Default Dragons Decide to Quit Flegg in 07

Interesting decision this one....

Dragons quit Flegg
    By Dean Ritchie
    October 13, 2006 12:00

ST GEORGE Illawarra will next season abolish their Jersey Flegg side.
    The Dragons are preparing for the likelihood that in 2008, NRL clubs will have two teams ? first grade and an under-20s side.

Next season, St George Illawarra will field two sides ? first grade and Premier League. The club's Jersey Flegg players from this year will step up into Premier League.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said: "We are strategically positioning ourselves for 2008."

The proposed national under-20 competition is ready to be approved.

In other club news, Dragons hooker Aaron Gorrell has signed a three-year contract with France-based English Super League side the Catalans Dragons.

Dragons earn Carr's ire for dumping Flegg
    Brad Walter
    October 13, 2006

ST GEORGE Illawarra has axed its Jersey Flegg team in a move set to lead to a massive revamp of the competitions below NRL level.

The decision has angered the NSWRL, who run all tiers of the game in the state outside the NRL premiership, with general manager Geoff Carr yesterday accusing the Dragons of shortsightedness and suggesting the club had budgetary issues.

But St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust said the club was preparing for the introduction of an elite national under-20s competition in 2008 and would field a premier league team next season comprising of their best juniors and just a handful of older players.

The Dragons have an agreement with Shellharbour Marlins enabling them to call on players from the new Wollongong-based Jim Beam Cup club next season if necessary and that arrangement may be extended if the premier league competition is scrapped.

"In 2008 we contemplate that there will be a national youth competition and an NRL competition so we're preparing for that in 2007," Doust said. "The reason we are having a premier league team [instead of Jersey Flegg] is that we still have some players that are on contract that would be over age but the majority of our side will be under 20s, which is what we had this year anyway.

"We prefer that structure because we think it prepares them for first grade more readily than playing in a Jersey Flegg competition and in fact a number of our players that played first grade this year and a lot of our premier league players could have played Jersey Flegg."

Carr said he had not yet been formally advised the Dragons were pulling out of the Jersey Flegg and took aim at the club's management over the decision, which he suggested was a cost cutting exercise caused by paying over the odds for NRL players.

"The Dragons have got a reputation of overspending on players," Carr said. "But with the correct budget they could participate in this and not have a problem. You don't have to pay more than anyone else for every player. You can come up with a budget so I think it is a completely short-sighted option from a club that has supported NSW competitions since its inception."

Discussion about a national youth competition has been ongoing for more than a year and Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald, who is the chairman of a committee set up to investigate competition models, said he hoped the NRL partnership committee would sign off on the under-20s proposal at its next board meeting.

Under the plan, all 16 NRL teams would have an under-20s team that would play before the top grade clash each week. But there may be no premier league, with a NSW state league similar to the Queensland Cup having been mooted for some time.

It is envisaged that NRL clubs would either field sides or have feeder teams in the second tier competition, which may be an expanded Jim Beam Cup.

"I think there needs to be a restructure of NSW competitions as well, which I think will be contemplated on the back of this national youth competition being introduced," Doust said.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

A interesting move, it sounds good, preparing for the future, but its very complicated, so i'll just not say much, cause i don't really see the whole issue very clearly.

Junior Titan

i don;t like it
    "Go the Titans"

LOL You wouldnt Locky!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan First Grade Regular

Well at least they are preparing themselves.cya. :leonardo:

I dunno what to think of this TBH. All I can say is that our PL side will be very strong next year.

i dont really understand it but it will benifit us in the long run with the younger JF players getting a better chance to test their skills against the older opponents.

Junior Titan

The Dragons currently have a kid called Travis Roach playing jersey flegg, he is an incredible natural talent, look out for him in years to come.