Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Titan
    Stuart has named Berrigan who was requesting the weekend off to be best man at his brothers wedding. Barry Berrigan, the former Canterbury and Brisbane utility is getting married this weekend and with Shaun selected in the Australian side, it's highly unlikely that Stuart or the ARL will allow him the time off to attend to a major family event.
    On ya Ricky - have a heart.

It's fine for him to rest players when there is no need to - why not let Shaun off for the night has a genuine reason to miss the match.

Obviously family doesn't come first for the coach.
    Last edited by Cowboy Titan; 14-11-06 at 03:54 PM.

Thurston back as halfback

November 14, 2006 12:00
    Article from: AAP

NORTH Queensland playmaker Johnathan Thurston has reclaimed the Test halfback spot in a reshuffled Australian team that will tackle Great Britain in Saturday night's Tri Nations clash at Suncorp Stadium.

Dragons utility Ben Hornby replaced Thurston in Australia's surprise 23-12 loss to Britain on November 4 as part of Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart's rotation policy adopted for the Tri Nations tournament.

Hornby was expected to at least feature on the bench on Saturday night with a question mark over the availability of Brisbane utility Shaun Berrigan.

The Broncos premiership player asked to be stood down from the weekend Test so he could be best man at his brother Barry's wedding.

However, Hornby was overlooked entirely with Berrigan named on the bench and Melbourne's Dally M Medallist Cameron Smith selected as starting hooker.

Another casualty from the shock loss to Britain was centre Jamie Lyon who was replaced in the centres by Brisbane matchwinner Justin Hodges.

Melbourne prop Antonio Kaufusi will finally make his Test debut on Saturday night after withdrawing from the November 4 clash due to a hamstring injury suffered at training.

Kaufusi has been named on the bench in place of Brisbane livewire Sam Thaiday.

Following Kaufusi's selection, Parramatta youngster Jarryd Hayne is the only member of Australia's 23-man Tri Nations squad yet to play a game in the tournament.

Dragons centre Mark Gasnier has been named in the starting side despite being under an injury cloud with a hip complaint.

Manly prop Brent Kite has been promoted to the starting front row with Bulldogs enforcer Mark O'Meley benched.

Bulldogs captain Andrew Ryan is in the second row in place of the suspended Willie Mason.

Injured Melbourne winger Matt King (calf) was not considered.

If Australia beats Britain it will play New Zealand in the final at Sydney's Aussie Stadium on Saturday week.

If the Kangaroos lose or are held to a draw they will play Britain in the final.

Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Brent Kite, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Mark O'Meley, Antonio Kaufusi.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Berrigan to miss the big day

By Wayne Heming
    November 14, 2006

BROTHERLY love is alive and well in the Berrigan household in Brisbane.

Barry Berrigan has told his younger brother Shaun he wants him to play for Australia against Great Britain in Saturday night's Tri-Nations Test rather than be best man at his wedding.

Shaun, who's expected to be named by coach Ricky Stuart later today, wanted to be at his brother's wedding at Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast.

They've been close throughout their lives and both played for the Broncos until a neck injury forced Barry into premature retirement earlier this year before Brisbane won the premiership.

"If Shaun gets picked he's going to play," his brother told AAP.

"I told him to play.

"It wasn't difficult in my eyes, it's a no-brainer.

"Playing for your country comes first.

"I get to spend the rest of my life with him."

Barry said the TV sets would be on at his reception when he marries long-time sweetheart Vicki Hobson.

AAP

Source http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

I guess I was wrong in my previous comments about the coach. Apologies to Ricky.

Titan First Grade Regular

Nice to see Kite moving up to starting front row - but im still not convinced with Tupou ahead of Thaiday. Sam has a great debut off the bench in my opinion.
    [

Junior Titan

Red face Game

hey i am going to this game tihs weekend
    :guit: hey guys i play for Toowoomba junior brother on the WING, first year of league and already 42 tries :guit:

GO TITANS

Me to apexx, its gunna be awesome!

GO THE MAROONS!

Junior Titan

Default Game

yer i am going with my school rugby specialization program
    :guit: hey guys i play for Toowoomba junior brother on the WING, first year of league and already 42 tries :guit:

GO TITANS

Much more stronger and more combined side there... GO AUSSIE GO... I want an English battering so that we can use it as fans for the Ashes...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Much more stronger and more combined side there... GO AUSSIE GO... I want an English battering so that we can use it as fans for the Ashes...
    Fans for the ahses, nice little play on words there BDT.

Glad to see Thurston back into the side, Poms aren't gonna know what hit 'em this weekend. C'MON AUSSIE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

No real surprises in that team, although it would be nice if Matt king was available!

GO THE MAROONS!

Australia to win by lots!
    Great to see Thursto will be playing!
    Still dunno why Anthony Tupou's in the side over other players though... :dizzy:

Great Britain simply cannot win without Sean Long. They have no chance.
    They will probably have Leon Pryce at 6 and Danny McGuire at 7 maybe, unless they bring Richard Horne in the side or something. STILL HAVE NO CHANCE THOUGH!!!

AUSSIES!!! :win: :win: :win:

QLD Cup Titan

Aust will win comfortably but I am disappointed & surprised King is not in the side.

thurston in team - aussies to win by at least 8

Horne gets No.7 spot for Great Britain
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:01 PM

Great Britain has given Richard Horne the hot seat at halfback vacated by Sean Long for the Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Australia in Brisbane on Saturday night.

The Hull halfback will get his first start of the series after being chosen to replace Long, who quit the tour and flew home to Britain on Monday citing personal reasons.

Horne said he was looking forward to starting at No.7 after spending most of his 10-match international career as a utility player.

"I've been waiting a long time to get my opportunity, I'm looking forward to it," Horne said.

"I'm just happy to be in at halfback, I've been there for the last couple of years now playing halfback at Hull and enjoying every minute of it and hopefully I can take that on to the field with Great Britain and achieve things I have with Hull with Great Britain."

Coach Brian Noble said it was a tough decision to choose between Horne and Rob Burrow - who was named on a seven-man bench - at halfback.

"Richard Horne has been closest in relation to previously being 18th man, and while I'm excited for Richard, I'm disappointed (for Burrow) and I can only reinforce to the fans at home and the coaches that Rob Burrow has been outstanding," Noble said.

Great Britain will also be without star winger Brian Carney for the clash after he was again ruled out with a hamstring injury.

The visitors need to at least draw the match to advance to the final against Australia at the expense of New Zealand after being thrashed 34-4 by the Kiwis in Wellington at the weekend.

Lock Sean O'Loughlin will return to the starting line-up after missing that defeat with a leg strain.

He returns to his regular position at the back of the scrum with captain Jamie Pea**** moving back to the front row from the second row where he was forced to cover last week.

Centre Martin Gleeson comes into the side at the expense of Kirk Yeaman, who has been named among the replacements.

Youngster Garreth Carvell has also been named on a seven-man bench with three players expected to be omitted later in the week.

Great Britain: Paul Wellens, Leon Pryce, Martin Gleeson, Keith Senior, Gareth Raynor, Danny McGuire, Richard Horne, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Jamie Pea**** (capt), Gareth Hock, Gareth Ellis, Sean O'Loughlin. Replacements: James Roby, Adrian Morley, Lee Gilmour, Jon Wilkin, Kirk Yeaman, Garreth Carvell, Rob Burrow (three to be omitted).

Source: AAP