Default Titans: Prince makes pledge

Prince makes pledge
    Greg Davis
    October 15, 2006 12:00am

LIKELY Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince says expectations within the Titans ranks are at odds with the bookmakers.

The premiership-winning captain with the Wests Tigers last year said there would be no internal talk of grand-final glory or playoff berths in the club's opening campaign.

But he did make one promise that could be banked on ? the Titans will fight to the bitter end every time they take to the field of battle next year.

"With a bit of talk about us making the finals and winning premierships comes a lot of expectation, and we are certainly not talking about that kind of stuff specifically," Prince said.

"Our approach is more along the lines that we are aiming to be as competitive as possible every time we play.

"That's pretty much all you can ask of any side, especially one only playing its first season.

"I think it's important to remember that the next 12 months will be the toughest for the club because everything is so new. But if we give 100 per cent every time we play, then we'll be in the race."

The former Test and Origin halfback said he understood the excitement, but urged caution.

"When you look at our side on paper it looks really good and the club deserves a lot of credit for recruiting the calibre of player it has," he said.

"Michael Searle (Titans CEO) and his administration team have done a great job marketing the club, too, and the Titans are really in the public eye with a really strong sponsorship base.

"They've done all they can do, so it is up the players now.

"But like anything it is going to take time before we are firing. The team has to get to know each other and gel as a unit.

"We also have to gel with Carty (John Cartwright) who will be in his first season as a head coach.

"Everybody has to be a little patient at the start."

Prince and his family moved into their Robina home this week and were revelling in their new surroundings after three years in Sydney.

The 26-year-old is delighted to be back in Queensland, but grateful the Tigers gave him a shot at redemption after injury ruined his stint at Brisbane.

In his time at Campbelltown, Prince won a premiership and claimed Australian and Queensland jerseys.

"I initially didn't want to go but in the end it was a great move for my career because I was able to get back on track," he said.

"It's wonderful to be home but I might not have been in the position I'm in if not for the Tigers."

The Sunday Mail

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Good levelheaded thinking. A fair few of us believe we've got the roster to stake a top 8 claim, but without even a game under our belt you've gotta take it easy and do the hard yards first. Building from the ground up here.

Definitely have the roster, but it might take a while for everything to come together. Still, so long as we avoid the spoon, that'll do me.

I'm trying not to get too excited. Do I think you we could get a top 8 finish? yeah. I'd hope we just win enough to be a strong side.

But, if you look at the Centrebet.com.au odds for next years premiership winner, it feels good to be thought of more of a chance than 5 or 6 other teams.

MELBOURNE STORM 6.00

THE BULLDOGS 6.50

BRISBANE BRONCOS 7.00

PARRAMATTA EELS 11.00

ST GEORGE-ILLAWARRA 11.00

MANLY SEA EAGLES 13.00

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 13.00

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 15.00

NORTH QLD COWBOYS 15.00

GOLD COAST TITANS 17.00

WESTS TIGERS 17.00

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 23.00

PENRITH PANTHERS 26.00

CRONULLA SHARKS 31.00

SOUTH SYDNEY 31.00

CANBERRA RAIDERS 101.00

Quote Originally Posted by travis burch
    I'm trying not to get too excited. Do I think you we could get a top 8 finish? yeah. I'd hope we just win enough to be a strong side.

But, if you look at the Centrebet.com.au odds for next years premiership winner, it feels good to be thought of more of a chance than 5 or 6 other teams.

MELBOURNE STORM 6.00

THE BULLDOGS 6.50

BRISBANE BRONCOS 7.00

PARRAMATTA EELS 11.00

ST GEORGE-ILLAWARRA 11.00

MANLY SEA EAGLES 13.00

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 13.00

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 15.00

NORTH QLD COWBOYS 15.00

GOLD COAST TITANS 17.00

WESTS TIGERS 17.00

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 23.00

PENRITH PANTHERS 26.00

CRONULLA SHARKS 31.00

SOUTH SYDNEY 31.00

CANBERRA RAIDERS 101.00
    Hi Travis Burch :hi: Welcome to the forums
    I agree with you..I would be really surprised to see the Titans not achieve a top eight finish to next season...Go Titans

Looks like it's worth putting $10 on the Raiders.

Our odds aren't too bad. Will be interesting to see which way they go a few games into the season.

Junior Titan

i think we should be higher than the warriors
    "Go the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    That was my first reaction!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    Nah the warriors should be in the top 8 next year and i rate them as a darkhorse to win the premiership next year.

Warriors were in great form back end 2006, they should maintain their form leading into 2007 and they will be a threat next year.

Prince will make a great captain. He knows what to say and when to say it.
    He is a leader amongst men.

He doesn't want to put any undue expectations or pressure on the team in the first season.

1st year - Greater than 50/50 win/loss
    2nd year - Top eight finish
    3rd year - Top four
    4th year - Number one :win: :win: :win:

I'm not Prince. :naughty:
    Go the TITANS!