Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    How can you say it was working perfectly? The only reason we won 2 weeks ago was because of the brilliance of Inglis and Gasnier in the final 3 minutes of the game. Hornby had an off night, I'll admit it, but so did the rest of the team. And that, combined with the fact that GB played better than I have seen them play i a long time, meant that we were never a hope of winning IMO.
    Yes but Thurston took alot of reasonably difficult shots for goal...and thats where i say he is much more versatile player. Plus he just seems to bring an element to his play,and ultimately the game, than Hornby does, so all round I feel he is a better selection.

Good win by GB....

But as has been said, if we had the full-strength side, we could have won. Thursto should have definately been in the side with Hornby on the bench. Wasn't Hornby's best game IMO. He is more a fullback than halfback. Hodges also should have been somewhere in the 17.
    Hopefully Willie behaves himself a bit better at Suncorp, very poor discipline. He didn't seem like he was focussed fully on the game, more focussed on targeting guys like Fielden. He was also GIFTED a try but dropped the ball...DUMMY! :whatd:
    Lockyer and Inglis were by far our best.
    Sean Long was the best for GB tonight, and Gareth Raynor deserved the last try, he was great for them in attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    We lost because we were ill-disciplined, we made simple mistakes, and GB played awesome.
    I really Don't think either team played awesome! It wasn't a fast game at all and lacked a lot of the flare that we've been accustomed to lately. It could have gone either way, but because of Australia's 'ill-disciplined' side, it went to GB. A message to Ricky Stuart...learn by your mistakes. Players like Thurston, Matt King, and Justin Hodges do not need 'rests'. Ricky Stuart and the rest of the selectors were asking for a beating! I'm going down to Suncorp in 2 weeks time and i better be seeing those 3 players back on the field!

GO THE MAROONS!

I simply can't blive we won, im chuffed!
    Mason is a git... he may have slowed fielden down for the game but he didnt count on wakin Jamie Pea****.... gave him a few good shots after he punched fielden!
    Though sean long was awesome and Ellis was a packhorse as usual!

Who got man of the match? IMO Sean Long deserved it though i'm not sure how on earth he missed that free kick conversion and the field goal attempt! They were basically directly in front of the dot! The commentators said he was the English Super League's best goal kicker this year or last year, didn't hear which one.

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    Who got man of the match? IMO Sean Long deserved it though i'm not sure how on earth he missed that free kick conversion and the field goal attempt! They were basically directly in front of the dot! The commentators said he was the English Super League's best goal kicker this year or last year, didn't hear which one.
    yeh was him who got it

Quote Originally Posted by when0in0rome
    I simply can't blive we won, im chuffed!
    Mason is a git... he may have slowed fielden down for the game but he didnt count on wakin Jamie Pea****.... gave him a few good shots after he punched fielden!
    Though sean long was awesome and Ellis was a packhorse as usual!
    Congrats to GB...To play as well as they did tonight after last weeks performance is a great effort. Sean Long was awesome!

Australia were ordinary at best. Thurston should be brought back for Hornby, and either Berrigan or Hornby should get the bench utility spot. What was ricky thinking, putting hornby at fullback? Also Phil Gould commentating origin looks fairly balanced compared to Gould commentating a test match

lyon didnt get the ball as much and if he did, GB wont give him a chance to do what ever he does because lyon was a threat to GB, like how the broncos didnt let inglis do much in the grand final,
    everytime lyon was gona offload to tate there would be a Gb to intercept..

It was a good game and im glad GB win i wana see them play in full confidence

Good luck australia in next game.. i wuld put lyon on bench and hodges back in, or lyon out until next year

I had an itch that pomms would win & put money on them now im a rich man I just hope that itch dosen't turn into a rash

Titan Club Captain

I wanted GB to win, even though I knew it would make it harder for us to get to the finals. *sigh*

Junior Titan Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan's Avatar

I think we'll be seeing Johnathan Thurston coming back next game! (WOOHOO! CHAMPION) however I think that Ben Hornby should come off the bench ALONG WITH Shaun Berrigan and then have Sam Thaiday and Willie Mason keeping with the same forward pack, but moving Willie to the bench and moving Andrew Ryan back onto the team, but in a starting second row position this time.

GO COWBOYS, TITANS, BUNNIES AND MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    I wanted GB to win, even though I knew it would make it harder for us to get to the finals. *sigh*
    At least it will put a bit more suspense/tension into the remaining games!

GO THE MAROONS!

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    At least it will put a bit more suspense/tension into the remaining games!
    I don't want that thought lol.
    I don't need anymore tension and suspense!! theres already enough in NZ league atm!!

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    I don't want that thought lol.
    I don't need anymore tension and suspense!! theres already enough in NZ league atm!!
    haha, yea true. but it'll make it a bit more interesting for us aussie's :lol!:

GO THE MAROONS!

Insurance policy or arrogance

By Dean Ritchie

November 06, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

DEBATE raged last night over whether or not coach Ricky Stuart made a blunder by employing a controversial rotation policy for his Kangaroos side in Saturday night's horror Tri-Nations loss to Great Britain in Sydney.

Stuart used Ben Hornby and Jamie Lyon during the 23-12 loss to Great Britain ? omitting uninjured players Matt King and Johnathan Thurston.

After the match ? which was Great Britain's first victory on Australia soil since 1992 ? Stuart defended his rotation system, saying all players needed match fitness before the Tri-Nations final.

He described it as an "insurance policy".

However, during Channel 9's telecast of the match, commentator Phil Gould questioned Australia's rotation policy ? and particularly Hornby's selection at halfback ahead of Thurston.

Others supported Stuart's stance, with former representative forward Trevor Gillmeister declaring: "If Ricky loses three or four players through injury, he has to suddenly throw in players that haven't played for three months."

The fallout comes as North Queensland coach Graham Murray called for the immediate return of Thurston at halfback.

Stuart was not talking to the media yesterday but former Test and NSW hooker Benny Elias slammed any rotation process.

"I hate it ? it's absolutely ridiculous," Elias said. "You have to play your best side in every Test and not take a risk.

"You have to treat every Test as though it could be your last.

"We paid a big penalty on Saturday night."

But Stuart found allies in Gillmeister and former Australian five-eighth Matthew Johns.

"You've almost got to do it," Johns said.

"Say Ricky decides to go with Mark Gasnier and Justin Hodges and then Gasnier gets injured, Ricky is then faced with Jamie Lyon who hasn't played for five weeks."

Gillmeister added: "I can see where Ricky is coming from. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"They say it cheapens the jumper but any of those players deserve to represent Australia."

Former Test forward Paul Sironen said he can "live with the rotation policy".

"Ricky experimented with Ben Hornby and it probably wasn't the success he had hoped for," he said.

"But the guys in the squad deserve a shot and we were a couple of wins ahead of the other sides."

At the post-match press conference, Stuart gave reasons why he named Hornby and Lyon.

"I've got no regrets whatsoever. I'd do it again," he said.

"I had to have a look at some players. I had to have a look at some combinations and I'm playing to win the series.

"It's like taking out insurance. I had to give some people football because if there is an injury the person who comes in and fills that player's spot has got some football under his belt."

Andrew Johns entered the debate by saying: "Ricky tried something but maybe it didn't work."

Murray called for Thurston's inclusion for the Gr

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"