Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thurston in fight to lead cowboys

Thurston in fight to lead Cowboys
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Thurston in fight to lead Cowboys

By David Riccio

October 15, 2006 NORTH Queensland and Australia halfback Johnathan Thurston is no certainty to be named Cowboys captain next season, despite his return to the Test arena last night.

Thurston has long been regarded as a natural successor to recently retired Cowboys skipper Travis Norton.

But Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said the star halfback wasn't guaranteed the club captaincy.

"Johnathan is certainly in the running but it's by no means cut and dried," Parr said.

"There are a few other players we think have leadership qualities."

Parr confirmed that Luke O'Donnell, Paul Bowman, Aaron Payne and off-season signing Jason Smith were all under consideration. A decision will be made in February.

"It's not something we're prepared to rush into," Parr said.

"I've spoken to (Cowboys coach) Graham Murray about looking at the position after the pre-season.

"It's a huge honour that has to be earnt and I would suggest that the player who does take over will have big shoes to fill.

"Travis was an outstanding leader on and off the field."

Thurston, who overcame an injury-plagued season to win the Kangaroos' coveted No7 jersey, said being Cowboys captain was something he aspired to.

"It would be a huge honour," Thurston said.

"I was vice-captain for this year and I thought I worked really well with Trav.

"I think playing under (Darren Lockyer) in Origin was a stepping stone for me.

"I would love to lead the Cowboys out but the club hasn't said anything yet, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Parr said former Raiders veteran Smith was in contention for the role despite his recent arrival at the club.

"We're a very young side and Jason provides a wealth of experience," Parr said.

"Because he is new to the club, we would like to see how comfortable hefeels before making any decisions likethat.

"Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses but how many players have played more than 200 NRL games like Jason Smith?"

thurston deserves to lead the cows.
    hed be a good captain to lead the team around as a halfback too

It would be silly to consider Jason Smith as captain of the Cowboys. The club needs to think long term.

Thurston should be the one and only choice IMO with deputy going to Matty Bowen or Paul Bowman

thats if bowman can play. last i heard on his neck injury he was in doubt of ever playing again

Yeah gotta agree with Queenslander that it should be Thurston for the longevity. Smith will be a respected leader without the C next to his name.

I reckon either Thursto or Lukey will make a great captain... both are very loyal to the club and will be there long term and becoming long serving members hopefully and will do the club proud...

Thurston, O'donnell or Payne, all long term leaders........gotta be one of them

yeh i think payne thurston or bowen.
    bowen has served there longer than odonnell and i think would do a decent job

Thurston would lead the cowboys really well and for long term. Matt Bowen would also make for a great captain. But then again theres Luke Odnonnell. He's an awesome player that would make for a great captain. But if it was up to me, i cant go past thurston.

GO THE MAROONS!

id say payne would be a good vc as thurston will miss games for origin

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    It would be silly to consider Jason Smith as captain of the Cowboys. The club needs to think long term.

Thurston should be the one and only choice IMO with deputy going to Matty Bowen or Paul Bowman
    i totally agree with you there in saying they need to look to the future. I think Jono would be a great captain
    "Go the Titans"

Thurston is there best player, his drama is not his talent, it is his off field dramas, i don't think ALL of his teammates respect him, the Wayne Carey thing whilst rejected by him and the club, well, where thers smoke ?????? and the fact they didn't have a trip away together, they all elected to go there seperate ways, all is not well in the background at the Cows, therefore Jason Smith would be the perfect capt, he has not been part of anything that has gone on at the club before this, he has the respect of just about every one in the NRL, and as i have said before Jason will only be a good signing if the Cows can keep him as an assistant to Murray.

smith would be an ok captain but like queenslander said it needs to be longterm . paul bowman wouldnt be captain cause bowman gave up the captaincy in 2004 when norton went to the cowboys.
    i agree thurston should be captain.

I think Jason Smith will be a great leader for the club. My concern with making him captain is that he's only likely to play around 50 minutes a game and I think it's best that the captain is on the field for all or most of the game.

I'm tipping Thurston & O'Donnell for the captaincy roles with Payne as the back up.

The whole captaincy things is now being shafted for a leadership group.

Which is a great idea as its no only your responsibility but the group of leaders. It woked for the storm, The swans and a few other clubs.
    So why not give it a go great thing is if you dont like you can appoint someone as captain.
    Much better idea than Dropping a captain halfway through the season

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Titan
    I'm tipping Thurston & O'Donnell for the captaincy roles with Payne as the back up.
    I totally agree. Either of Thurston or O'donnell would be a real leader on the field. this would leave Payne as captain when Origin comes around.

GO THE MAROONS!