Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    I agree with what victor and TJ said this side aint that good i hate how they play Inglis out on the wing and im not sure about Hunt at fullback considering he hasnt played the full 80 minutes at fullback for quite some time now.
    LOL I was too yesterday Grimmace, but TBH, I can see Hodges, Inglis and Hunt interchanging throughout the game as needed, so we have a very versatile backline and it does suit us nicely...

However as I said before, I feel sorry for Tate, who is the form centre ATM IMO... but I can see how this will work, and even though Karmichael hasn't played as much as the others this season, he provides more ability to move the side around as needed compared to Brent.

I am sure though Brent will get a chance this Tri-Nations, the backline will be on rotation policy I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    I am sure though Brent will get a chance this Tri-Nations, the backline will be on rotation policy I think...
    And so should the fowards.Its Great to have exprerience but we need to start blooding youths befroe the WC

Young Roos bracing for Kiwis' heavy hits
    Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 2:16 PM

Kangaroos debutants have been warned of "chaos" in the early period of Saturday's Tri Nations opener as the Kiwis attempt to rough them up.

Five newcomers have been named in the Australian rugby league squad and more experienced teammates have told them to prepare for a torrid time at Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium.

"They said that especially the first 20 minutes will be a bit of chaos," said Reni Maitua, who debuts at lock for the Kangaroos.

"We're going to be expecting it and I think they should expect the same from us," the Bulldogs player said.

Nineteen-year-old Greg Inglis said he wouldn't be intimidated despite seeing teammate Karmichael Hunt stretchered off in the Anzac Test after a heavy hit.

"They'll probably get out there and try to bash you like they tried to do against K and obviously they succeeded," said Inglis, who starts on the wing Saturday night.

"I'm going to go out there and do what I do best.

"I'll be in there going looking for the ball."

New Zealand-born Hunt, who returns at fullback for the Kangaroos, was given special attention in Brisbane, apparently over his decision to play for Australia at the Kiwis' expense.

Maitua did not think he would be similarly singled out over remarks he made about rejecting overtures two years ago to join the New Zealand team.

"I'm not a Kiwi ... There's no reason why they should target me more than any other players," he said.

"Anyone with the ball is a target."

Maitua was born in Sydney but is eligible to represent New Zealand because his Samoan father once lived in the country.

Bulldogs teammate Willie Mason has criticised New Zealand media for trying to claim Australian-born players such as Maitua as Kiwis.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan and local newspapers responded by pointing out that Mason himself was born in Auckland.

Both Maitua and Inglis rated their Kangaroos selection as a career high.

"I had a smile deep inside but didn't show it," said Inglis, who was unconcerned about playing in unfamiliar territory on the wing.

"It's not the position I prefer to play in but I got named there so I'll do my job there."

Inglis plays centre or fullback for the Storm but has appeared on the wing for Queensland in this year's State of Origin series.

He did not think coach Ricky Stuart has put him in that position to counter the Kiwis' big wingers.

"I don't know what Sticky's strategy is but he named me there for a purpose and I'll do my role," Inglis said.

Source: AAP

Hunt to stay at fullback
    By Adrian Proszenko
    October 11, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart is set to ignore Brisbane's premiership formula and play Karmichael Hunt only at fullback in the Test against New Zealand.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett's ploy to interchange Hunt and centre Justin Hodges paid rich dividends during the finals series, giving both his strike weapons an opportunity to attack from broken play.

While Stuart has not yet formally addressed the team about tactics and game plans, Hunt predicted he would play out the entire Test from the back.

"He picked me at fullback so I'd expect to be playing fullback for the whole game,'' Hunt said.

"I'd say I'd be sitting at the back as normal and Hodgo will be doing his thing in the centres. I love playing fullback so I don't mind just staying at the back there.

"At the Broncos it was a different story, giving me and Justin to give him a bit of a run and also a bit of a rest as well. We'll have to see what happens.''

Hunt said the custodian role gave him an opportunity to ease the playmaking responsibilities off five-eighth Darren Lockyer.

"For most of the year, until I got injured, that was the type of role I was playing,'' Hunt said of their Broncos combination.

"JT (Johnathan Thurston) is there in the halfback role so I don't want to take too much away from him.

"I'll just back up when I can and play out wide off Lockyer, that's my role.''

Hunt said it felt "odd'' that he was the Kangaroos custodian but did not have the role full time at the Broncos.

"It is a bit odd but I knew the reason why I wasn't playing the whole game at fullback for the club,'' he said.

"It was about the structure we wanted to play and changing up with Hodgo was just about helping the team out, and that's what we are all about.

"It's a bit different but I'm happy getting the number one jersey and I'm looking forward to it.''

Hunt received a hostile reception when he made his debut in the Anzac Test as the Kiwis were privately upset he declined an invitation to play for them.

He was targeted every time he touched the ball and was knocked out in a ferocious hit by Penrith enforcer Frank Pritchard.

He and teammate Reni Maitua, who also rejected invites to represent New Zealand, are likely to get a hostile encounter on Saturday night at Mt Smart Stadium.

"I'm expecting another tough encounter, at Test level, you're not going to get anything less,'' he said.

"We chose to play for Australia and that's the final choice. We are not worried about outside influences about them claiming us.

"We're just proud to be in the side and pulling on that Aussie jersey.''

The absence of injured No.1 Anthony Minichiello has given Hunt another chance to impress in the green and gold, but he felt no added pressure to secure the spot long-term.

"I haven't thought about it, the only goal I'm thinking about is doing the best I can for my teammates and my country, that's all I can do,'' he said.

AAP

Anger over delayed telecast
    By Dean Ritchie
    October 12, 2006

CHANNEL 9 yesterday came under heavy fire for refusing to telecast Saturday's Tri-Nations Test between Australia and New Zealand live and instead airing an episode of Australia's Funniest Home Videos.

Ignoring fans' wishes for the match to be shown live from 5pm (8pm Auckland time), Nine will show host Toni Pearen and video clips of what one website describes as: "People falling over and hurting themselves; babies and animals doing amusing things or old people doing things they shouldn't be doing."

The match will be shown on Nine at 6.30pm - 90 minutes after kick-off.

Nine will telecast Australia's Funniest Home Videos and then, importantly to them, their news bulletin while the Test match is being played.

It will be virtually impossible for fans to watch the match and not know the score given the internet coverage, TV updates, radio bulletins and 2GB's decision to call the game live.

Nine's decision comes as free-to-air stations run commercials over the federal government's anti-siphoning laws, claiming the public should be allowed to watch sport free and not be forced to buy Fox Sports.

Fox Sports claimed last night it would happily show the game live given their campaign aimed at free-to-air stations states: "Use it or lose it."

Nine head of sport Steve Crawley said the International Rugby League Board stated all Tri-Nations games must kick off at 8pm.

"It if was on at a time when it could be shown live, we would," said Crawley.

"Nine has made a massive commitment to live sport. All Tri-Nations games played in Australia will be shown live."

2GB's rugby league broadcaster Ray Hadley was astounded at Nine's decision.

"I have no control over Channel 9 but I find it strange that they are in a battle with pay-TV over anti-siphoning and they don't seize the opportunity to show the game live," Hadley said.

"Everywhere you look there are ads saying you shouldn't pay for your sport. They have missed an opportunity. We will call it live."

ARL chairman Colin Love was diplomatic yesterday.

"Naturally we would prefer the game to be shown live but you have to be realistic," Love said.

"Nine has its news at 6pm and they can't run the risk of interfering with that."

Fox Sports chief operating officer John Marquard added: "They (free-to-air stations) run campaigns to save sport but then don't put sport on live. The fans want to see their sport live."

The industry body for pay-television, ASTRA, also hit out at Nine.

"Not even a Test against arch rivals New Zealand is safe from free-to-air TV abuse of the special privileges they are given under Australia's sports broadcasting laws," said ASTRA executive director Debra Richards.

Former Australia great Brett Kenny was upset at Nine's decision, saying: "It is ridiculous it's not live. Radio do it live, so why can't television?"

The Daily Telegraph

Thurston to make No.7 his own

By Adrian Proszenko

October 12, 2006 HAVING been given first crack at filling Andrew Johns' boots, Johnathan Thurston has no intention of giving anyone else a look-in during the Tri-Nations series.

Thurston was handed the Australian halfback role ahead of St George-Illawarra utility Ben Hornby, despite the fact injuries and North Queensland's finals absence limited him to just 17 NRL appearances this season.

"There's good competition in the squad for spots and I've got first crack at it now and I want to hold that spot for the next six weeks,'' Thurston said.

"I wasn't confident (of being selected) at all. The only thing I had going for me was Origin and that was six months ago.

"I've missed a fair bit of footy, so I was twiddling my thumbs, hoping to get the nod ahead of Benny.''

Johns himself nominated Thurston as his long-term successor in the lead-up to the Anzac Test in May, where the 2005 Dally M medalist made his debut off the bench.

"I think so, he doesn't throw too many wraps around, Joey,'' Thurston said when asked if Johns' endorsement gave him a confidence boost.

"It's very flattering and hopefully I can keep this number seven jersey for the next few weeks.''

Despite taking over from the legendary Johns, the 23-year-old felt no added pressure to perform in Saturday's encounter against New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium.

"I don't feel any pressure, I don't put any pressure on myself to perform or anything like that,'' he said.

"I'm not feeling any pressure at all.''

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart claimed Thurston's lack of match fitness was not an issue and said his combination with five-eighth Darren Lockyer and the rest of his teammates had improved as the week progressed.

"There was obviously a bit of pressure on Ben and Johnathan in regards to who was going to be selected - when I say pressure, they were probably both very anxious,'' Stuart said.

"Yesterday you could see he was very light on his feet, very happy to be selected and confident in what he was doing.

"He had probably his best session of the week yesterday for us. That gives you a little bit of excitement too, knowing you're in the team and you don't have to worry about outside influences, whether you're going to be picked or not.''

Rival halfback Stacey Jones said Thurston's selection represented a changing of the guard in the Australia team.

"Andrew Johns was so dominant there and Brett Kimmorley as well,'' Jones said.

"There's a couple of young players coming through now and he's part of it.''

AAP

Junior Titan

Talking Kiwis By !!!!!!!!!!!

AS ALWAYS STAYING LOYAL TO MY COUNTRY 'KIWIS BY 10' SHOULD RUFFLE SOME FEATHERS. KIA KAHA BOYS !!!( just a reminder watch out for willie he sounds a little bit scary) BRING IT ON.

I honestly cant predict any aspect of this game, it will depend alot on how each player shows up on the field.

I saw on tv tonight (forgot what show) that the kiwi's are trying to fade out the lines and make the field skinnier...as they did last year. why would you do that...both teams have to play on the same field, if it disadvantages australia, it will do exactly the same for the Kiwi's.

GO THE MAROONS!

Lockyer ready to play 'real' NZ team
    Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:36 PM

Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer says the Tri Nations campaign will provide a better indication of the quality of New Zealand's squad than the lopsided Anzac Test result.

The Kiwis, pummelled 50-12 in the mid-season clash, said this week they would prefer to be judged on their Tri Nations campaign, citing the absence of key personnel during the Suncorp Stadium encounter.

On that occasion, inspirational captain Ruben Wiki pulled out with injury at the last minute, while several England-based players were unavailable.

"The Anzac Test is a one-off game and I think now they've got their full squad together they'll be looking to repeat what they did (in the final) last year," Lockyer said.

"They've got seven weeks to get themselves into a position to win the title again.

"You would probably say they weren't at full strength mid-season, but now all their English-based players are back they probably think this is their best team and best chance."

Meanwhile, Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has paid Darren Lockyer the ultimate complement on the eve of the big game, predicting the champion pivot will be remembered as "one of Australia's great captains".

Stuart made the surprising assessment during Australia's final training session at Mt Smart Stadium, a venue under increasing scrutiny following rumours the Kiwis have intentionally shortened the dimensions of the field to blunt the visitors' expansive game.

The Kiwis created a furore prior to the opening match of the 2001 series when they marked out a field just 61 metres in width - seven metres short of the international regulations agreed by the three competing nations.

The issue surfaced again after the original field markings were rubbed out and new sidelines marked - a metre in on each touchline.

The in-goals were also shortened by up to three metres, raising questions if they were the shorter than the required eight metres.

Kiwi officials claimed the field was a standard size.

"No one has complained to us ... I'd be surprised if it wasn't regulation," Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said.

Lockyer downplayed any effect a skinnier field would have on the result.

"I don't think that will impact us too much, both teams will have to play on the same field, so it won't impact us at all," he said.

Stuart claimed Lockyer had grown into the leadership role to the point where he was one of the best skippers in Australia's proud 99-year Test-match history.

"Darren Lockyer, we all know what type of ability he's got," Stuart said.

"Where I think Darren Lockyer has matured and improved his game is his leadership.

"He's an outstanding leader and I said that after the Anzac Test this year after first having my first experience with Darren.

"He'll go down in the record books as one of Australia's great captains."

Lockyer has captained the Kangaroos on 14 occasions for 11 wins, two losses and a draw, a win-loss record that is comparable to the great Test skippers of the past including Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis and Clive Churchill.

Asked how Lockyer's leadership skills had evolved, Stuart said: "I think just maturity changes you, changes all of us.

"Not that he had any problems, but I think maturity gives you more responsibility and he's taken that on and done a fine job of it."

Source: AAP

************************************************** **************************

Lockyer named 'one of the greats'
    By Adrian Proszenko
    October 13, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart has paid Darren Lockyer the ultimate compliment, predicting the champion pivot will be remembered as "one of Australia's great captains."

Stuart made the surprising assessment during Australia's final training session at Mt Smart Stadium, a venue under increasing scrutiny following rumours the Kiwis have intentionally shortened the dimensions of the field to blunt the visitors' expansive game.

The Kiwis created a furore prior to the opening match of the 2001 series when they marked out a field just 61 metres in width - seven metres short of the international regulations agreed by the three competing nations.

The issue surfaced again today after the original field markings were rubbed out and new sidelines marked - a metre in on each touchline.

The in-goals were also shortened by up to three metres, raising questions if they were the shorter than the required eight metres. Kiwi officials claimed the field was a standard size.

"No one has complained to us ... I'd be surprised if it wasn't regulation," Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said tonight.

Lockyer downplayed any effect a skinnier field would have on the result.

"I don't think that will impact us too much, both teams will have to play on the same field, so it won't impact us at all," he said.

Stuart, meanwhile, claimed Lockyer had grown into the leadership role to the point where he was one of the best skippers in Australia's proud 99-year Test-match history.

"Darren Lockyer, we all know what type of ability he's got," Stuart said.

"Where I think Darren Lockyer has matured and improved his game is his leadership.

"He's an outstanding leader and I said that after the Anzac Test this year after first having my first experience with Darren.

"I'd never been involved with Darren before and experiencing him in camp and experiencing him in the game and then having a week with him so far, you can just see from the body language and the people around him that he's got great leadership.

"He's really maturing into a fantastic leader and he will continue on for a number of years.

"He'll go down in the record books as one of Australia's great captains."

Lockyer has captained the Kangaroos on 14 occasions for 11 wins, two losses and a draw, a win-loss record that is comparable to the great Australia skippers of the past including Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis and Clive Churchill.

Asked how Lockyer's leadership skills had evolved, Stuart said: "I think just maturity changes you, changes all of us.

"Not that he had any problems, but I think maturity gives you more responsibility and he's taken that on and done a fine job of it."

AAP

Aussies by 10 :emp:

Junior Titan

go aussies
    "Go the Titans"

Can't wait for tonight.

I think Australia will win though I am not going to put the house on it. I agree with Bennett, this will be our toughest test match of the series where the Kiwis ALWAYS in recent time fire up for the match.

Expect fireworks, some "ring rust" and I think the victor will win by 12 or more. There will be an initial arm wrestle though I think Australia will come home with a wet sail led by Darren Lockyer who is in the form of his career. Watching Lockyer closely since Origin, he has that "swagger" about him as if he is finally comfortable in the five-eight role. Daunting prospect for New Zealand especially if we dominate the forwards.

I'll go with Australia, for the simple fact I am an Aussie... :lol!:

I reckon it will be a tight struggle, that as DeeGan said will open up into a much more freeflowing game at the latter end of the halves as forwards get tired and backs find more room.

I think Australia have the backline to do the job, but our forwards are not a versatile, so its a case of getting at the Kiwis early on, do that, rattle them and we should be headed towards a win.

Winning in NZ though is always tough, so I will go Australia by 6.

If the halves fire up and play their game, they'll win. Lockyer and Thurston can be very punishing when they get on a roll. This year the foward pack doesnt seem as powerfull as last years. this probably comes down to Webcke's retirement. but they're all very capable and will do australia proud. Im expecting australia to win by 10.

GO THE MAROONS!