Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Coast will offer Walker new deal

Gold Coast will offer Walker new deal
    Luke Turgeon

20Aug07

THE Titans are set to offer former Origin flyer Chris Walker a new deal for 2008.

Returning from a hamstring tear and playing just his fourth game for the Gold Coast, Walker has appeared to put his much-publicised troubles behind him and looked dangerous at fullback during the Titans' win over the Roosters at Carrara yesterday.

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle last night said he would put an offer on the table for Walker when the season finishes.

But with most of the Gold Coast's salary cap spent for next season, the deal is not expected to be worth a great deal.

When asked how much money was left to spend on Walker, Searle replied: "Not a lot to be fair and I think Chris knows that as well. That is going to be a telling factor for him.

"At the end of the day we will do our best.

"Chris knows how I operate and I will give him my best offer and if that is good enough for him then that is great.

"He will certainly have an opportunity here, there is no doubt about that.

"We have always said we would look after Chris at the end of the year and look at it, but we just want him to stay focused on his footy at the moment."

Searle said he was pleased with the way Walker had applied himself since returning from an in-house suspension for an alcohol-related incident earlier this year.

"Chris has been great in his comeback," said Searle. "He has been very focused, he has been playing some great footy and is doing all the little things right.

"He is playing some good footy at fullback and his courage under the high ball is great.

"We always said the important thing was for him to focus on getting back in first grade and things would look after themselves after that."

The Gold Coast Bulletin understands that Walker's management is sounding out a number of other clubs that might be interested in Walker's services should a deal with the Gold Coast fall through.

But Walker has made it clear he wants to remain on the Gold Coast.

Walker said the fact he was still without a contract for next season was not affecting the way he approached his football.

"I don't think so," he said. "When you go out to play footy, you go out there hungry every time.

"Whether we are in the semis or out of the semis you are always out there giving it 100 per cent to win."
    Gold Coast Bulletin

Junior Titan

I hope that there is enough left in the bank for Chris as I really think his best years are in front of him on the Coast. He looked really good yesterday even though he made a few small errors and I would dearly love to see him at the Titans for a long time to come.

Hope he signs on. With a good season next year he'll earn a bigger contract for 2009 and beyond.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

CMON CHRIS RE-SIGN!

I think we should pass the hat around on the site...

I am very happy to hear this. Walker is one of my favourite players and he has played well for the Titans given his challenges put in front of him.

I thought he was impressive on the weekend and he will only get better with time and confidence. I really want to see a Chris Walker with the Titans in 2008.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Thumbs up Walkers our man

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I am very happy to hear this. Walker is one of my favourite players and he has played well for the Titans given his challenges put in front of him.

I thought he was impressive on the weekend and he will only get better with time and confidence. I really want to see a Chris Walker with the Titans in 2008.
    He had a great game on the weekend, and he has shown a lot of guts to come back from the brink and stay focused on his ultimate goal - First grade. Look forward to calling out his name next year.

"WALKERS ON"

He's been impressive so far. Here's hopeing he re-signs and reaches his enormous potential

Junior Titan

It would be a shame if he has to go elsewhere after what the club has done for him, but he can't be expected to play for "peanuts" either, especially with a baby on the way.
    Hopefuly some cash willl be found or some sponsorship dollars to make up a fair deal.
    He made a huge difference at fullback on Sunday, Id like to see him there again next year.

I would love for Walks to sign on next year. He has had so much bad luck this year. He deserves the real chance. I would love to see him have a stella year for us next year. Each time he has played for us this year, he has played well.

TITAN FOR LIFE
    Dee

ESL is probably the Titans biggest threat to losing Walker.
    The NRL contract minimum is $56k so that plus incentives could still make it worth his while to stick around.

I don't think many NRL clubs would be interested, I think the Titans represent probably his last NRL chance.

The ESL is another question and would be a contender, although I think Chris would like to stay in Queensland, on the Coast with his family, in the familar and supportive environment that is the Titans.

Let's all cross our fingers, the fans have certainly embraced him and he is much loved by our legion of fans.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Oh please let chris stay hes awesome,also if he leaves ill have to change my avatar and i dont want to! Walkers on{and staying on}

He's a crowd favourite, I really hope he stays with us.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    He's a crowd favourite, I really hope he stays with us.
    I agree, I think he really is a crowd favourite with Titans fans.

I think I heard one of the announcers during this game say that Chris Walker has resigned for next year? Anyone?