Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    Chase is extremly gifted so keep an eye out on him who knows Wolfood kmight see a bit of PL action if he dont get his act together as Teegy said there are players that could easily take his spot.
    Very true Grim. I reckon Woolford has to star in the side if he wants to stay in the side. He definately has the experience though.

The only reason I remember Rangi Chase was when he played a match for the Tigers this year and Taniela Tuiaki gifted him that try. Tuiaki could have gone over himself but he gave it to Rangi instead, and let him score... Awww how sweet!

Ryles keen to skipper Dragons

By Dean Ritchie

November 14, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

ST GEORGE Illawarra ushered in a new era yesterday when the club returned to full-time training for 2007.

Missing were long-serving Dragons champions Trent Barrett, Luke Bailey and Shaun Timmins ? the trio having played a combined total of 397 games for the joint-venture club.

But Barrett has now joined Wigan and Bailey the Gold Coast, while Timmins has retired.

St George Illawarra took to the training field yesterday at University of Wollongong where players completed speed and power work, ball work and had a swim.

"We had our first get-together at an orientation day last week and it was really different without those blokes being there," said Dragons prop Jason Ryles. "They had three of the stronger personalities in the club ? they were always having a laugh.

"There were plenty of new faces around now and a lot of young kids."

Ryles said he would be honoured if named Dragons captain for next season in place of Barrett.

Coach Nathan Brown is considering rotating the captaincy among three or four of his senior players.

"If they asked me to do it, I'd certainly say yes," Ryles said. "It would be huge when you look at the players who have done it previously. But having said that, if I don't get it, it won't be a drama.

"I'd like to think I'll take a more senior role next year. I'm now one of the older blokes in the club."

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

rlyes as captain, i guess i could see that, never really gave it much thought though.

Junior Titan

Lucky the Sharks have signed such terrible players and such a poor coach, otherwise the Dragons might have a chance at coming 16th.
    Smooth as silk

Quote Originally Posted by wesseristilllovethee
    Lucky the Sharks have signed such terrible players and such a poor coach, otherwise the Dragons might have a chance at coming 16th.

i think they will struggle aswell, as far as the capt goes, there is one choice Hornby ! :rotflmao:

Home ? Sport ? League ? Article
    Experience in deep water leaves Gasnier ready for the helm
    www.smh.com.au
    Brad Walter
    November 24, 2006

WHEN Dragons winger Wes Naiqama this week found himself under investigation for allegedly driving while disqualified, he spoke to Mark Gasnier.

Just three years after being sacked from the NSW Origin side and fined $50,000 by St George-Illawarra for his own off-field misdemeanour, Gasnier is considered a team leader at club and Test level.

Under consideration from Dragons coach Nathan Brown to take over the vacant captain's reins next season, Gasnier is one of the most senior players in the Australian team to play New Zealand in tomorrow night's Tri-Nations final after making his debut on the 2001 Kangaroos tour alongside Petero Civoniceva.

With only skipper Darren Lockyer and Nathan Hindmarsh having been in the Test team longer, Gasnier, Civoniceva and prop Willie Mason have been installed into the senior players' group this season by coach Ricky Stuart and it is a role the 25-year-old centre is relishing.

"Ricky has probably put a bit of the onus on the senior players and I guess it is something that Nathan probably made me a bit more aware of about a year and a half ago," Gasnier said. "He felt that I needed to take on more of a leadership role and the last couple of years have taught me a lot.

"I think every person has to go through something bad to make them more aware of things. When you speak to kids who are having any troubles in any way, either on or off the field, you can talk to them from experience and help them out. You've only got to look at Wes now, everyone needs help and he is obviously going through a rough patch at the moment."

Naiqama last night was granted conditional bail to appear at Waverley Local Court on December 12 after being charged with his fourth driving offence, and Gasnier said he would speak to him after the Tri-Nations decider at Aussie Stadium.

If the 24-year-old Fiji star escapes the sack from the Dragons, Gasnier may be his captain as well as five-eighth.

Also in contention are Ben Hornby and Jason Ryles, and Brown is also considering appointing the trio as co-captains.

"I have thought a bit about it, but ultimately it's up to Nathan," said Gasnier, who regularly captained St George junior teams before his rapid elevation to the NRL as a 19-year-old. "I've spoken to Brownie a little bit about next year, obviously with the positional change and that, but most of my focus has been on the Tri-Nations.

"I'm sure that if you asked each of the guys, they'd all like to be captain so whether Nathan chooses one or all three of us, I'm sure we'd all relish the role and really enjoy it ? I don't think I would have been ready for it 24 months ago but the last two years have ? taught me a lot.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titan First Grade Regular

And So He Should!!!
    [