Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ridgey
    yeah barrett is more of a robust physical 5\8,lockyer just finds holes at will and glides like a gazelle when he's in top form.their both great players and great 5\8ths in my opinion.
    true, they are both great 5/8's

it's lucky for all us bronco haters out there lockyer hasn't been in top form but when he's wearing the maroon or the green and gold,i'll beg for someone to give locky his groove back!

Titan CEO

Honestly steelers you are showing your bias regarding this lockyer and barrett issue. Ofcourse you want barrett in there you support him and the team he plays for. This year i dont think his form has been all that great really. Sure its been up there with a really good year...but lockyer had a really great season untill the back end of the season when the broncos lost something like 10 in a row or whatever. As deegan said form is temporary class is permament. Lockyers SOO game 1 was a damn good performance aswell.....he might be a little bit out of form but when he does hit his straps he can rip a team apart.....

But with that being said...im sure both players will do their best and if there is a decent forward pack for the rest of the tri nations which their wasnt for the first test then johns and lockyer will really fire. i do like the idea of barrett at lock too.

i can't believe matthew ridge had the hyde to voice his opinion on this issue anyway,i mean where's he been hiding for the last couple of years in the backstreets of auckland somewhere and now he's an expert on the selection of the australian team.
    you've got to be kidding.

Its most likely been taken out of context. He was probably asked his opinion, gave it and it gone blown out of proportion.

He is a former international though and his opinion is just as valid as the next guys.

That said, there is no way that Benny will move Lockyer back to fullback or pick Barrett ahead of Locky. He's a great player and arguably the 2nd best player in the world for a reason.

maybe i'm being a bit harsh on ridge i mean the kiwi's first win in oz since 91 was a huge achievement,they're probably just brimming with confidence.

Am i the only one that doesnt think Lockyer played that badly??

The 2 i was dissapointed in, was Johns and Buderus, there was No structure at all most of the game.

I am not saying drop either of them, but they better play a whole lot better then they did the other night.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster

The 2 i was dissapointed in, was Johns and Buderus, there was No structure at all most of the game.

I am not saying drop either of them, but they better play a whole lot better then they did the other night.
    Alot of players played badly...5/8's cant do anything with a crap pack. The only people calling for lockyer's head or for him to go to fullback are dragon fans and alot of sydney-siders, dont have to be einstein to work out why they want the move.
    Last edited by super cronk; 17-10-05 at 10:31 PM.

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Im just loving the fact, we lose, and yet most of the blame/criticism is falling on to Locky, people we had 16 other players out there on the field. Well omst of the criticisim is on him!!!!

Locky didn't have his best game in a test jersey, but he wasn't that bad, he is just getting used to the JOhns combo, because both like to control games, so they have to learn to work with and work of each others plays.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

And Lockyer has excelled in the Brisbane team??

Hardly he has had a bad couple of years by his high standards (which were set at fullback by the way). He showed pretty much nothing this year at 5\8. Even in Brisbane's start he wasnt dominating. All I am saying is the Australian team would look much more complete and intimidating in attack AND defense if Barrett was 5\8 and Locky no.1. Mini has done nothing wrong but I would slide him out to Tahu's wing.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    No, he played as well as he was entitled to in a side containing a forward pack badly beaten to the punch. I wrote on page 1:

Darren Lockyer did not play his best game in the green and gold, tell me though, who did? It seems the Australian captain is being targeted by sections of the media (Sydney in particular) pushing the barrow of their own Trent Barrett. For those doubting Lockyer's ability in the 6 jersey, I suggest you look at the 2004 Tri-Nations tour as well as the majority of his games in 2004 with the first half of 2005. He CAN play five-eight. Lockyer was the 2004 Dally M Five-Eight of the year.

This was Lockyer's first game in a few weeks as well working with a great halfback, there was going to be some expected 'rust' in his game. A backline (in particular the halves) are only as good as their forwards yet nothing is said about the guys up front who were dominated by the NZ pack? Why? Perhaps that won't sell papers on monday morning.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"

Keep the above in mind before sticking the boot into a player the calibre of Darren Lockyer. Allan Langer went through this, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Wally Lewis did as well, champion players will bounce back, Lockyer will do the same for us Friday night.

Let's hope he AND the rest of the team bounce back after being out enthused by the Kiwis.

DeeGan

I filthy I missed the Australians against the Kiwis but I do want to state my opinion on our 5/8, so I?m not blaming Lockyer for the loss.

Most of the comments here are said from a Bronco or Queensland point of view.
    As an Australian who loves rugby league, Barrett has proven to be a better 5/8 than Lockyer.
    I?m with Dakink on this.
    No Australian coach should have to even think about hiding an Australian representative in defense.

A great 5/8 is a great defender.
    Lockyer is not a great defender, no matter which way you look at it.
    He should not be the Australian 5/8

Lockyer showed his best footy while playing fullback. He filled in well for the Broncos when needed but it is time for another change.
    In saying that?I think Minichello deserves his spot at fullback .

If Lockyer was to lose is spot in the Australian side, I would blame his unfortunate season playing at 5/8. I would love to see him have a break, play fullback next season and then come back as the Australian fullback.
    He would have a great understanding of the 5/8 role and could read the game like no other fullback.

Like I said, I missed the game and have no opinion on the last game but our halves still have the potential to cut sides to shreds, if our forwards get on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Most of the comments here are said from a Bronco or Queensland point of view.
    As an Australian who loves rugby league
    Chaos, nice post first of all though just to point out, I think you will find most of us whether it be of the QLD or Bronco fan variety are Australian who love rugby league as well. It just so happens they are all for Darren Lockyer playing five-eight and nothing more

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Chaos, nice post first of all though just to point out, I think you will find most of us whether it be of the QLD or Bronco fan variety are Australian who love rugby league as well. It just so happens they are all for Darren Lockyer playing five-eight and nothing more

DeeGan
    Yeah...you probably have a right to pull me up on that.
    We have all seen Lockyer cut sides to pieces and those images are in evryone's mind when sticking up for him.

I should have said 'some' instead of 'most'