Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

If we are looking at halfback, Thurston has to be given first crack given his combination with Smith and Lockyer. I think he will make the position his own as I believe he is our next long term number seven.

Go Alfie! Choose the best i.e. Thurston

Alf to decide Test halfback
    By Dean Ritchie
    October 09, 2006

A MEETING between two of rugby league's greatest halfbacks - who played more than 500 first-grade games between them - will determine who replaces Andrew Johns as Australia's Tri-Nations halfback.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart will hold a special meeting with assistant coach Allan Langer to determine whether Ben Hornby or Johnathan Thurston take over as the Kangaroos' No.7.

Stuart cannot split Hornby and Thurston for Saturday's opening Tri-Nations Test against New Zealand in Auckland.

"I want to sit down with Alf and talk about the halfback position," Stuart said last night.

"Both players have different games and bring different strengths in different areas.

"We'll pick the right combination for the way we will play the game."

Asked was he leaning one way, Stuart said: "No."

Stuart and Langer played a combined total of 501 first-grade games, 48 State of Origins and 31 Tests as halfbacks.

Hornby - although he has only started 14 matches at halfback for St George-Illawarra this year - may have the slightest edge because of his toughness.

"I'm not quite sure how they are thinking but I'm a fairly good chance and so is JT," Hornby said.

"I can handle the job. I'll be doing my best if picked and hopefully we can win."

Asked whether he was apprehensive about possibly being the next Australia halfback, Hornby said: "Not really. It's always tough playing halfback because there's bit of extra pressure.

"But there are some great players around me and that would make it easier."

Thurston hopes his Queensland combination with hooker Cameron Smith in the State of Origin series may give him an edge.

"We combined pretty well," Thurston said.

"Hopefully they can keep that combination at Test level.

"We'll just wait and see.

"I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case Ben gets the nod.

"There's a spot up for grabs and it will be a matter of taking your opportunity. It is a vacant number at the moment. Ben and I are fighting out for it.

"There is a chance there for someone to settle in and have the position for a while."

Australia five-eighth and captain Darren Lockyer is not concerned whom he partners at the scrum-base.

"I don't have preference," Lockyer said.

"No one has spoken to me about it. That's up to the coach."

In other news, Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne are recovering well from injury, and both should be available for selection.

However Hodges is expected to miss selection as fullback, with Brisbane teammate Karmichael Hunt believed to have retained the No.1 jumper.

"We won't be rushing them but we'll do everything possible to get them back," Stuart said.

"The whole squad will go to New Zealand."

The Daily Telegraph

Junior Titan

good news hunt has retained the jumper
    "Go the Titans"

Kiwis 'still have bragging rights'
    By Dean Ritchie
    October 09, 2006

NEW Zealand remains the premier rugby league Test team despite its heavy loss to Australia in this year's Anzac Test, Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer said yesterday.

Australia belted the Kiwis 50-12 in May, but Lockyer still feels New Zealand's Tri-Nations final victory in Leeds last year entitles the Stacey Jones-led New Zealand to be ranked No.1.

"New Zealand hold the trophy and we'll be doing everything we can to get it back," Lockyer said.

"The Tri-Nations is the best three teams in the world.

"Winning the Tri-Nations gives you bragging rights to be No.1. They played some good football last year. They were the best team even though we finished on top (of the table).

"We were a bit up and down all series but they stuck to their game plan and they took their chances."

Lockyer meanwhile said he had no plans to retire from rep football.

"My goal is to get to the next World Cup (in 2008)," he said.

Lockyer admitted that a Tri-Nations victory would be an ideal finish to a season that included a premiership victory and State of Origin triumph.

"It's been a great year, no doubt," Lockyer said.

"But I don't want to get to the end of the year and think I could have finished it better."

Australia coach Ricky Stuart meanwhile described the New Zealand team as "formidable".

"They'll be a huge challenge," Stuart said.

But New Zealand had another setback yesterday, with second rower David Solomona ruled out with an arm injury.

Solomona now requires immediate surgery, with New Zealand coach Brian McClennan saying "it is a real blow to lose him".

The Daily Telegraph

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tate Ready to Fight for Test Spot
    Monday, October 9, 2006 - 4:30 PM

Brisbane centre Brent Tate is preparing for a tough battle ahead with the Gillette Tri Nations set to start on Saturday night at Auckland?s Mount Smart Stadium. Tate is preparing to mix it up with some of the best players in the world and ready to do what it takes, and that?s just to win a spot in the Australian side.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has gone on the record saying no one has a secure spot and he?s confident that all 23 players in his squad are up to test football.

Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt and Greg Inglis can all play wing, fullback or centre while Mark Gasnier, Matt King, Brent Tate, Jarryd Hayne, and eventually Jamie Lyon, come into contention for centre or wing. Even utilities Ben Hornby, Reni Maitua and Shaun Berrigan have spent time in the centres this season.

Tate says it?s a strong situation to be in and there?s some stiff competition to earn a test jersey against New Zealand.

?There is but it?s no different to any other Australian side I?ve been in, there?s always competition for spots.

It?s probably a little bit fiercer, but I?m really looking forward to the challenge and if I get the chance I?ll take it with both hands and stay there.?

Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne are expected to pass fitness tests after suffering slight hamstring problems and Tate says he?s hoping Hodges gets the nod at fullback.

?He?s played really well there and that just opens up another spot but whatever happens I?m sure each and every one of us will get a chance at some time during the series.?

Halfback is also a spot that is yet to be decided and Ricky Stuart has stated he wants to look at the combinations in training before deciding on his team for game one.

Tate says the players have to prove on the training track how much they want a spot.

?There?s possibilities all over the park and I?m sure we?ll gel together well we?ll played together in Australian sides before.

I don?t think combinations are going to be a problem. Gasnier, Lockyer and King they?re all good players so the challenge for us is to gel that little bit quicker and make it happen.?

The Australian rugby league squad has touched down in Auckland ready to begin their Tri Nations campaign and Tate says the seven strong Brisbane contingent have put Grand Final celebrations behind them and fitness won?t be a concern.

?Yeah it?s pretty good we?ve had a bit of a run already and some fitness work and I didn?t pull up too bad which is quite surprising after the week we?ve had.?

The 11 test veteran says there?s been no flaunting of Premiership rings and the Broncos boys have resisted the Grand Final bragging since joining the camp.

?No not really it?s better to have some humility so we?ve been a bit quiet. I?d love to do it all again though, I still haven?t wiped the smile off my face that?s for sure.?

After a slow start to the season the 24-year old is looking to top his sensational season of winning the Premiership and State of Origin series with Queensland with a recall to the Test side and win back the Gillette Tri Nations

Tate says he never thought he?d be in this situation after his below par performance for Queensland in the Origin opener.

?I suppose for Origin one Wayne said I wasn?t ready, and I probably wasn?t, and I struggled in that first game.

I had a pretty interrupted start to the season, I didn?t have a preseason. Once I started playing and started finding some fitness and my ankle started feeling a lot better and then your confidence grows.

Origin this year was pretty special and to finish the year with the Grand Final as well it?s been a pretty special year.?

The opportunity to wear the Green and Gold in a home Tri Nations series also has a special appeal to the Kangaroos.

?Yeah I think it?s really good playing at home. I?ve been over to England for the past couple of years so to have it our here is pretty special. There deserves to be a lot of interest around this game because New Zealand has done really well, the Poms are getting better every year so hopefully we get some big crowds to these games and get International footy where it should be.?

While Tate will do everything in his power to make the Australian side to kick the tournament off at Mount Smart Stadium this Saturday night, he says he?s marked the Brisbane test against Great Britain on November 18 down on his calendar as a special night because the Brisbane fans love their test footy.

?Yeah they do and they haven?t had one there for a while so to get one back there would be really good and I?d dearly love to play in one of those games at home in front of my family.

So fingers crossed and hopefully we?re travelling all right by then and there should be a huge crowd there as well.?

The New Zealand side is buoyant and full of confidence following last year?s Tri Nations win and Tate says that makes them a dangerous proposition.

?I think that one of the real special things they had going for them last year is that they were really close. And when they had the Sonny Bills and Benji Marshalls they really wanted to play for each other and that?s one of the really big challenges for us this year, to match that camaraderie and playing for each other.

It?s going to be a huge challenge for us.?

The Kangaroos will prepare for the game in Auckland but Tate doesn?t expect the side to be targeted by hostile Kiwi fans in the lead up.

?I don?t think so. It?s like every time you go somewhere, the public are really good they?re just happy to see football played in their state or country and they?ll respect that, but I?m sure come game time they?ll be very vocal.?

Australia has been a notorious slow starter in this tournament and Tate says they will need to be at the top of their game this Saturday night if they are to even match the Kiwis.

?They?re going to come out and be really fired up and they deserve to be favourites for this and their spirit seems to be right back where it was last year.

It?s going to be a huge game, it?s going to be very physical, it always is against the Kiwis and you expect nothing less.?

While seven Broncos are in the Australian squad there?s one on the

Kiwis side too and Tate says Tame Tupou will feel he has a point to prove.

?He was very unlucky not to make the 17 for the Grand Final; he?s been there all year. I think it was just an injury at the wrong time and he got put back by that.

He?ll be fired up I know how much he loves playing for the Kiwis, he?s very passionate about it and he?s going to be ready to rip in and get a couple of us for sure.?

The Broncos also have members of the training and management staff on the tour and Tate says it?s nice to have experienced former players like Allan Langer and Gavin Allen to help them out.

?It?s good to have those guys involved. I asked them how it felt during the week and they said it was great.

It?s always good to have a couple of ex Broncos around. Especially a guy like Alf he?s always good value to have around.?

Source: NRL

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    good news hunt has retained the jumper
    I strongly disagree. If Karmichael Hunt wasn't playing there for the many games before the end of the season, then why should he be there now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    I strongly disagree. If Karmichael Hunt wasn't playing there for the many games before the end of the season, then why should he be there now?
    I have also had the same doubts about Hunt considering he has been put into another position due to the form of another player at fullback....I think that Stuart will keep it safe and stick Hunt at fullback and Hodges at centre with the pair switching throughout the game.

Tate Ready to Fight for Test Spot
    Monday, October 9, 2006 - 4:30 PM

Brisbane centre Brent Tate is preparing for a tough battle ahead with the Gillette Tri Nations set to start on Saturday night at Auckland?s Mount Smart Stadium. Tate is preparing to mix it up with some of the best players in the world and ready to do what it takes, and that?s just to win a spot in the Australian side.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has gone on the record saying no one has a secure spot and he?s confident that all 23 players in his squad are up to test football.

Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt and Greg Inglis can all play wing, fullback or centre while Mark Gasnier, Matt King, Brent Tate, Jarryd Hayne, and eventually Jamie Lyon, come into contention for centre or wing. Even utilities Ben Hornby, Reni Maitua and Shaun Berrigan have spent time in the centres this season.

Tate says it?s a strong situation to be in and there?s some stiff competition to earn a test jersey against New Zealand.

?There is but it?s no different to any other Australian side I?ve been in, there?s always competition for spots.

It?s probably a little bit fiercer, but I?m really looking forward to the challenge and if I get the chance I?ll take it with both hands and stay there.?

Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne are expected to pass fitness tests after suffering slight hamstring problems and Tate says he?s hoping Hodges gets the nod at fullback.

?He?s played really well there and that just opens up another spot but whatever happens I?m sure each and every one of us will get a chance at some time during the series.?

Halfback is also a spot that is yet to be decided and Ricky Stuart has stated he wants to look at the combinations in training before deciding on his team for game one.

Tate says the players have to prove on the training track how much they want a spot.

?There?s possibilities all over the park and I?m sure we?ll gel together well we?ll played together in Australian sides before.

I don?t think combinations are going to be a problem. Gasnier, Lockyer and King they?re all good players so the challenge for us is to gel that little bit quicker and make it happen.?

The Australian rugby league squad has touched down in Auckland ready to begin their Tri Nations campaign and Tate says the seven strong Brisbane contingent have put Grand Final celebrations behind them and fitness won?t be a concern.

?Yeah it?s pretty good we?ve had a bit of a run already and some fitness work and I didn?t pull up too bad which is quite surprising after the week we?ve had.?

The 11 test veteran says there?s been no flaunting of Premiership rings and the Broncos boys have resisted the Grand Final bragging since joining the camp.

?No not really it?s better to have some humility so we?ve been a bit quiet. I?d love to do it all again though, I still haven?t wiped the smile off my face that?s for sure.?

After a slow start to the season the 24-year old is looking to top his sensational season of winning the Premiership and State of Origin series with Queensland with a recall to the Test side and win back the Gillette Tri Nations.

Tate says he never thought he?d be in this situation after his below par performance for Queensland in the Origin opener.

?I suppose for Origin one Wayne said I wasn?t ready, and I probably wasn?t, and I struggled in that first game.

I had a pretty interrupted start to the season, I didn?t have a preseason. Once I started playing and started finding some fitness and my ankle started feeling a lot better and then your confidence grows.

Origin this year was pretty special and to finish the year with the Grand Final as well it?s been a pretty special year.?

The opportunity to wear the Green and Gold in a home Tri Nations series also has a special appeal to the Kangaroos.

?Yeah I think it?s really good playing at home. I?ve been over to England for the past couple of years so to have it our here is pretty special. There deserves to be a lot of interest around this game because New Zealand has done really well, the Poms are getting better every year so hopefully we get some big crowds to these games and get International footy where it should be.?

While Tate will do everything in his power to make the Australian side to kick the tournament off at Mount Smart Stadium this Saturday night, he says he?s marked the Brisbane test against Great Britain on November 18 down on his calendar as a special night because the Brisbane fans love their test footy.

?Yeah they do and they haven?t had one there for a while so to get one back there would be really good and I?d dearly love to play in one of those games at home in front of my family.

So fingers crossed and hopefully we?re travelling all right by then and there should be a huge crowd there as well.?

The New Zealand side is buoyant and full of confidence following last year?s Tri Nations win and Tate says that makes them a dangerous proposition.

?I think that one of the real special things they had going for them last year is that they were really close. And when they had the Sonny Bills and Benji Marshalls they really wanted to play for each other and that?s one of the really big challenges for us this year, to match that camaraderie and playing for each other.

It?s going to be a huge challenge for us.?

The Kangaroos will prepare for the game in Auckland but Tate doesn?t expect the side to be targeted by hostile Kiwi fans in the lead up.

?I don?t think so. It?s like every time you go somewhere, the public are really good they?re just happy to see football played in their state or country and they?ll respect that, but I?m sure come game time they?ll be very vocal.?

Australia has been a notorious slow starter in this tournament and Tate says they will need to be at the top of their game this Saturday night if they are to even match the Kiwis.

?They?re going to come out and be really fired up and they deserve to be favourites for this and their spirit seems to be right back where it was last year.

It?s going to be a huge game, it?s going to be very physical, it always is against the Kiwis and you expect nothing less.?

While seven Broncos are in the Australian squad there?s one on the

Kiwis side too and Tate says Tame Tupou will feel he has a point to prove.

?He was very unlucky not to make the 17 for the Grand Final; he?s been there all year. I think it was just an injury at the wrong time and he got put back by that.

He?ll be fired up I know how much he loves playing for the Kiwis, he?s very passionate about it and he?s going to be ready to rip in and get a couple of us for sure.?

The Broncos also have members of the training and management staff on the tour and Tate says it?s nice to have experienced former players like Allan Langer and Gavin Allen to help them out.

?It?s good to have those guys involved. I asked them how it felt during the week and they said it was great.

It?s always good to have a couple of ex Broncos around. Especially a guy like Alf he?s always good value to have around.?

Kiwis Choose Youth
    Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:24 AM

New Zealand selectors have opted for a young side and four debutants for Saturday night?s first Gillette Tri Nation?s match against Australia at Mount Smart Stadium.

With an average age of just under 25 the Roosters Iosia Soliola, Manly?s Steve Matai, the Warriors Simon Mannering and the Storm?s Adam Blair will all make their test debuts against the Kangaroos.

Only Stacey Jones, skipper Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana are 30 or over.

The full squad is:

1. Brent Webb
    2. Tame Tupou
    3. Iosia Soliola
    4. Steve Matai
    5. Manu Vatuvei
    6. Nigel Vagana
    7. Stacey Jones
    8. Ruben Wiki ?
    9. Dene Halatau
    10. Roy Asotasi
    11. David Kidwell
    12. Tony Puletua
    13. Simon Mannering

14. Jerome Ropati
    15. Nathan Cayless
    16. Adam Blair
    17. Frank Pritchard

The Kiwis are the current holders of the Gillette Tri Nations.

The Australian team for Saturday night?s game will be announced tomorrow morning.

************************************************** **************************

Reni locks up debut for Roos
    By Margie McDonald
    October 10, 2006

BULLDOGS utility Reni Maitua has capped a roller-coaster season by being named in the starting side as he makes his Test debut for Australia against New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on Saturday.

Maitua went into the 23-man squad only when Brisbane lock Tonie Carroll was ruled out with a knee injury following the Broncos' grand final triumph.

This season has been one of highs and lows for the 24 year old.

Maitua was charged with drink-driving on Anzac Day, and he said the incident sent him into depression. His form slid, and he was forced to fight his way back from premier league after being demoted for being late to training.

But the talented utility put his head down after advice from teammate and friend Willie Mason, and he was one of the Bulldogs' key players in their finals campaign.

The identity of the crucial halfback position should become a little clearer at the Kangaroos' first training run in New Zealand this morning.

The selection is a two-horse race between Jonathan Thurston and Ben Hornby, but the former's familiarity with five-eighth and captain Darren Lockyer, and hooker Cameron Smith - a relationship forged over the past six Origin games for Queensland, including the series win this year - will count heavily in the North Queensland player's favour.

Thurston has played one Test, but he has played just two matches since returning from a serious knee injury. He dislocated his kneecap in round 20 and missed six weeks.

The No.7 jumper was last worn by Andrew Johns in his farewell Test at Suncorp Stadium in May, when Australia walloped the Kiwis 50-12.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart knows the importance of gaining the upper hand in the 2006 series by winning the opening Test.

Thurston's knowledge of Lockyer and Smith's playing style would go a long way to igniting the Australian attack.

"It's an important game, the first game, and it always gives a side that bit of confidence starting off the series," Stuart said yesterday at Sydney airport before flying to New Zealand with 22 of his 23-man squad.

Jamie Lyon is playing for St Helens in the Super League grand final against Hull on Saturday, and he will join the camp next week.

Stuart discussed the Thurston-Hornby dilemma with assistant coach Allan Langer today, and also sought Lockyer's counsel.

"I'll always involve the captain," Stuart said.

"Darren is a terrific leader and he should be given the privilege of being involved in the selection process."

The No.7 not only has to fill Johns' shoes but also take on the evergreen Kiwis halfback Stacey Jones, a veteran of 41 Tests.

Stuart was full of praise for Jones' skills yesterday.

"Huge ... huge difference," he said when asked his assessment of Jones' decision to return from retirement for a second time.

"Having Stacey Jones play there gives them great experience, great maturity.

"He's a player that has been there through all these big games and not just played in them but won them for New Zealand."

Jones, like Thurston, has overcome serious injury in 2006. He missed four months with his French Super League side, Les Catalans, due to a broken arm.

But Stuart knows that will not have slowed him down or dulled his instincts.

"His tactical kicking game is very smart and the way he steers his team around is really important too.

"Stacey gives them a lot of direction and that's one thing the Kiwis probably lacked last May."

Karmichael Hunt is expected to retain the fullback jumper even though Broncos teammate Justin Hodges played in the position for most of Brisbane's finals campaign.

The Australian

Klein refs opening Tests

October 10, 2006 ENGLISH Super League referee Ashley Klein has been appointed to the first two matches of the Tri Nations series beginning this weekend.

Klein, an Australian based in England, was the 2005 Super League referee of the year and controlled this year's Test between Australia and New Zealand in May.

Australia plays New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday before a return fixture at Melbourne's Telstra Dome a week later.

AAP

Thurston Wins Halfback Spot
    Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:15 PM

Australian coach Ricky Stuart has included five debutants in the team to play New Zealand in game one of the Gillette Tri Nations series this Saturday night at Mount Smart Stadium.

Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Reni Maitua and Brent Kite will all wear the Green and Gold for the first time while Cowboys and Queensland halfback has denied Ben Hornby the chance to make his test debut in the number 7.

The full team is:

1. Karmichael Hunt

2. Matt King

3. Mark Gasnier

4. Justin Hodges

5. Greg Inglis

6. Darren Lockyer (c)

7. Johnathan Thurston

8. Willie Mason

9. Cameron Smith

10.Petero Civoniceva

11.Luke O?Donnell

12.Nathan Hindmarsh

13.Reni Maitua

14.Mark O?Meley

15.Shaun Berrigan

16.Andrew Ryan

17.Brent Kite

The team was originally due to be named tomorrow but the announcement was brought forward.

New Zealand also announced its side for game one today.

Great looking side. I can't wait to see how they go on Saturday night.

Really looking forward to the thurston jones match-up, along with mannering in at lock...didnt see that one coming but come to think of it...he could fill that role quite well. looks like a great game, if the kiwis can keep their heads in it.

the side is good, but to me its not really exciting

I have to agree Victor...

I feel really sorry for Brent Tate, who has played superbly and deserves a starting spot... I think he is the unlucky one there.

However its more in the forwards I am less happy. Hindmarsh and O'Donnell provide the same sort of play as the other one, and against a Kiwi side in particular that has some extremely mobile forwards, I would have preferred to have seen O'Meley start and use his running style at Prop and had Mason in the 2nd row to help the versatility issue... with O'Donnell providing impact off the bench.

Oh well, I guess that might change in the long run, but that's my 2c worth.. I just think that we need some difference in playing style of forwards to give us something of an edge against a Kiwi side that has quite a fair bit of versatility in their forwards.

I agree with what victor and TJ said this side aint that good i hate how they play Inglis out on the wing and im not sure about Hunt at fullback considering he hasnt played the full 80 minutes at fullback for quite some time now.