Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Titans moving in on Broncos' turf

Titans moving in on Broncos' turf
    Steve Ricketts
    October 31, 2006 11:00pm
    Send this article: Print Email

NRL newcomers the Gold Coast Titans are poised to gatecrash the Broncos' premiership defence at Suncorp Stadium next year, leaving the reigning premiers $250,000 out of pocket.

The Titans have asked the NRL for a debut home match at Suncorp Stadium against St George-Illawarra on the same weekend the Broncos will be at home to the North Queensland Cowboys.

The Titans-Dragons match could open the season on the Friday night, March 16.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said he feared thousands of league fans would choose the historic nature of the Titans' debut match ahead of the traditional Queensland derby.

But Titans managing director Michael Searle yesterday made no apologies.

NRL operations manager Graham Annesley said the draw was still up to 10 days away and nothing had been decided on the season openers.
    Source: Courier Mail

Titans First Grader

Why play at Suncorp and not at home?

Quote Originally Posted by ~lee~
    Why play at Suncorp and not at home?
    I agree but its probably something more to do with money but playing the dragons at suncorp it could possibly turn into a dragons homegame.

Broncos and Cowboys fans will go to their game either way.
    And i'd say it has more to do with Cararra being an awful stadium, and the Titans expecting a LOT of people wanting to go to their first game.

Titans First Grader

How far is suncorp from cararra and hows it work for people with season tickets if home games arnt played at home?

Be carefull what you wish for, the Broncos are heavy hitters in this corporate game of cat and mouse, they are one big cat too !!!

I guess a lot of it has to do with the money.. and maybe a few other reasons.. but no matter what, and I think a lot of other Titans supporters will agree, the Titans game should be played HERE on the Coast, not up in Brisbane. What's the point of having a Gold Coast team if they're not even going to play here? I know a lot of Titans supporters up here who are very upset.

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie
    I guess a lot of it has to do with the money.. and maybe a few other reasons.. but no matter what, and I think a lot of other Titans supporters will agree, the Titans game should be played HERE on the Coast, not up in Brisbane. What's the point of having a Gold Coast team if they're not even going to play here? I know a lot of Titans supporters up here who are very upset.

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

I agree and disagree.
    First home game being played away from home... meh.
    But there'll be so many people wanting to be at the game, Cararra just won't cope. Suncorp takes, what? 50,000?
    I think once the Robina stadium is finished there won't be a need to play in Suncorp, just at the moment it's looking attractive simply because of the sheer number of people it can hold.

On a personal level i'd not mind a few games at Suncorp, less travelling for me, but heck, i've gone to Sydney enough times to go to games, Gold Coast isn't exactly a long trek! And likewise, nor is Brisbane from the coast, so people can still easily get to any home games moved to Suncorp.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I agree and disagree.
    First home game being played away from home... meh.
    But there'll be so many people wanting to be at the game, Cararra just won't cope. Suncorp takes, what? 50,000?
    I think once the Robina stadium is finished there won't be a need to play in Suncorp, just at the moment it's looking attractive simply because of the sheer number of people it can hold.

On a personal level i'd not mind a few games at Suncorp, less travelling for me, but heck, i've gone to Sydney enough times to go to games, Gold Coast isn't exactly a long trek! And likewise, nor is Brisbane from the coast, so people can still easily get to any home games moved to Suncorp.
    I know what you mean about Suncorp being bigger, but that's not the point.. what I meant was that a lot of Titans fans will take this as a HUGE slap in the face. It's a Gold Coast team, the home games should be played on the Gold Coast. Simple as that. And if they aren't, then people living on the Coast should get free travel on public transport to and from the game, and cheaper tickets :emp: Hehe

I'm all for free travel, be it games at Suncorp or the Gold Coast!

$20 train ticket on top of the entry, it'd start adding up far too much. Hopefully the Titans can work out a deal with QR

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I'm all for free travel, be it games at Suncorp or the Gold Coast!

$20 train ticket on top of the entry, it'd start adding up far too much. Hopefully the Titans can work out a deal with QR

Qld rail allready allow free train travel to Suncorp when you pre-purchace your tickets, we do it alot to see the Roar, atm

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Ale Panther
    Qld rail allready allow free train travel to Suncorp when you pre-purchace your tickets, we do it alot to see the Roar, atm

Coolies

I still think the games should be here. What's the point of having a Gold Coast team if they don't even play here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie

Coolies

I still think the games should be here. What's the point of having a Gold Coast team if they don't even play here?
    It has been stated numerous times that the GC would play a couple of there home games at suncorp.

If the Titans get their wish to play against the Dragons this game will sell out at sunccorp.

There will be plenty of opportunities for you to go see the GC play at home though so i wouldnt worry bout this one too much.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    It has been stated numerous times that the GC would play a couple of there home games at suncorp.

If the Titans get their wish to play against the Dragons this game will sell out at sunccorp.

There will be plenty of opportunities for you to go see the GC play at home though so i wouldnt worry bout this one too much.
    I know they've said it before.. doesn't mean people like it..

Oh well. I'll go see them whenever I can. Should be fun when I'll be about to have a baby pop outta me.

Question

I just think they need to use all the temporary seating possible to increase the capacity.

I know the council and AFL don't want the seating on the ground to protect the surface but surely they'd make an exception due to the importance of the Titan's first game.

At the 2005 Cowboys vs Bulldogs game, they fit nearly 22,000 in there and that was with only 6 of the temporary stands in front of the eastern stand. I'd say they could fit another 4 - 6 of them in there and then maybe put some more in at the top of the hills at either side of the eastern stand.

They've got heaps of the temporary stands sitting out the back so why not use them?