Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Penrith get with the program

Penrith get with the program
    By Dean Ritchie
    October 21, 2006 12:00

NEW Penrith coach Matt Elliott has already designed and sent out his team's new training programs - and the players are impressed.

"I've just looked at some of our programs - they look completely different to last year," said Panthers halfback Craig Gower.

"I'm sure that will be a good thing for us.

"I haven't had too much to do with Matt but he'll bring some new and fresh ideas to the club."

Elliott this week attended a three-day course with Penrith management ? his first assignment as Panthers coach.

The former Raiders coach would not be drawn into predicting how far he could take Penrith next season.

"I really don't want to start measuring what we can do," Elliott said last night.

"My expectations are high but I want to get a feel about the expectations of the players. I want their feedback. A new coaching regime takes time."

Elliott agreed though he has the playing roster to make a genuine impact in 2007.

"Yeah mate. I am very fortunate to have inherited such a healthy playing roster, particularly at a club like Penrith with such a good culture," Elliott said.

"I like to get stimulated by a new challenge.

"There are still a few question marks though like replacing Preston Campbell.

"But it's really exciting. The whole thing has been a positive experience. Penrith has been very helpful. Any requests I have made for assistance, the constant answer has been yes. I have felt very welcomed."

Gower said he was looking forward to working with Elliott.

"Everyone I have spoken to are looking forward to getting back to training," Gower said.

"Matt did a great job at Canberra this year, getting them into the finals.

"He had them playing consistently in a team which was supposed to have had limited playing talent."

The Panthers, like many clubs, will commence pre-season training on November 6.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Junior Titan

sounds like he's already doing good things for the club
    "Go the Titans"

It will be interesting to see how Penrith go with a new coach next season. He seemed to do a good job at Canberra.
    -92-93-97-98-00-06-

If he can get the Penrith big names to fire like he did the Raiders no names, it'll be another minor premiership and gf win.

Johnny Lang is a great coach, but I felt there was a reluctance to drop players who weren't in form. Hopefully the change will give the players a new incentive, and who knows what greats are going to come out of the Cougars.

This is great news for penrith as they could become the dark ho**** to make the top 8.
    The one thing Matt Elliot did at canberra was get the players to give it their all everyweek. Hopefully for penrith he can get them to do the same everyweek.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

"He had them playing consistently"

Something missing from Penrith the last two years... :yell:

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    "He had them playing consistently"

Something missing from Penrith the last two years... :yell:

agree 100%, consistently all game would be good enough for me ! they play hot and cold in an 80min period so to be consistent all season would mean top 4 !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    If he can get the Penrith big names to fire like he did the Raiders no names, it'll be another minor premiership and gf win.

Johnny Lang is a great coach, but I felt there was a reluctance to drop players who weren't in form. Hopefully the change will give the players a new incentive, and who knows what greats are going to come out of the Cougars.

Langy was a verry loyal man to alot of the boys from 03, but did bring through those boys only 3 years ago, Clinton, Ross, Waterhouse, Lewis, Rooney, and Wesser, just to name a few, but IMO i think Langy would have retired anyway, the way it was done ?????????????? but it was going to be done anyways.

Titan One Clubman

We played consistently?

In the space of a week we went from smashing the Dragons to getting belted by Souths!! Then there was the time we amost blew a 26-0 half time lead againts the sharks, only Luke Covell saved us there

We also had the great idea of playing expansive footy and pushing oasses in monsoon like conditions againts the dogs in the final..

Personally i think his achievements have been blwon a bit out of proportion due tho the misconception about our playing roster by the Sydney Media..

Anyway time will tell, I wish him all the best at Penrith...

Titan First Grade Squad

good to hear that they may finally be back on track after a couple of disappointing years after there premiership victory.

Junior Titan

Who to have at 5 8? Trindall is out for drugs and is terrible anyway, Wallace has been good but had an interrupted season due to an injury or two. Lewis played well at 5 8 in a couple of games but is needed in the centres.

I think the best answer would be Brett Firman.
    Smooth as silk

Lewis won't be at 5/8 unless injury hits, Wallace will get first crack i think, if he stays fit he'll be in the 6 for the season, Luke is not a 6, so can that idea. and i don't think Firman is the answer, he's a 7 telling everyone he can play stand off in order to get the job ? would be back up but thats it, $50k, would be my offer.

Lewis is an option. A good one I feel. We have some impressive centres/wings in the lower grades that could stand up and take his spot if he's moved to 5/8.
    Wallace is another option. Probably the most obvious.
    And there's Peters and also Aiton.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcastle Panther
    Lewis is an option. A good one I feel. We have some impressive centres/wings in the lower grades that could stand up and take his spot if he's moved to 5/8.
    Wallace is another option. Probably the most obvious.
    And there's Peters and also Aiton.

fellow Panther, every time i have watched Luke in the 6 he gets lost, his strength is his straight running, if there is nothing infront of him he's great but if he has to make a decision on the run, he seems to get lost, don't get me wrong i love the guy, a world class winger, a great center, and a fill in at best at 5/8. Aiton is a hooker, he has been great for us off the bench, i think he should stay there as a weapon off the bench untill Priddo hangs up the boots. have a look at Flash Gordons profile in the Panthers site, Center and 5/8, ?????????????

1 Wesser, 2 Gordon, 3 Lewis, 4 Jennings, 5 Rooney, 6 Wallace, 7 Gowie, 8 Clinton, 9 Priddo, 10 Cross, 11 House, 12 T, 13 Rodney, 14 Aiton, 15 Prichard, 16 ? 17 Moke

I've only seen him play possibly three games where Luke was 5/8. The last game he was man of the match. He didnt do anything spectacular, but he did what he had to do for the win. I think given the opportunity he can bloom as 5/8 and as good a player as he is, he should be given the opportunity.
    That leaves his centre spot open for a debut from some of the great lower graders - Jennings, Daniela and Summut.
    I think Gordon is great where he is on the wing, he's dynamite.