Default Matt Orford appointed Captain of Sea Eagles.

'Good citizen' to lead Manly

November 10, 2006 MATT Orford has agreed to one of the toughest jobs in rugby league, taking over the Manly captaincy from inspirational leader Ben Kennedy.

The Sea Eagles today announced the halfback as skipper for the 2007 season following Kennedy's retirement from the game.

Manly coach Des Hasler announced Orford as the club's new leader in front of all the players at the club's training headquarters today.

"He's a thinker, a good citizen, a leader and he has the respect of his teammates ? he will do a difficult job well," said Hasler.

Orford was surprised by his selection.

"I hadn't given it much thought but to follow an inspirational captain like Ben Kennedy into the role at such a great club is an honour," he said.

"I'm humbled really but I accept the role with open arms and a captain is only as good as the team he leads.

"I have plenty of experience and back-up all over the field and I will be looking for the support of proven players like Steve Menzies, Brent Kite, Steve Bell, Jamie Lyon and others,"

AAP

Titan First Grade Regular

I expected him, Although i reckon Steve Menzies could do the job aswell.
    [

Knew he would get it .. if he was vice-captain all of last year then it would be the only correct choice ...

and Menzies says that having the Captaincy affects the way he plays because he doesnt concentrate on his own game as much ...

Titan First Grade Regular

ORFORD, ORFORD, ORFORD Oi, Oi, Oi, congats man now we can concentrate on winning the premiership it is long over due, just big happy planet.cya. eace:

Good luck with that Cliffy

Good work by Orford to be picked as Captain of the Sea Eagles, a good choice and hopefully the added responsibility will improve and not decrease his playing ability, as I reckon with a bit more of a leadership role Orford could flourish and continue the rise from a solid 2006...

Titan First Grade Squad BrisbaneBroncosRule's Avatar

Good for Matty

I LOVE MICHEL

Junior Titan

Haha, Michael Monaghan, from captain and halfback too hooker and nothing. Poor guy, he didn't really do anything wrong.
    Smooth as silk

Well done Ox, deserving 2007 Manly Captain!

Titan CEO

LOL.

He cant handle the pressures of being a halfback at finals time, now he has to handle the pressure of being a halfback AND a captain?