, both against New Zealand. But his demotion for the clash with Great Britain in Sydney a fortnight ago - rotation policy or not - brought him back down to earth.

Thurston could see it coming. Unhappy with his performance when the Australians played their get-out-of-jail-free card against the Kiwis in Melbourne, Thurston has vowed to lift the bar tonight - and, hopefully for him, in a week in the final.

It's clear Thurston is desperate to make amends.

"It's pretty intense, tough footy," he said of the international fixtures. "I was pretty happy with my first performance, but I learnt something out of the second game. I didn't run the ball enough, and that's a big part of my game. I'll be looking to do that a lot more this game.

"It was pretty tough watching from the sidelines. I'm just happy to be in the side, but I know I've got a big job to do now."

It's kind of fitting. As Thurston approaches a Tri-Nations final, he has the chance to end his season where he started it, on the summit.

Source: Smh

I cannot wait for this game, here is hoping we see a tight contest with Australia coming out victors!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    That's bad news, theres better coaches out there than him!
    i think stuart is a good coach. all coaches make mistakes.

Default Our crowded house

Our crowded house

Steve Ricketts
    November 17, 2006 11:00pm

BRISBANE'S footy fans are set to smash a 52-year-old crowd record when Australia plays Great Britain at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Just on 42,000 tickets have been sold for tonight's match, which Britain must win to qualify for the final.

By contrast, next Saturday's final in Sydney could be played in front of a half-full stadium, with just 8000 tickets sold even though Australia has already qualified.

The record Test attendance in Brisbane is 46,355 for the second Test of the 1954 series against Britain at the Gabba, the scene of next week's Ashes cricket Test.

The record crowd for a Test at Suncorp Stadium, previously Lang Park, is 45,057 set in 1966.

Britain's halfback in 1966, Tommy Bishop, yesterday said it would take a full house tonight at 53,000-capacity Suncorp Stadium to convince him a crowd record had been set.

Gold Coast-based Bishop said thousands of people came over and through the fences at Lang Park for the 1966 Test, with the council having to set up barricades to stop the crowd spilling on to the playing area.

"I remember one bloke came out of the crowd and assaulted our fullback Arthur Keegan," Bishop said.

"I think he hated Pommies or maybe he was just mad.

"We should have won that Test and the Ashes. The Aussies kicked three goals to our two but we had the only real tryscoring chance and Bill Burgess put the ball down with the line wide open."

Bishop will be at the match tonight with two of his sons, Gary and Neil, and five grandsons who play league for Aspley.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr played in a schoolboy curtain-raiser to the 1966 Test and he agrees the real crowd figure that day was hard to gauge.

"But to get over 40,000 for a Test in November when the cricket season is in full swing is a great achievement," he said.

"The weather forecast is good and you never know what sort of a walk-up crowd you might get. It will be a great atmosphere with all the British tour groups here."

Carr said he expected ticket sales for the final to increase after tonight's match, when Australia's opponents would be known.

"Either way the final should have plenty going for it," he said. "If Britain get there they will be aiming for three wins in a row over Australia.

"If the Kiwis make it you can bet they will be fired up after having two points taken off them and of course they will be defending the title they won last year."

Brisbane could lose next year's trans-Tasman Test in April because of a glut of big football at Suncorp Stadium but Australian coach Ricky Stuart says that would be a shame.

"The people of Brisbane got right behind the team and helped us win the game (against New Zealand in May)," Stuart said. "I'm big on giving credit where credit is due and to take a Test away from Brisbane would be a kick in the backside."

Already counting the money is this great britain team? i cant see anything in their team that might reinforce their confidence....

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

hey um im not watching the tri nations at the moment coz other people have hold of the tv!!sucks! um well can someone please tell me who is winning, what the score is and if Brian Carney's playing?? thankyou