Default Prince eager to captain Titans

Prince eager to captain Titans

Trad McLean

09Nov06

SCOTT Prince wants to be the captain of the new Gold Coast rugby league franchise.

While he said he would respect whatever decision Titans coach John Cartwright makes when the team plays its first trial in February, he would dearly like the honour.

Prince had to give up the leader's rights at his former club, the Wests Tigers, after he signed with the Gold Coast midway through last year.

The representative halfback knew that would always be the case if he did switch allegiances but he hopes he can salve those wounds by proving to Cartwright he is the man for the job.

"I enjoyed being captain while at the Tigers and I would be very proud and honoured to do it here," said Prince yesterday as the Titans entered a two-night camp at Casuarina Beach, just south of the border.

"At the end of the day it is a decision the coaching staff have to make. If they choose another player I have to respect that it is best for the team.

"It was something I had to deal with in terms of coming here. If I'd stayed at the Tigers I probably would have been captain for the years I was signed there.

"I had to weigh that up and knew I had to give that up. Certainly in the back of my mind I was hoping I would get it here.

"I enjoy the captaincy responsibility and everything involved in it."

While this week is more of an orientation process for the Titans, on Monday the grind starts when pre-season training gets under way officially. The Titans administration have outlined to the players how hard they worked to win the 16th NRL franchise, and Prince said they were appreciative of it.

They could only repay the debt by working hard on the training field to ensure the team's success.

"It is exciting this time around because it is not too often you go to a new franchise that is starting off from the ground up," said Prince, who has previously played at the Cowboys, Broncos and Tigers.

"Michael Searle and his team explained the hard work they had to go through, the disappointment of first missing out, and then the jubilation of getting in.

"They have had to overcome a lot of hurdles. In life in general you always have your critics and doubts about things. Obviously they have learned from their previous mistakes with teams on the Coast.

"We haven't kicked a footy yet and Searley and his team have done a great job.

"Now it is up to the coaching side of things from the head coach down to the players.

"There is a bit of pressure on us to perform but I think we have the team to do it."
    Source: GC Bulletin

He deserves the spot. He is an 80 minute player, and has the runs on the board - having already captained a team to the NRL premiership.

Top bloke too, and great with the press.

Does not carry on like a two bob watch (Gower, Thurston, even Johns)

Quote Originally Posted by Throb
    He deserves the spot. He is an 80 minute player, and has the runs on the board - having already captained a team to the NRL premiership.

Top bloke too, and great with the press.

Does not carry on like a two bob watch (Gower, Thurston, even Johns)
    Great call!!! Spot on mate

Banned

Prince is my favorite player in the titans line up currently and I fully beleive he deserves it he was a born leader and he's just a nice guy in general but I firmly beleive that we need a Queensland captain to establish we are a Queensland team.

He is the one we all want to lead us into battle. He is a great captain.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan First Grade Regular

I think Prince will get it - he is the obvious choice because of his previous Captaincy role.
    [

Yeah, we have covered this topic a couple of times and once again my 100% support goes to Scott Prince as being our captain. There is no better option than the 2005 Premiership winning captain.

Junior Titan

Default 100% behind you Scott

100% support for Scott to gain Captain of the Titans. To see this man star in his work with the Tigers was awesome, job well done!
    Will support you all the way Scotty. :win:

I agree with all those who have posted that Prince would be a great choice as captain.

Helen

Junior Titan

Arrow Scotty for Captain

I think that Scotty should be captain, as he is an AWESOME captain. I watched him captain the tigers to a grand final win (gosh that was awesome) :win:

He was Captain of the year in 2005 after taking over from Mark O'Neil mid season, that in its self shows how great he is at leading a team.

The Titans would be crazy to give the job to someone else. Pick Scotty as he won't let you down.

100% BEHIND YOU SCOTTY.

Tiger.rose

Junior Titan

Thumbs up Scott

GO PRINCE

he will be an awsome captain cant wait for the titans first game :yell:
    :guit: hey guys i play for Toowoomba junior brother on the WING, first year of league and already 42 tries :guit:

GO TITANS

A good captain leads by example, encourages, praises and has a never say die attitude.

Prince certainly talks a lot while he's playing, but without knowing what's said, it's hard to form an opinion on his ability from this alone.
    The fact that he talks a lot is a good start, but it's more about how the players take it on board that truly measures his effectiveness as captain.

It matters more what the other player's opinion of Prince is. If the greater majority of players respect his ability to lead and are willing to follow unquestionably, he will make a good captain.

Luke Bailey or Preston Campbell shouldn't be forgotten.

QLD Cup Titan

Initially I thought Campbell should be captain but now I think Scotty Prince is the man for the job & will be a good leader for the club.