• No

11 18.97%
  • Maybe

3 5.17%
  • Undecided

4 6.90%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Banned

How long is this taking whats happening?

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    Up yours Jeff Wall!! eace:
    lol
    "Go the Titans"

is he the real deal?

Mike Colman
    October 19, 2006 12:00am
    Article from: The Courier-Mail

VIABLE option or publicity stunt? That's the question being asked by sceptics after former All Black Jonah Lomu met with the Gold Coast Titans on Monday.
    Unwanted by any of the five New Zealand Super 14 franchises and mainly a bench-warmer for North Harbour in the recent National Provincial Championships, Lomu has made a courageous return to rugby after a kidney transplant, but could he make it in rugby league?

Former Wallaby Tim Horan, who spoke with Lomu during the last Tri-Nations series said the giant winger was very serious in his bid to return to top-level sport.

"He wants to play at the highest level he can," he said.

"He'd be disappointed that it can't be with the All Blacks, but if it is with the Titans he'll give it everything he's got. He's a very competitive man.

"I think he would need some time to get used to rugby league. My only concern would be getting up and back the 10m. He wouldn't be used to that. He's not a lazy player, but he's an explosive player. His strength is going forward. That's why I think he could make it. You look at the way Justin Hodges or Karmichael Hunt run the ball out from their own line. That would suit Jonah down to the ground.

"He'd get a lot more ball in league than he would on the wing in union. It might be just what he needs to get himself into form."

Former All Black coach John Mitchell, now with the Western Force in Perth, said Lomu would not be motivated by money.

"Commercially he doesn't have to play," he said. "The fact that he is even considering going to the Gold Coast just shows his real passion for football.

"Rugby has changed over the past few years. There are some very agile wingers who roam from one sideline to the other. That's not really Jonah's strength.

"I don't know much about rugby league but I do know they run straighter lines and that could suit him."

Auckland Blues coach David Nucifora said Lomu received very little game time during the NPC and ended the season in North Harbour's second team, costing him any chance of picking up a Super 14 contract.

"I think he is struggling a bit with the pace of the game," he said. "He needs a fair bit of football to get back his fitness and also to get his head into the game. In saying that, he did a great job at North Harbour.

"He is very motivated and very professional. I know he was a great role model for some of their younger players.

"Just to get back where he is after what he has been through is incredible.

"Making it in league would be a challenge but I would never say he couldn't do it. It would take time to get used to getting up off the deck and back 10m but he is still an awesome sight with a full head of steam. He'd take a fair bit of pulling down."

Lomu deal close

Karl deKroo
    October 18, 2006 12:00am
    Article from: Herald-Sun

ALL BLACKS rugby union legend Jonah Lomu is a step closer to playing in the NRL next season after impressing the Gold Coast Titans at a medical yesterday.
    The Titans formally offered the 31-year-old a one-year incentive-based deal after a meeting at the club's head office.

The 125kg winger told club officials he was "100 per cent" fit enough to play league.
    Last edited by grimmace; 19-10-06 at 09:14 AM.

So The AGE reckons we have made a formal offer? I actually hope so, I'd be delighted to see Lomu a Titan. Wouldn't that be surreal.

As i having an NRL club to follow wasn't a bit enough treat as it is.

Hope we get him in blue, gold and white.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    So The AGE reckons we have made a formal offer? I actually hope so, I'd be delighted to see Lomu a Titan. Wouldn't that be surreal.

As i having an NRL club to follow wasn't a bit enough treat as it is.

Hope we get him in blue, gold and white.
    Yeah looks like it but i forgot to add an article here it is :

Jonah's business dealings

Steve Ricketts
    Article from: The Courier-Mail

JONAH Lomu's world-wide endorsements could be the biggest impediment to the former All Blacks star signing a one-year deal to play with NRL newcomers Gold Coast Titans.
    After a whirlwind day on the Gold Coast, where Lomu and his wife Fiona were wined and dined and taken on a helicopter flight over Surfers Paradise, the Titans expressed their confidence in his motives.

But managing director Michael Searle said it would take seven to 10 days to sort through every aspect of a deal which falls well short of the money Lomu has been used to commanding in rugby union.

"Jonah's got a lot of commercial things he has to consider," Searle said.

"He's a business in himself and it (a switch of codes) is going to impact potentially on some of the deals he's got world-wide so he's got to make that call.

"But I feel more confident he's coming for the right reasons. He wants to represent New Zealand again, be that as an All Black or a Kiwi.

"That's where his passion is and you've got to respect someone with that sort of dream."

Some of Lomu's world-wide endorsements are based on his playing union, the game in which he achieved superstar status.

Lomu's wife is also his manager and she is adamant the 125kg giant's flirtation with league is not about money or the desire to prove the knockers wrong after he failed to win a Super 14 rugby deal for 2007.

"He just wants to play and it's not about proving anything to anyone," she said.

"We wanted to get a bit of a feel (for the Titans) but there are no offers on the table and no one's going to be rushed into anything."

Lomu said he was impressed with the professionalism of the Titans.

Searle said Lomu, who had a kidney transplant in 2004, met the club's doctor yesterday but did not have a medical.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    Lomu deal close

Karl deKroo
    Article from: Herald-Sun

ALL BLACKS rugby union legend Jonah Lomu is a step closer to playing in the NRL next season after impressing the Gold Coast Titans at a medical yesterday.
    The Titans formally offered the 31-year-old a one-year incentive-based deal after a meeting at the club's head office.

The 125kg winger told club officials he was "100 per cent" fit enough to play league.
    Great news!

Let's make this happen - this could be the signing coupe of the century if he returns to somewhere near the form that had him labelled as the most destructive rugby player of his generation!

Exciting times ahead.

Junior Titan

thats great news
    "Go the Titans"

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Sensible work,Titans.
    Another reason i want this to work is to prove all the knockers wrong! :emp:

Just another thought, if the signing goes through, we would instantly become one of the most reknown rugby league teams in the world without a tackle being made

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Just another thought, if the signing goes through, we would instantly become one of the most reknown rugby league teams in the world without a tackle being made
    Well we would get a lot of Kiwi support I mean we might become New Zealand's second favorite team because it sounds like Lomu was very popular over there, but we're going to get support all around the world we have two british players a couple of Kiwi's and we even have an American (Matthew Peterson if your wondering he wasn't born in USA but his parents were and he has played for the tomahawks).

Could Jonah Lomu's switch of codes be a move forward?
    Daniel Lane
    October 22, 2006

ALL Black great Jonah Lomu may play in the Gold Coast Titans' pack if he signs a one-year deal with the new NRL team.

Titans coach John Cartwright said although the devastating rugby winger's role had not been finalised, playing him up front was not out of the question.

"Jonah played in the forwards this year and said he wasn't bothered by that," Cartwright said.

"He said he wanted some more contact as he isn't getting much of that playing rugby union."

Wing remained an option for the 125 kilogram giant but it seemed "impact" was perhaps the best description for the All Blacks great's role with the NRL side.

"I'm happy with the reasons Jonah wants to come to rugby league," Cartwright said.

"He could earn much more money playing rugby but he likes the challenge league is offering.

"And he has a league background. He played until he was 15, he has a good understanding of the game and what is required, he goes to watch the New Zealand Warriors and he likes the game."

Lomu, 31, is believed to have been offered $100,000 to switch codes.

While his link has gained the Titans worldwide publicity there has been an outcry from medical authorities and members of the rugby fraternity about the risks involved in playing what's considered one of the world's toughest contact sports.

Lomu, who had a kidney transplant in 2004, said his dream to play in the Rugby World Cup next year was over and he had been unable to secure a Super 14 contract.

In Wales, Cardiff Blues captain Xavier Rush, a former teammate of Lomu, admitted it took a much greater level of fitness to play league. Lomu managed only 10 starts during his seven-month stint with Cardiff because of a foot injury.

"Obviously the ball running would not be a problem for him," Rush said. "But they're pretty fit blokes, the rugby league guys."

Former ARL doctor Nathan Gibbs described the idea as "madness" in light of Lomu's transplant and urged him to have counselling before signing any deal.

Lomu said he needs a week to consider the offer, during which he'll continue negotiations with rugby union clubs, including one in Italy.

Source: The Sun-Herald

Is Jonah a Titanic headache?
    Greg Davis
    October 22, 2006 12:00am

FORMER rugby union convert Anthony Herbert says Jonah Lomu joining the Gold Coast would "only damage" the reputations of both the ex-All Black and the Titans.

Lomu jetted into the tourist strip last week to open negotiations with the Titans about a possible switch to rugby league next year after failing to secure a 2007 Super 14 contract in New Zealand.
    The man mountain, who stands 195cm tall and weighs 125kg, had a kidney transplant in 2003 and his health and suitability for rugby league were placed under the microscope last week.

It is understood the Titans have offered the 1995 World Cup star up to $100,000 to join the fledgling club in its debut season and the Gold Coast expects a final answer from the Lomu camp within a week.

Herbert played one season of league at fullback with the South Queensland Crushers in 1995 after a successful union career with Queensland and Australia. He said it would be a mistake for both parties to continue negotiations.

"He's (Lomu) a king in New Zealand so I don't why he would bother. The Gold Coast have recruited a very good squad already from what I can see, so I don't know why they would bother either," Herbert told The Sunday Mail.

"I'm not sure if it's a publicity stunt or not but it would only damage their respective reputations if it went ahead.

"I think he would really struggle with the up-and-back in rugby league and I think fitness would also be a big issue for him because he would be starting from almost a zero base and it would be difficult to know how hard he could go.

"You have to be very fit and very quick to play the game. I don't think you could put him on the wing because he would have lost a lot of pace and you wouldn't put him in the forwards because he wouldn't be used to the extra contact in league.

"I just don't know why he doesn't go to Europe or Japan to play rugby union to earn more money for far less effort."

Herbert's former Reds, Wallabies and Crushers teammate Garrick Morgan, who is only 5cm taller and a similar weight to Lomu, struggled in the transition to rugby league in 1995 and spent most of the year in reserve grade.

Morgan was a forward and was never as quick as the giant winger who can reportedly still run 100m in 12sec.

Titans coach John Cartwright said the club was serious about luring Lomu to the Gold Coast and believed the 31-year-old was just as genuine about renewing his acquaintance with the 13-a-side game after playing rugby league as a junior.

"He wouldn't have been here if he wasn't serious and he made it clear he wouldn't be playing if there was any sort of danger to his heath either," Cartwright said.

When Lomu had his transplant, the new kidney was placed underneath his rib cage to allow him to absorb the impact of a tackle, but it is understood that an ankle injury is more of an issue to the Titans.

Lomu packed training gear for his brief trip to the Gold Coast and was prepared to do a fitness test but club doctors said there was no need for a medical.

Cartwright said if the deal went through Lomu would start on the wing but could also be used in short stints as an impact forward.

Source:Courier Mail

Lomu has four days to sign: Titans
    fox sports

October 25, 2006 FORMER All Black Jonah Lomu has been given until Sunday night to decide whether he'll switch codes and join the Gold Coast Titans in the NRL.

Titans managing director Michael Searle says the biggest hurdle to signing Lomu remains the 125kg wing's current world-wide endorsement deals which are based upon him playing rugby union.

31-year-old Lomu was given a helicopter tour of the Gold Coast last week after meeting Searle and Titans coach John Cartwright.

It's believed he's been offered $100,000 to join the Titans on a one-year deal.

Titans defend Lomu approach

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle has hit back at critics labelling the NRL club's courting of former All Blacks star Jonah Lomu as a publicity stunt.

Lomu, 31, has until Sunday night to decide whether he'll switch codes and join the Titans on a one-year deal believed to be worth about $100,000.

Questions have been raised about Lomu's ability to make the transition to rugby league, while sceptics have claimed it is simply a PR exercise by Gold Coast.

"If Lomu agrees to join the Titans, he will become little more than a rugby league sideshow -- the equivalent of the bearded lady," a Sydney journalist wrote recently.

"He might put a few extra bums on seats for a while, but only for the novelty value."

Searle says the club's temporary home ground Carrara Stadium will be packed next year, regardless of whether Lomu plays.

"It'll actually have a bigger impact on our away crowds," Searle said.

"I'm sure the other NRL clubs and the administrators are more than happy to hear that Jonah Lomu's coming because it'll add two or three thousand seats.

"The star factor had a bigger impact on away games ? we'll have full stadiums anyway.

"Whether it's in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Townsville or Auckland, Kiwis will flock to see him play.

"That's great for rugby league. It'll introduce a whole new range of fans to the game."

Searle said the biggest hurdle to Lomu joining the Titans remained the potential conflict between NRL sponsors and his worldwide endorsements with companies associated with rugby union.

"There's big commercial factors that are going to weigh heavily on him and the revenue from his sponsorship endorsements far exceeds what he would earn from rugby league," Searle said.

"It's more important for him to resolve those issues first and if that's achievable then we're in the game."

Lomu, who had a kidney transplant in 2004, is considering a switch to the 13-man game after failing to secure a Super 14 rugby union contract in New Zealand for next year.

The 125kg winger flew into the Gold Coast last week to open negotiations with the Titans.

"Whether you're an AFL, rugby league or rugby union fan, people want to see Jonah Lomu compete because at his peak he's one of the most incredible athletes the codes have put before us," said Searle.

Source: The Courier Mail Online

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Thumbs up

This from today's Courier Mail.

Gold Coast firms in race for Lomu.

New Zealand province North Habour yesterday withdrew its offer to Jonah Lomu for the 2007 season, boosting the chances of the former All Black signing with the NRL newcomers Gold Coast Titans.

Lomu is now faced with the choice of signing with the Titans in rugby league or a European or Asian rugby union club for 2007.

The 31 year old inspected the Gold Coast facilities last week and made it clear he was excited about the prospect of returning to league, the game he played as a junior.

But Lomu would still have to take a substantial pay cut to play with the Titans, who hope to get an answer from him before the weekend.

Source: Transcribed from the Courier Mail