Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The Fien Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Ale Panther
    he lives there now, his daughter was born there, in less than 12months he will be naturalised, so i'd say right at this piont he is more Kiwi than Aussie,

if he was to say he's sorry, would he be picked for Australia ? :yell: NO :yell: ! so let the poor guy get on with it !
    But Panther he was born in Mt Isa! they should like Coaster said in a post, have all this cleared up at an earlier age!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCliffy#01
    Let me understand this

Fiens parents are Australian

Fiens maternal and Paternal Grand Parents are Australian

Fiens Great Grand Parents are Australian except for one Great Grand Mother

Making him 6.75% New Zealand, that makes him 93.25% Australian in my book.

Fien was born in QLD

Raised in QLD, never lived in NZ

Played all his League in Australia, represented QLD

Yeah sounds like a New Zealander to me.

It is like me claiming that i am Danish because my Danish Family went to Britain in the 1300's, that is sheer lunacy.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Titan First Grade Regular

he lives there now, his daughter was born there, in less than 12months he will be naturalised, so i'd say right at this piont he is more Kiwi than Aussie,

if he was to say he's sorry, would he be picked for Australia ? :yell: NO :yell: ! so let the poor guy get on with it !
    Ok once he qualifies his residential period and becomes a New Zealand Citizen then i have no probs with him playing for NZ.cya. :curse:

Quote Originally Posted by jenny
    But Panther he was born in Mt Isa! they should like Coaster said in a post, have all this cleared up at an earlier age!

alot can happen after you are born, Andrew Simmons (aussie cricket team) i think was born in England, but you couldn't get a more Qld or Aussie Bloke for the sake of 6 or so months we want to ban him from playing ? he was never going to play for Qld or Australia so let him have a go !

Titan First Grade Regular

alot can happen after you are born, Andrew Simmons (aussie cricket team) i think was born in England, but you couldn't get a more Qld or Aussie Bloke for the sake of 6 or so months we want to ban him from playing ? he was never going to play for Qld or Australia so let him have a go !
    The diferrence between Symonds and Fien is that Symonds is an Australian Citizen, while Fien is not a New Zealand Citizen.cya. :dead:

The diferrence between Symonds and Fien is that Symonds is an Australian Citizen, while Fien is not a New Zealand Citizen.cya. :dead:

i answered Jennys Quote "he was born in Mt Isa" ? i just think its nit-picking on a grand scale, i don't think Nathan is a super player, but for the sake of a good international game of footy i'm prepared to overlook this. :noidea: :noidea:

Titan Club Captain

Let me understand this

Fiens parents are Australian

Fiens maternal and Paternal Grand Parents are Australian

Fiens Great Grand Parents are Australian except for one Great Grand Mother

Making him 6.75% New Zealand, that makes him 93.25% Australian in my book.

Fien was born in QLD

Raised in QLD, never lived in NZ

Played all his League in Australia, represented QLD

Yeah sounds like a New Zealander to me.

It is like me claiming that i am Danish because my Danish Family went to Britain in the 1300's, that is sheer lunacy.
    Am I saying he is a New Zealander?, no, he is an Australian, I simply said he has more New Zealand blood, and herritage in him, then what Antonio Kaufusi and Karmichael Hunt do with Australia!!!, which Pricey was correct!!!

IN all honesty if his heart is with N.Z let him play for them its not like he was going to represent Australia anyway and he will be playing for N.Z again next year on residency grounds so who cares ?.

And dont forget its a tow way street with these players aswell they got fien and we got hunt.

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    IN all honesty if his heart is with N.Z let him play for them its not like he was going to represent Australia anyway and he will be playing for N.Z again next year on residency grounds so who cares ?.

And dont forget its a tow way street with these players aswell they got fien and we got hunt.
    AND that lard Tonie Carrol, the only reason he aint in the Tri Nats this year is because of injury!

I'm wondering what David Kidwell's thoughts on Carrol are, after all Carrol was born and grew up in Christchurch, as did Kidwell. And we all know how passionate about New Zealand Kidwell is. :satan:

Bloody hell this is madness at its best! :roll:
    This should go for everyone ..from where ever ....if you are born in a country and a citizen of that Country...You should play for that country!
    :yell: NRL WAKE UP...GET IT RIGHT!
    Coaster had the best idea...get it sorted out when they are younger... :ok:

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

A Fein return to NZ
    By Peter Badel

November 19, 2006 12:00

NEW Zealand coach Brian McClennan has offered unqualified support to a besieged Nathan Fien, saying his international career with the Kiwis is not over despite the bitter fallout from the Granny-gate scandal.

The former Queensland hooker, who is presently finding solace in his home town of Mt Isa after being booted out of the Tri-Nations tournament, has indicated he is committed to the Kiwi cause and wants to again represent New Zealand.

Under the code's residency rules, Fien will be eligible to represent the Kiwis next October as the Warriors utility will have lived in Auckland for the past three seasons. That means he can be chosen for the Kiwis' All Golds tour starting in mid-October - and McClennan insists the recent furore will not hinder his prospects.

"He will be eligible through residency next year,'' McClennan said. "He'll be in the same category as Brent Webb, Karmichael Hunt, Antonio Kaufusi and a host of others who have qualified through residency.

"If he's best man for the job, of course I'll pick him. I've seen Australian pole vaulters with Polish heritage, our Kiwi netball team has a South African, Irene van Dyk. She qualified through residency.

"If Nathan's playing well and he's qualified to play for New Zealand, yes he can be picked. But that's still a while away.'' McClennan's stance is sure to anger a section of the Kiwi fraternity, with former national coach Bob Bailey hitting out at Cairns-born Webb's selection.

Former Test captain Gary Freeman has labelled the selection of expatriates as an "embarrassment'' to the Kiwi jumper. "Playing for the Warriors for three years shouldn't qualify you,'' Bailey said.

"That's a joke. It's an even bigger joke now. We're the laughing stock of rugby league. Willie Mason and Mark Geyer were right. A rugby bloke said to me that the Tests look like NRL club games with the players just swapping into different jerseys.''

New Zealand management maintains it does not regret offering Fien a Kiwi jersey. McClennan discussed the reasons why the Kiwis were prepared to bend international eligibility rules to select Fien.

"I don't think people realise just how little talent we have out there,'' he said. "There are a lot of (Kiwi) kids in Jersey Flegg and Premier League but there's probably only 20 or 30 at NRL level who are up to Test standard.

"The Aussies have a lot more talent than us. That's why they are so dominant and why we are so disappointed to lose a bloke like Karmichael Hunt.''

The ARL hierarchy will not oppose the selection of Fien once he meets residency requirements.
    Fien has vowed not to terminate his ties with New Zealand. "I will always cherish the two games I played,'' he said.

"Their support has merely reinforced my commitment to playing for the Kiwis in the future.''
    Source: Sunday Telegraph