Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lockyer will keep his job.

Kiwi great uses his brain

THE fallout from Australia's distressing loss to New Zealand continued yesterday, with former Kiwi fullback Matthew Ridge controversially stating Trent Barrett should replace Darren Lockyer for Friday night's Test in Auckland.

Australia were beaten 38-28 in the opening Tri-Nations Test at Homebush on Saturday night, and scrutiny now centres on the Kangaroos team for the return game at Ericsson Stadium.

Ridge, the ex-Manly fullback, said Australia would be a "wounded beast", and he predicted selectors would make up to four changes when the side is announced tomorrow.

But Ridge's most contentious change surrounds Barrett - who played for the Junior Kangaroos against New Zealand A in a curtain-raiser to the Test on Saturday - replacing five-eighth Lockyer.

"I'd have Trent Barrett in there - I rate Barrett," Ridge said.

"Lockyer seems to be drifting across field and is an easy target. He is putting pressure on his outside men.

"He looks like he needs a rest.

"Trent is a bit younger and a bit fresher and runs more at the line.

"When they make changes they normally do so in the halves and you aren't going to throw Andrew Johns away.

Australia usually makes changes after a loss and I reckon they could make three or four.

"I didn't think much of Australia's composure on Saturday night but I'm not prepared to write them off either."

There is no chance of Lockyer being dropped, however, and coach Wayne Bennett will also resist calls to shift his captain back to fullback.

Winger Timana Tahu will miss the return Test in Auckland with a hamstring injury, forcing at least one chance.

Matt Cooper would seem likely to come in at centre, with Brent Tate shifting to wing.

Some questioned the decision to play Trent Waterhouse at centre when Tahu came off on Saturday.

Australia hooker Danny Buderus meanwhile denied the side had been ambushed by the Kiwis.

"We knew it was coming," he said. "The result will make things all the more interesting.

"We have put pressure on ourselves but that will make us hungrier.

"We just dropped too much ball - fundamental stuff."

Buderus described the coming Test as "massive".

"They will be going nuts over there," he said.

Another Kiwi champion, Gary Freeman, said New Zealand could now kick along and win the Tri-Nations.

"I think New Zealand will win it after watching this game," he said.

"They were there for a purpose on Saturday night and will only get stronger.

"The Kiwis looked hungry and wanted to dominate. We have players with footwork that worried the Aussies. Australia thought it may be all too easy."

After the match, Bennett spoke of his disappointment. "I expected to be better than what we were and I can't use that for an excuse for what we did, we weren't even close to them," he said.

The Daily Telegraph

Good to see someone with a bit of common sense.

Titan CEO

pfft....i dont rate barret higher then lockyer. People these day see barret as a utility player...that shows you how much they think of him as a 5/8. Johns didnt have his best night but are you going to remove him and put in brett kimmorley or gower? it wasnt lockyers best game but he is a class player.

He is a class fullback. This season has shown he is a average to good 5\8. He doesnt have the defensive muscle to worry other teams.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

The kiwis are just saying that cause they know that Barrett is not as good as Lockyer. The kiwis would want the weakest team as possible to play against and the Kangaroos would not be as strong as they have been without Lockyer.

Titan CEO

yeah what do they know about 5/8's..they got vagana in the #6!

Barrett has always excelled at Rep level. The team is weaker with Locky at 5\8. Locky would be more effective in attack frm the back and our defense would be tighter and more intimidating with Barrett in the front line.

Locky should retain the captaincy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    He doesnt have the defensive muscle to worry other teams
    Thankfully for selectors the five-eight is not picked to instill fear into the opposition with his defensive prowess

Darren Lockyer did not play his best game in the green and gold, tell me though, who did? It seems the Australian captain is being targeted by sections of the media (Sydney in particular) pushing the barrow of their own Trent Barrett. For those doubting Lockyer's ability in the 6 jersey, I suggest you look at the 2004 Tri-Nations tour as well as the majority of his games in 2004 with the first half of 2005. He CAN play five-eight. Lockyer was the 2004 Dally M Five-Eight of the year.

This was Lockyer's first game in a few weeks as well working with a great halfback, there was going to be some expected 'rust' in his game. A backline (in particular the halves) are only as good as their forwards yet nothing is said about the guys up front who were dominated by the NZ pack? Why? Perhaps that won't sell papers on monday morning.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"

Keep the above in mind before sticking the boot into a player the calibre of Darren Lockyer. Allan Langer went through this, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Wally Lewis did as well, champion players will bounce back, Lockyer will do the same for us Friday night.

Let's hope he AND the rest of the team bounce back after being out enthused by the Kiwis.

DeeGan

No a 5\8 isnt picked to instill fear into the oppostion but I know I would rather be facing Lockyer in the line than Barrett.

Other teams know you can blunt Lockyer by running at him but running players at Barrett all day has little affect. Lockyer needs to perhaps defend wider????

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    No a 5\8 isnt picked to instill fear into the oppostion but I know I would rather be facing Lockyer in the line than Barrett.

Other teams know you can blunt Lockyer by running at him but running players at Barrett all day has little affect. Lockyer needs to perhaps defend wider????
    I think Bennett could learn a thing or two from Tim Sheens who does a superb job of ensure Marshall is not able to 'spotted' in the defensive line of the Tigers myself.

Lockyer's front line defence is his weakness and instead of denying the fact, Bennett should be looking to better utilise him in defence IMO.

If we are looking at Friday's test, I would perhaps push everyone in one and move Lockyer wider to the wing as Tate is a great defensive player. We save him some juice for attack and he is not as easily exploited defending on one wing which could easily be swapped throughout the 80 minutes as Matt King is also a very strong defender.

DeeGan

Titan CEO

i didnt think his defence was bad in the first test.

No but it takes more out of him than it does Barrett, hence it leaves him less juice to create or run at the opposition. There is not a better sight than Lockyer hitting holes hard and the Broncos looked there best when Lockyer did that a couple of times towads the end of the season.

It doesn't matter how badly Lockyer performs in the Tri-Nations, he won't get the sack. Bennett would not let that happen, just as he would never move him to fullback. Barrett deserves a run. If it isn't 5/8, then it has to be as a utility, because he can play more than just in the halves.

for some reason lockyer is running across field way too much and cramping his outside backs.by the time the likes of tate,gaz and king were getting the ball in their hands they were basically on the sideline.this has been a problem for the broncos this season in that they play to laterally in attack and i'm suprised bennett hasn't tried to address it more.gasnier and co need the ball in their hands early so they can be 1 on 1 with their opponents,not struggling for room.also lockyer needs to get that confidence to take the line on himself more and back his own ability instead of alway's rushing and worrying to create things.there's no more damaging runner in the game than lockyer when he puts his head down and runs.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgey
    there's no more damaging runner in the game than lockyer when he puts his head down and runs.
    Barrett is a much more dangerous runner of the ball IMO

yeah barrett is more of a robust physical 5\8,lockyer just finds holes at will and glides like a gazelle when he's in top form.their both great players and great 5\8ths in my opinion.