Tri-Nations 2006: Game Four

AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS vs GREAT BRITAIN LIONS
    Saturday 4th November, 8:00 PM; Aussie Stadium

Referee: TBA

Team Notes:

Kangaroos

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 2 Losses: 0; Points For: 50 Points Against: 33

Last Tri-Nations Result: defeated Kiwis 20-15

Jamie Lyon will end a three-year exile after being named among five changes to the starting Australian team for Saturday's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain.

Lyon takes over in the centres from Justin Hodges, utility back Ben Hornby replaces a resting Johnathan Thurston at halfback and Brent Tate takes over from Matt King on a wing.

In the forwards, barnstorming second rower Willie Mason returns after sitting out game two against the Kiwis in Melbourne on October 21 because of concussion and Shaun Berrigan swaps his bench spot to replace Cameron Smith at hooker.

Antonio Kaufusi has been ruled out of the Australian team for Saturday night's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain with a minor hamstring strain. He has been replaced by Sam Thaiday.

Lions

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 0 Losses: 1; Points For: 14 Points Against: 18

Last Tri-Nations Result: lost 18-14 to the kiwis

Great Britain five eighth Danny McGuire has been ruled out of tomorrow night's Tri-Nations Test with Australia after failing to recover from a thigh injury.

He will be replaced at pivot by Leon Pryce, who comes in off the wing, with Gareth Raynor moving from the bench to to take Pryce's position out wide.

KANGAROOS
    Karmichael Hunt
    Brent Tate
    Mark Gasnier
    Jamie Lyon
    Greg Inglis
    Darren Lockyer (capt)
    Ben Hornby
    Mark O'Meley
    Shaun Berrigan
    Petero Civoniceva
    Willie Mason
    Nathan Hindmarsh
    Luke O'Donnell
    Interchange:
    Cameron Smith
    Anthony Tupou
    Brent Kite
    Sam Thaiday (For Antonio Kaufusi)

LIONS
    1. Paul Wellens
    2. Brian Carney
    3. Keith Senior
    4. Kirk Yeaman
    5. Gareth Raynor
    6. Leon Pryce (For Danny McGuire)
    7. Sean Long
    8. Stuart Fielden
    9. Terry Newton
    10. Jamie Pea**** (c)
    11. Gareth Ellis
    12. Gareth Hock
    13. Sean O'Loughlin
    Interchange:
    14. James Roby
    15. Adrian Morley
    16. Lee Gilmour
    17. Jon Wilkin

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations Game Four information and game day spoilers***
    Last edited by Queenslander; 03-11-06 at 04:25 PM.

Morley free to play Australia
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:29 AM

British enforcer Adrian Morley is free to play Australia in Saturday's Tri-Nations clash in Sydney.

The former Rooster has been cleared of two incidents of alleged foul play in a fiery rugby league Test against New Zealand on Saturday night in Christchurch.

Morley had been placed on report for a jolting hit on Kiwi skipper Ruben Wiki and New Zealand management also laid a complaint after he later punched Brent Webb in the head in the match won by New Zealand 18-14.

Morley was found to have no case to answer after a three-member panel reviewed video footage of the incidents.

Source: AAP

************************************************** ****************************

Thurston on outer

Johnathan Thurston looks set to be dumped from the Test halfback position and be replaced by Ben Hornby for the Kangaroos' Tri-Nations clash against Great Britain in Sydney on Saturday night.

Australia was lucky in coming from behind to defeat New Zealand 20-15 in its Tri-Nations match last week, where the Kangaroo's backline lacked continuity.

Coach Ricky Stuart said his first priority ahead of the clash against Great Britain was to fix Australia's attack, and replacing Thurston with Hornby is the first step in that direction.

"I'm going to give Ben an opportunity to play at halfback," Stuart told The Sunday Mail.

"It comes through his attitude in training. It's an opportunity for Ben to display why he was selected in the Australian team."

"He's a terrific guy who displays a lot of attention to detail in his preparation and the way he applied himself to the Junior Kangaroos last week was a credit to himself."

Thurston was one of Australia's best in the 30-18 win over the Kiwis to open the tournament a fortnight ago, but the 23-year-old struggled along with many of his team-mates in the second Tri-Nations match.

"You don't want to give up but if the coach wants that to happen then it's going to happen," Thurston said.

"I want to keep the No.7 jersey as long as I can but if I have to give it up for Benny (Hornby) then I will."

"It's up to the coach to decide but I still want to play."

Injured Prop Willie Mason looks set to resume against Great Britain after missing last weeks clash against the Kiwis due to concussion.

Centre Matt King has a corked thigh, and Mark O'Meley has a knee problem but both players look set to be fit for the match.

Source: Sportal
    Last edited by Queenslander; 30-10-06 at 11:31 AM.

New Roo targets final place

October 30, 2006 NEW Australia halfback Ben Hornby said this morning he is keen to make the most of his starting berth in Saturday's Tri-Nations Test with Great Britain at Aussie Stadium.

The St George Illawarra utility will replace Johnathan Thurston in the No.7 this weekend with the Cowboys halfback being rested.

Hornby admits the game is his chance to stake a claim for the Kangaroos halfback spot, and push for selection in the starting side for next month's Tri-Nations final.

"If I go out there and play well it's going to make it a bit harder (to choose the halfback)," said Hornby.

"It's a huge honour, it's something I'm very proud to be able to do. Hopefully I can go out there and equip (sic) myself well.

"I was a little bit surprised, I thought at the start of the series I'd get a game somewhere ... I've got my chance now and I want to go out there play well."

AAP

i wonder what position jamie lyon will be in

Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    i wonder what position jamie lyon will be in
    As a professional spectator on the sidelines :lol!:
    I think he is going to play centre but then again there are rumors lockyer might be rested aswell.

Kangaroos Vs Lions Preview
    Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:01 PM

The Kangaroos will take on the touring Lions in game 4 of the Tri-Nations on Saturday night, and if they are to have any chance in that game then the tourists would need to improve markedly on what they showed the Rugby league world against the Kiwis in Christchurch.

Great Britain produced a scrappy display for the most part of the match and despite enjoying some good field position they consistently broke down inside the Kiwis defensive 20m, a problem that will need to be rectified if they are to trouble the Kangaroos on Satturday night.

Furthermore the Lions looked as if they were trying to use many elaborate attacking plays using decoy runners over and over again, but the ploy seemed to backfire leaving their attack looking messy; and if they are to match the Aussies it certainly will not be out wide, but up the middle where their tough and mobile forward pack led by Morley, Pea**** and Fielden can look to play at their aggressive best.

After their substandard loss last week you can expect some early fire from the British team, and it would not shock anyone to once again see Adrian Morley in the thick of the early action, and despite landing himself in trouble with the referee and New Zealand coach Brian McClennan for his ?cat slap? on Brent Webb, you can bet that he will not be deterred from playing his normal hard game.

The British are here to play and they will not be happy having to make excuses again so the Kangaroos should be expecting a much more fluent showing from the old enemy, and while they will still look to go wide in attack, their ball security will become a key factor in this game, and they will not chance the risky offload as much as they did against the Kiwis.

The Australian team will look to once again play an aggressive style of game with the forwards laying the platform, and the halves in Lockyer and Hornby looking to spread the ball wide at the end of the set, giving the likes of Inglis and Hunt the chance to dazzle the Lions with their lightning pace and brilliant footwork.

The battle up front will be the key, and with the Bulldogs represented with both Willie Mason and Mark O?Meley, you can expect fireworks when they clash with Adrian Morley, especially seen the last time they clashed Morley was sent off by Jarred Maxwell for kneeing their teammate Corey Hughes.

Key Match Ups

Willie Mason Vs Adrian Morley

Two of the hardest men in the game will square up and there should be plenty of early aggression between them. Both Muz and Big Willie like to play it tough and love to leave their opponents lying in their wake. They are both equally proud of their nationality and for their team to do well they need to perform

Ben Hornby Vs Sean Long

Hornby will be playing his first test, while Long has played many. Long?s ability to kick long and accurately as well as his ability to jink and step are brilliant, but Hornby is a running halfback, who can create problems for opposition defences with his swift movement. Long needs to dominate if the Lions are to have a chance.

Best Bet:

Head to Head the Kangaroos will be unbackable favourites so the best option may be to back the Lions with the start, if that start is overly generous, as it may well be.

Source: NRL

Lions aware of Inglis brilliance: Noble
    Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:16 PM

Great Britain coach Brian Noble says his side will be well prepared to try and curb the brilliance of young Australian stars Greg Inglis and Karmichael Hunt in Saturday's Tri-Nations clash at Aussie Stadium.

The Lions held their first training session on Australian soil on Monday morning after opening their Tri-Nations campaign with an 18-14 loss to New Zealand in Christchurch.

While yet to face the likes of Inglis or Hunt in an international, Noble said his side was well aware of their talent.

"We've seen plenty of them, we get two live games every weekend, and I get vision from other games, so the coaching staff are pretty aware of their special talents and how good they are," Noble said.

"But we think we've got players who can play as well, and whilst we weren't quite fluent as we would have liked (against New Zealand), I'm sure we've got plenty of improvement in us.

"You've got to score some points, you can't just attempt to do some damage limitation."

Noble admitted former Super League Man of Steel Jamie Lyon, who is expected to play for Australia this weekend, would be a major threat.

"Jamie's a super player.. he's a threat, but you've got to also watch the other 16 in green and gold as well."

Hornby Excited by Kangaroos Call Up
    Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:50 AM

New Kangaroos halfback Ben Hornby is looking to make the most of the opportunity and push regular half Johnathan Thurston for a spot in the team to contest the final.

Ricky Stuart made the move to not only give Thurston a rest, but also to see how the Dragons utility will fit into the halves alongside captain Darren Lockyer, and Hornby believes he is ready for the challenge.

?It?s a huge honour and something that I am very proud of, and hopefully I can go out there and acquit myself well.

I thought that I would get a game somewhere in the series and now that I have got that chance I would like to make the most of it and play well?.

Hornby has had plenty of time to absorb the news that he would be playing in this test as Ricky Stuart informed him before they broke from camp after the last game. This has also given Hornby time to think about how he will fit in as Lockyer?s new partner.

?When he (Lockyer) wants the ball I?ll be giving it to him, I have had Trent Barrett here at the Dragons for a long time, so I think that I am used to having a high profile player in the team, so I think that might help. The rest of the time though I will have to take the responsibility and guide the team around the park?.

Hornby?s selection as the Kangaroos halfback is the strongest pointer yet that he is considered a half more than a fullback, and he is slowly warming to the prospect, and believes he can give the team something different than Thurston, who is more of a traditional halfback.

?I think my future does lie in the halves. I don?t really know what else I can give the team. Hopefully I think that I run the ball a little bit more than Johno, and that might have an impact on the game?.

While Hornby wants to make an impact on his debut, he is aware that the Lions halves are more than capable of doing the same, and is expecting a strong performance from them.

?Sean Long has been a good player for a while and McGuire is exciting at five eighth, so it should be a good tussle on Saturday night?.

Lyon set to return for Kangaroos
    Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:38 PM

Jamie Lyon is poised to end his three-year exile from the Australian team with the Manly-bound NRL centre heavily tipped to be named for the Kangaroos on Tuesday.

The former St Helens centre, who has spent the past two years in England after walking out of Parramatta early in 2004, is expected to be one of up to four changes to the Australian team for Saturday's Tri-Nations clash with Great Britain.

St George Illawarra utility Ben Hornby has already been confirmed at halfback, replacing a resting Johnathan Thurston.

Barnstorming forward Willie Mason is fit to return after sitting out game two of the series against New Zealand with concussion.

While Brisbane centre Brent Tate is also a possible inclusion as coach Ricky Stuart looks to get the most out of his 23-man squad after making a fast start to the tournament with back-to-back wins over the Kiwis.

Lyon's likely inclusion, though, will be the most talked about, despite the man himself keeping quiet on Monday, knocking back interview requests until he had 100 per cent confirmation he would be playing.

The British camp, however, was more forthcoming.

"He's a super player, he's got good speed, he gets on your outside, so we have to be very wary of what Jamie can do," said Lions coach Brian Noble.

"We probably know a little bit more about him... than we do about the other Australians, because he's been over in Super League.

"So yeah, he's a threat."

Lyon quit Parramatta just one game into the 2004 season, citing a dislike for city life.

He joined St Helens in 2005, winning the Super League's best player award last year before capping a highly successful two-year stint with a premiership earlier this month.

The 24-year-old was unavailable for Australia's opening two games of the tournament because of his involvement in the Super League grand final and only joined the Kangaroos squad early last week.

Lyon's original selection sparked plenty of controversy.

Eels great Peter Sterling and former NSW State of Origin coach Phil Gould both launched stinging attacks on Australia's decision to break tradition and pick an England-based player.

Gould labelled Lyon's call-up a "disgrace", while Eels legend Sterling remained "filthy" about the young centre's decision to walk out of Parramatta, adding: I don't want him in the Test side and I don't want him back in the NRL."

Lyon, who last played for Australia in the 2003 Anzac Test, could be named at either lock or on the bench for his sixth national cap.

His inside knowledge on many of the Lions could also be useful for the Kangaroos.

Although the quietly-spoken Lyon is yet to reveal any.

"Killer doesn't say boo," fellow Kangaroo and former Eels clubmate Nathan Hindmarsh said.

"But I'm sure he'll say something, he'll give a few tips for the players that he knows."

************************************************** ********************************

Hindmarsh Predicts Big Forward Clash
    Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:02 PM

While Great Britain may have been unimpressive in a losing effort to the New Zealander?s at the weekend Australain second rower and tackling machine Nathan Hindmarsh is not writing them off, but urging caution ahead of this weekends clash.

?I think they are capable of playing better, especially if they play as a team?.

?The Poms will be better after the hit out last weekend, and I expect them to definitely be better against us on Saturday night. I was impressed with how quick their backs are, and their forwards are big boppers, Muz (Adrian Morley) is still up there with the best I have seen in a while?.

Morley was as always at the centre of the controversy after match, having made a high tackle on Ruben Wiki and punched Kiwi fullback Brent Webb, but Hindmarsh believes that having seen so much of Morley in recent times, that the Aussie pack will be ready for him

?We expect his usual, for him to come out with a few big hits. Adrian?s a tough competitor and we?re used to it?.

Similarly the front row threat posed by the Lions is something that Hindmarsh believes the kangaroos can counter.

?Our whole front row will be ready for a big game, Petero is always ready, and big Mase missed out last week and has missed the last couple of weeks so he will be pumped and ready to get back out there playing some football. Ogre doesn?t mind a good contest either so I think it will be a big clash up front?.

Asked whether he thought they would be well prepared for the Lions based on previous experience Hindmarsh felt the Kangaroos would but noted that there were a few new faces in the Lions squad.

?They don?t only have the same guys as before but there are a lot of new faces as well?.

One player who should be able to shed some light on some of the lesser known Lions players and what they are about is returning centre and Hindmarsh?s former Eels teammate Jamie Lyon, but Hindmarsh thinks that getting the information might be harder than many would think.

?Killer (Lyon) doesn?t say boo, he doesn?t say anything until he goes and lies in bed, but I?m sure he will give us a few tips for the players that he knows?.

Stuart makes five changes for GB Test
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:05 AM

Centre Jamie Lyon will end a three-year exile after being named among five changes to the starting Australian team for Saturday's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain.

With his team unbeaten after its opening two series matches against New Zealand, Australian coach Ricky Stuart has opted to make wide use of his 23-man squad.

Lyon takes over in the centres from Justin Hodges, utility back Ben Hornby replaces a resting Johnathan Thurston at halfback and Brent Tate takes over from Matt King on a wing.

In the forwards, barnstorming second rower Willie Mason returns after sitting out game two against the Kiwis in Melbourne on October 21 because of concussion and Shaun Berrigan swaps his bench spot to replace Cameron Smith at hooker.

Signed to play for Manly in the NRL next season, Lyon has not represented the Kangaroos since 2003 after walking away from the Parramatta club in 2004 and later spending two seasons in England's Super League.

Australian team: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Jamie Lyon, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (capt), Ben Hornby, Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Cameron Smith, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite, Antonio Kaufusi.

I can't believe Cam Smith gets overlooked for #9 and Thaiday gets robbed of a test jumper.

And Hornby.....well...

Kaufusi doesn't belong nor Tupou. I'd also punt Hunt for Inglis.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 31-10-06 at 02:48 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

cool, lyon and inglis on the right :!:

Just heard on the news Kafusi has been ruled out with a strain of somesort and Sam Thaiday replaces him.

thats great for sam thaiday, i wanted him to replace tupou though

Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    thats great for sam thaiday, i wanted him to replace tupou though
    Thiday did have a better game than tupou but Stuart has they loyalty factor to his ex players. Shame for Kafusi though.

By changing our players around and "resting" others is a big slap in the face to GB. They will be strong competition and will probably win on the day against a side with numerous changes.