Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Mason vows revenge
    Sunday, 15 October 2006 @ 10:41 AM
    sportal.com.au

Willie Mason has vowed to get even with David Kidwell after a shoulder charge from the Kiwi left the big Australian forward bloodied and dazed in a spiteful Tri-Nations clash.

During the opening tri-nations clash, Mason was left with a big egg under his right eye, courtesy of a fierce shoulder charge from Kidwell.

"I don't know if you would call it a big hit - it was more like a cheap shot," Mason told the Sunday Telegraph.

"(Kidwell) came in from the side like he always does. I never see him taking the ball in the middle of the ruck, so I don't care what he says. Do I owe him one? Yes I do."

Mason was also the centre of attention after he was found on camera to be disrespecting the Kiwi haka before the match.

During the traditional haka Mason appeared to mouth the words "What the f... is that? F... off."

Kidwell denies the claims that Mason's pre-match spray was the reason behind the bone-crunching collision.

"I am Maori and Kiwi and the haka is very close to my heart," Kidwell said.

"I actually didn't know he was doing that. Someone told me after the game. They thought that's why I did it (shoulder charge) but it wasn't. But he better not do it again."

Australian coach Ricky Stuart is confident that Mason will be fit and ready to face New Zealand in the re-match at Telstra Dome on October 21st.

"He got a really bad head knock," Stuart said.

"It looked like a clash of heads with the injury to his eye. Hopefully it is not his eye socket. We seem to think he looks ok at the moment."

The match was a physical clash with Melbourne Storm star Matt King thrown into advertising boards by Manu Vatuvei.

King retaliated, throwing punches at Vatuvei, with nearly every player on the pitch running in to remonstrate.

Titan First Grade Squad

i cant wait hopefully the game has as much or even more tension than the first game in the series..i think nz by 6..

Titan Club Captain

Mason can bring it!!

Kidwell can handle Mason's jandal ..or should I say "thong"

Cheap shot' angers Stuart
    From Steve Mascord in Auckland
    October 16, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart says his forwards are seething over David Kidwell's hit on Willie Mason, and he challenged the New Zealand back rower last night to run at them on Saturday night.

In a biting assessment of Kidwell's 25th-minute shoulder charge on prop Mason during Saturday night's 30-18 win at Mount Smart Stadium, Stuart questioned the Melbourne veteran's courage in running the ball.

Stuart's anger comes amid urgent calls for changes to the Tri-Nations judiciary system to prevent the tournament degenerating into a wild farce.

"I'm actually quite excited that the boys are dirty on it," Stuart said at Auckland Airport late yesterday.

"David Kidwell got Petero Civoniceva with a cheap shot in the grand final. He came from side-on with Willie.

"That's all fine but then David won't run the ball back at these blokes.

"David will get the football and he'll be running at Johnathan Thurston. It's all well and good playing tough in defence. I haven't seen David Kidwell play too tough with the football."

The comments threaten to turn Saturday night's return encounter into a powderkeg.

With Kidwell a Melbourne favourite, his annointing as public enemy No.1 by the Australians should guarantee promoters a huge crowd at Telstra Dome.

Stuart continued: "Passion is terrific - as long as people can take what you give. That's one thing David Kidwell is yet to live up to. Kidwell's happy to give it. I'll drop this subject when I see Kidwell wanting to run the ball in and around the middle of our forward pack, more so than running at Johnathan Thurston.

"I know a lot of our boys are aware of that fact."

Kidwell claimed after the incident, which left Mason with severe bruising below his left eye and has him needing scans today for a possible facial fracture, that it was already "forgotten" among the players.

But Stuart said: "It's all forgotten if you want to take your end of the deal, too.

"It's easy to come in and take a cheap shot when blokes are running the football and then you get the football, you run at the halves.

The way he got Petero with a cheap shot in the grand final and then the shot on Willie - it doesn't go un-noticed by the boys."

Australia centre Matt King said he expected the tough nature of Saturday night's Test to be a theme for the rest of the series.

"This series is going to be fired up," King said.

"(Great Britain prop) Stuart Fielden is already talking about the Poms and how physical they're going to be.

"I think it will be an old school series, which I think everyone is looking forward to."

A flaw in the triangular series' judiciary process has raised fears about the amount of foul play fans will be subjected to in coming Tests.

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad last night endorsed calls for an independent committee to review suspected foul play during the remaining six Tri-Nations Tests.

Under the current rules, no disciplinary action can be taken against a player unless he is placed on report or sent off by a referee.

Referee Ashley Klein did not place Kidwell on report.

Both teams also have a small 30-minute window after a game to lodge a protest against any incident.

The matter will be further discussed this week and Noad agreed an independent body must be used to review foul play.

"I'd support that theory," Noad said.

"I think the NRL system works pretty well in general.

"I can't see any reason why that system couldn't be implemented. They could use an independent body."

Source: Daily Telegraph

Titan Club Captain

It wasnt a cheap shot..was a bloody awesome shot!!

I wish everyone would shut the **** up about it, get over it, just sort it all out on Saturday night!!

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    It wasnt a cheap shot..was a bloody awesome shot!!

I wish everyone would shut the **** up about it, get over it, just sort it all out on Saturday night!!
    it was a cheap shot and i'll leave it at that
    "Go the Titans"

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    it was a cheap shot and i'll leave it at that
    It wasnt cheap..ima go look at it again..for like the millionth time..

There was no way in hell that was a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4

LMAO at the commentators "he gave him a haka" ... "big willie..wonder whats on those lips now" Maori's are funny. :rotflmao:
    Last edited by Go_The_Doggies; 16-10-06 at 01:46 PM.

Maitua to miss Test
    From Steve Mascord in Auckland
    October 16, 2006

AUSTRALIA is set to hand out another new cap for Saturday night's return bout with New Zealand, with lock Reni Maitua likely to miss one game with ankle ligament damage,

Brisbane's Sam Thaiday and Sydney Roosters' Anthony Tupou are in line to move on to the bench, with Andrew Ryan tipped to start at the Telstra Dome.

Thaiday and Tupou bBoth had roller-coaster rides this season, with the former dropped to the Queensland Cup after making his Origin debut and the latter failing to hold his place in the Country Origin side.

The Australia squad flew out for Melbourne last night.

The players have a day off training today, with a school appearance their only commitment.

They have just three training runs planned this week.
    Source: Daily Telegraph

Lets make the tri nations a lot less complicated. Heres how:

Play a best out 3 series between the Kiwis and the Poms, who ever wins, give them the second place trophy.

Obviously I'm tipping Australia to win this.

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    It wasnt cheap..ima go look at it again..for like the millionth time..

There was no way in hell that was a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4

LMAO at the commentators "he gave him a haka" ... "big willie..wonder whats on those lips now" Maori's are funny. :rotflmao:
    My god cant an aussie forward get nailed without them launching a campaign to defend why he got knocked on his ass? there was nothing cheap about it, a straight shoulder charge on a hint of an angle, he was first in line to make the tackle aswell. "I think he gave him about 3 verses of the haka in that one" i heard one announcer say

Quote Originally Posted by Meh
    My god cant an aussie forward get nailed without them launching a campaign to defend why he got knocked on his ass?
    I reckon! Mason should just get over it. It was a bloody hard hit, not cheap. im an aussie fan, but i can still see it wasnt cheap.

But I'd love to see Mason deal a little pay back :dead:

GO THE MAROONS!

Kangaroos Vs Kiwis PreviewSource: NRL

Monday, October 16, 2006 - 1:33 PM

Game two of the 2006 Tri-Nations series, again to be played between Australia and New Zealand, should contain plenty of fireworks with both teams vowing to once again play a tough game amid claims from Willie Mason and Australian coach Ricky Stuart that David Kidwell?s hit on the Aussie star was a ?cheap shot?.

The war of words that started after Saturday?s spiteful game in New Zealand has boiled over to this weekend?s game with the Aussies vowing to get revenge and the Kiwis predictably standing their ground.

Australian coach Stuart has added fuel to the fire by blasting Kidwell?s style of play and insinuating that the tough second rower is a serial offender.

?David Kidwell got Petero Civinoceva with a cheap shot in the Grand Final. He came from side-on with Willie. That?s all fine but then David won?t run the ball back at these blokes. I haven?t seen David Kidwell play too tough with the football?.

In a match that will feature a physical, aggressive style from both teams, the edge will go to the Kiwis who will be more aggressive than usual after seeing Mason allegedly disrespect the haka.

The Kangaroos showed that they are the better side with the ball, and are able to play a much swifter and skilful game, while the Kiwis are happy to bash the ball up the middle and then look for their big backs to dominate by running over the top of tired defenders.

They can tire those defenders out by employing their favoured tactic of running some of their large backrowers including Frank Pritchard and David Kidwell on the fringes of the ruck with the intention of creating chances for the likes of Vatuvei and Matai to capitalise on the opposition?s fatigue later in the game.

This can also have a reverse effect, especially when some of those big forwards defend on the edges where the likes of Gasnier, Inglis and Hunt can use their fancy footwork and pace to get around the less mobile New Zealanders and create chances for Australia down the flanks.

The equation for New Zealand is simple: if they are to defeat the Kangaroos they not only have to come up with the big bone- jarring hits that they are well known for but also be aware that they cannot afford to give away penalties that give an attack minded Australian side field position.

You can bet the game will be physical with the Aussies reportedly being filthy on Kidwell?s hit on Mason, but if the Kangaroo forwards go out hell bent on retaliation then they may suffer on the scoreboard.

If one thing went the way of the Kiwis in game one it was that they were physically dominant and they would be confident in taking on the Australian side in a battle up the middle.

The loss of Reni Maitua with an ankle injury will most likely mean that Andrew Ryan will start at lock with either Sam Thaiday or Anthony Tupou making their test debut from the bench.

Key Match Ups

Willie Mason Vs David Kidwell

While Mason is talking the talk, Kidwell is walking the walk, and in this Trans Tasman battle of tough men the Kiwi has let his on field defence do the talking, and the damage to an angry Mason. There is no doubt that these two will clash at some stage of the game and when they do their will be fireworks, in a battle that could turn the Tri-Nations series between the two teams into a war of attrition.

Matt King Vs Manu Vatuvei

Both are big and strong, and possess searing pace, but it will be a physical battle between these two thoroughbreds when they clash for the second time. They were the instigators in the brawl that started it all in game one, and Vatuvei took the points in their battle. However King never stays quiet for long and the big centre come winger will be looking to produce his absolute best on Saturday night in front of his home crowd.

Best Bet

This will be a tight game and with the likelihood of early fireworks increasing by the hour, there should be plenty of penalties given away. Take the settling penalty goal as the first scoring play of the game.

Buy Tickets

Source: NRL

Loved every second of that shot, too bad mason didn't stay down. :P

nothing yet mentioning about jamie lyon :upset:

oh well i guess its a bit too soon

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Meh
    My god cant an aussie forward get nailed without them launching a campaign to defend why he got knocked on his ass? there was nothing cheap about it, a straight shoulder charge on a hint of an angle, he was first in line to make the tackle aswell. "I think he gave him about 3 verses of the haka in that one" i heard one announcer say
    Ahh gotta love Richie Barnett and that other random fella ..Tawera wasnt commentating was he?