Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Tri-Nations 06: Game One; Kiwis vs Kangaroos

Tri-Nations 2006: Game One

NEW ZEALAND KIWIS vs AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS
    Mt. Smart Stadium; Saturday 14th October, 8pm

Referee: Ashley Klein

Team Notes:

Kiwis

Are the defending champions of the Tri-Nations tournament.

New Zealand selectors have opted for a young side and four debutants for Saturday night?s first Gillette Tri Nation?s match against Australia at Mount Smart Stadium.

With an average age of just under 25 the Roosters Iosia Soliola, Manly?s Steve Matai, the Warriors Simon Mannering and the Storm?s Adam Blair will all make their test debuts against the Kangaroos.

Only Stacey Jones, skipper Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana are 30 or over.

Kangaroos

Last defeated the Kiwis 50-12 in the Anzac Test in May. However only 10 players from that Australia squad which beat the New Zealanders so easily remain in the current squad.

Australian coach Ricky Stuart has included five debutants in the team to play New Zealand in game one of the Gillette Tri Nations series this Saturday night at Mount Smart Stadium.

Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Reni Maitua and Brent Kite will all wear the Green and Gold for the first time while Cowboys and Queensland halfback has denied Ben Hornby the chance to make his test debut in the number 7.

************************************************** *******************************************

KIWIS

1. Brent Webb
    2. Tame Tupou
    3. Iosia Soliola
    4. Steve Matai
    5. Manu Vatuvei
    6. Nigel Vagana
    7. Stacey Jones
    8. Ruben Wiki (c)
    9. Dene Halatau
    10. Roy Asotasi
    11. David Kidwell
    12. Tony Puletua
    13. Simon Mannering
    Interchange:
    14. Jerome Ropati
    15. Nathan Cayless
    16. Adam Blair
    17. Frank Pritchard

KANGAROOS

1. Karmichael Hunt
    2. Matt King
    3. Mark Gasnier
    4. Justin Hodges
    5. Greg Inglis
    6. Darren Lockyer (c)
    7. Johnathan Thurston
    8. Willie Mason
    9. Cameron Smith
    10.Petero Civoniceva
    11.Luke O?Donnell
    12.Nathan Hindmarsh
    13.Reni Maitua
    Interchange:
    14.Mark O?Meley
    15.Shaun Berrigan
    16.Andrew Ryan
    17.Brent Kite

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations Game One information and game day spoilers***

Tri Nations a Whole New Ball Game
    Friday, October 6, 2006 - 2:51 PM

New Zealand might hold the Gillette Tri Nations trophy but Kiwi skipper Ruben Wiki says they won?t go into the tournament thinking they?re defending champions.

The Kiwis have assembled in Auckland, apart from the players still involved in Super League in England, ahead of Game one of the series against Australia at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday October 14.

Wiki bristles at comments that it will be different defending the title and says the team isn?t reflecting on the stunning win last year it?s only looking forward.

?They keep talking about last year but it?s a new year now, a new series, everyone starts on an even par. There?s no point bringing up last year it?s done and dusted.

We?re not defending anything it changes every year.

What we did last year was special but it?s a new year, the trophy?s up for grabs and it?s on again with everyone starting on level pegging.?

The Kiwis have gone into camp earlier than the Australians and Wiki says the spirits are high.

?It?s always high in the New Zealand camp we?ve only just come together but the boys have gelled quite quickly it?s like a family reunion again.

We?re really buzzing at the chance we get to play on our home soil this year.?

New Zealand played an exciting brand of football under new Coach Brian McClennan last year and will have to cope with a new Australian coach this time around in Ricky Stuart.

Wiki laughs when asked about Stuart?s determination to win everything.

?Oh for sure you know. I played with Ricky he?s very competitive and his will to win and his desire to succeed were shown at the Roosters and in Origin. Everything?s a hundred miles an hour with that guy and he just loves winning so no doubt his troops will be up for it.?

While Stuart is steeling his troops for the challenge ahead it was the Kangaroos Willie Mason who fired the first shot in the war of words daring New Zealand and Great Britain forwards to target the new faces in the Australian line up.

Mason suggested they would do that at their own peril and would end up ?on their backs and getting bashed.?

Wiki isn?t surprised by the comments.

?That?s Willie for you mate. Everyone?s got their opinion but we don?t really buy into that sort of stuff we just go about our business. He can say whatever he wants.?

New Zealand have some form rookies of their own in Adam Blair, Steve Matai, Iosia Soliola and Tame Tupou and Wiki says the Kiwis who played in the NRL finals bring a great deal to the camp.

?All these guys you know have just been involved in the finals Adam Blair, David Kidwell and Tame Tupou they?re Grand Finalists so no doubt they?ll bring some of that buzz and feeling into the camp.?

The Kiwis also have inspirational halfback Stacey Jones following his season with Le Catalans and Wiki believes he will be a key figure.

?Yes the French Kiwi is back and it?s good to have him back, he?s raring to go, he?s excited, he?s around all the boys and loving it.?

The players will receive a further boost from the fans with an open training session at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday and Wiki says it?s one of the best parts of the build up.

?For sure this is what it?s all about. The kids are all on holiday here so hopefully we get a lot of them down to training and we?ll sign a few autographs and pose for photos for as many kids as we get there.?

As well as the fans turning out for the open training day the New Zealand skipper is calling on them to turn out for the home matches and give the Kiwis a boost and the visitors an intimidating atmosphere.

?Hopefully the home advantage can work in our favour but its only 80 minutes so anything can happen so we just have to work on what we can do on the field and hopefully all our supporters can get behind us and get to the game.?

Wiki has impressed all around him with his enthusiasm during the early stages of the camp but the 33-year-old says fun is the key.

?I?m just going to approach this the way I play the game whether it?s an International or backyard stuff. It?s the way I grew up just having fun, it?s something I just love doing. The traditional Kava bowl came out last night so it was good.?

With the opening game just over a week away Wiki is looking forward to locking horns with the Aussies, but is prepared for a challenge from the third team in the Tri Nations too.

?The Poms they?re bringing out a strong team it?s going to be a full on tournament.?

New Zealand has the unique situation of players in both the England and Australian competitions and Wiki says that makes it hard for a new face to catch a team off guard.

?It?s going to be pretty hard to win anyway. Everyone knows the strengths and weaknesses of each player but it?s just going to be very exciting, it?s a new year, a new adventure and it all starts against Australia. It?ll be awesome.?

Source: NRL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kangaroos pups will go alright: Mason
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 7:36 PM

Now a senior member of the Australian side, prop Willie Mason says the pups in the Kangaroos pack can expect a tough initiation against the might of New Zealand and Great Britain.

But Mason had an ominous warning for the Kangaroos' Tri-Nations opponents - expect to cop as good as you give.

"If any of the Pommies or the Kiwis want to run at them, good luck to them - they're going to get bashed," was Mason's piece of advice at Thursday's team medical in Sydney.

"Run at Sam Thaiday and he's going to put you on your back.

"They're great players, they're future Australian representatives. I'm glad the selectors have gone for a younger generation because that's the future of the league."

With an eye to the future and in particular the 2008 World Cup, Test selectors went for youth in naming their squad with Petero Civoniceva the only player older than 29.

There are only 10 survivors from the side which trounced New Zealand 50-12 in the Anzac Test earlier this year with representative retirements, injuries and personal commitments leaving selectors with little choice but to look to the future.

Uncapped forwards Sam Thaiday, Anthony Tupou and Reni Maitua were all named in the 23-man squad with at least one of them likely to make his Test debut in the series opener against New Zealand on Saturday week.

"It takes a lot of experience away from a football team and it takes a lot of experience out of this group," Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said on Thursday.

"But what I'm adding into the mix there is a lot of enthusiasm and excitement with the young debutants."

Mason said he was looking forward to taking on a more senior role within the group.

"It is a bit different, seeing young blokes like Toup's (Anthony Tupou) and Reni Maitua get called up, they're all younger blokes that haven't played that much rep football and blokes like myself and Petero, (Nathan) Hindmarsh all seem to be boosted up into that place.

"I'm going to cherish it and take it with both hands ... it's great opportunity for myself and all the other guys."

Despite New Zealand walking away with the Tri-Nations in a stunning boilover last year, the Kangaroos still go into this year's tournament as resounding favourites.

Mason said losing last year had done little to ease the expectation on the side.

"There's always pressure on Australian sides, you're expected to win," Mason said.

"Last year we lost and I was part of that side and I was filthy that we got beat and so was everyone who played in that side.

"It's not like it's revenge but we definitely want to win the Tri-Nations."

Source: AAP

aussies by 4

weird about haynes selection

Titan Club Captain

Aww i'm so excited about the Tri Nations. And in the words of Louie Anderson..and some random voice over guy: "This year its not defending our Tri Nations trophy......Its about winning it back"

Titans First Grader

Aussies by 8, Hayne to shyne

imo while hayne has been good at scoring tries its gonna be interesting to see if he can perform like that at international level. i mean someone like inglis could probably handle it better having more first grade games under his belt.

Junior Titan

hodges to shine
    "Go the Titans"

he could but at fullback would be interesting to see.
    i hope they dont put him as queensland fullback.
    would be unfair to put a centre there when theres total fullback potential out there

Titan Club Captain

Manu Vatuvei to shine!!!

Attention Aussies kick the ball along the ground to Manu Vatuvei.
    There should be some interesting selections for this game itll be a corker too but aussies by 8

Junior Titan

i hope hodges plays at fullback for the roos
    "Go the Titans"

I will say it again, Queenslander, you do a great job in starting a thread about ANY upcoming game mate - great stuff

More on the game from me when we finalise a team which will be very interesting to see.

Hayne better just hope he doesnt get lined up with vatuvei on the wing

Smith throws No.9 gauntlet to Buderus
    Saturday, October 7, 2006 - 5:39 PM

Kangaroos hooker Cameron Smith has thrown down the challenge to Test incumbent Danny Buderus, saying he won't give up the Australian No.9 jumper without a fight.

Having overcome a corked leg and a rib cartilage injury picked up in last week's NRL grand final loss to Brisbane, Smith is almost assured of being named to make his Test debut in Saturday's tournament opener against New Zealand in Auckland.

Selection in the green and gold would cap a sensational year in which the Storm rake has already picked up the Dally M medal and played a leading role in Queensland's victorious State of Origin campaign.

Smith and Buderus waged a tremendous battle throughout the interstate series, national selectors spared the tough task of splitting the two when Buderus made himself unavailable for the Tri-Nations tournament due to the impending birth of he and his partner's first child.

But despite the fact he is yet to actually get his hands on the Australian No.9 jumper, Smith said he was doing more than just keeping the seat warm for Buderus.

"It's not the last time I want to play for Australia and it's a massive opportunity to try and play well and hopefully the next time a series or an Australian game comes around I'm in the back of minds of selectors," Smith said.

"I know Danny's not going to give his spot up easily but I'm going to fight hard to get back in the team as well.

"I thought I'd be waiting until Danny had to retire, I'm pretty fortunate that he's having this series off and I'm going to make the best of my opportunity."

Having finally overcome the Buderus obstacle, Smith is now facing a new challenger in the form of Brisbane utility Shaun Berrigan.

The former Test centre was one of the Broncos best throughout finals series, culminating in a man of the match performance in Brisbane's 15-8 win over the Storm in the decider.

But far from seeing Berrigan as a threat, Smith is hoping the two can work together.

"He's been playing great in the back half of the season as he showed the other night, he played really well and got the Clive Churchill (Medal)," Smith said.

"Hopefully both of us get in the 17, that really worked for us in the Origin series I thought."

Assuming he is picked at hooker for the Mt Smart Stadium clash, Smith is set to play a different role to the one he performs at club level where he drifts out to first and second receiver during the back half of matches.

The 23-year-old is more likely to be constrained to the dummy-half role with skipper Darren Lockyer and either Johnathan Thurston or Ben Hornby the primary ball handler.

Only five of the seven Broncos representatives made it to Sydney on Saturday for the first day of the Kangaroos camp, Brent Tate and Petero Civoniceva staying behind in Brisbane to attend a wedding. The premiership-winning duo will link up with the squad on Sunday.

Three players failed to take part in the squad's first training session on Saturday with Justin Hodges, Jarryd Hayne (both hamstring) and Smith training away from the main group. All three should be available for selection for the tournament opener.

Source: AAP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hodges, Hayne given 24 hours
    By David Riccio
    October 08, 2006

INJURED Australia aspirants Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne have just 24 hours to prove their fitness after failing to train with their Tri-Nations teammates yesterday.

The potent pair are battling hamstring injuries and both are in danger of missing the series opener against New Zealand on Saturday.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart is believed likely to make a call on the availability of Hodges and Hayne tomorrow evening.

Both were unable to run at the squad's training session at Wentworth Park in central Sydney yesterday.

Hodges and Hayne were restricted to limited boxing drills as their teammates ran freely for just over an hour.

Star hooker Cameron Smith also failed to take part in the squad's training run, but his knee complaint isn't considered serious.

The fitness of Hodges is believed to be of greater concern than that of Hayne.

"It's touch and go," Stuart said of Hodges.

"It's always a bit nervous when you've got a problem such as a hamstring because you just don't know the extent of it.

"But (team doctor) Hugh Hazzard is very confident that if he does miss this first game he'll be available for game two."

Hodges passed his medical on arrival in camp yesterday, but he trudged from Wentworth Park four hours later, his right thigh strapped with ice.

Hazzard said he would do everything possible to further the players' recovery.

"We'll be doing a lot of physiotherapy with them and just assess them day by day," Hazzard said.

"I'm still confident they'll respond."

Hayne, 19, didn't concede his dream season and possible Test debut would be cruelled by injury.

"It's good," Hayne said of his injury.

"The last two days it's reacted to the treatment. I've had plenty of massage work."

Hayne said the rigours of his debut NRL season, followed by the Prime Minister's XIII game against Papua New Guinea last weekend, had left his body vulnerable.

"I hadn't played for a couple of weeks before Papua New Guinea and I think that game knocked me about a bit," he said.

"It twinged again on Thursday but it's getting better every day. I think by Monday I should be sweet.

"I have no expectations of playing, I'm just glad to be in the team and train with them."

After failing to train on Thursday, Smith confirmed his availability.

"It was a bit sore when we had the medical (on Thursday) but today it's pretty good," Smith said.

"All the swelling has gone down, there's still a little bit of soreness there but I've just seen the doctors again and they said I'll be 100-per cent come game time."

"They can't see any problems with playing the first game."

The Sunday Telegraph

Seven lucky Broncos
    Greg Davis
    October 08, 2006 12:00am

AUSTRALIAN coach Ricky Stuart is confident Brisbane's seven-strong contingent in the Kangaroos squad for the Tri-Nations series will not have any post-premiership letdowns.

Brisbane mades up almost a third of the Australian squad ? with skipper Darren Lockyer, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges and Tonie Carroll selected in the original squad.
    Carroll was subsequently forced out with a knee injury sustained in Brisbane's emotional 15-8 grand final triumph over Melbourne

Canterbury utility Reni Maitua has taken his place.

Stuart ? who went on Kangaroo tours in 1990 and 1994 after winning premierships with Canberra ? said the Broncos would be riding a wave of euphoria into the Tri-Nations, which starts next Saturday when Australia takes on New Zealand in Auckland.

"They'll still have plenty of adrenalin pumping through them and I'm sure they can keep that rolling into their next assignment," Stuart said.

"They've achieved so much as a team this year by winning the premiership and now they have the chance to achieve another honour by playing for their country.

"Obviously they will not want to let Australia down and they'll be doing everything in their power to take their club form into the representative arena and I have no doubt they will do that."

The Kangaroos ? minus the Broncos contingent ? assembled in Sydney on Thursday for a briefing and training session and the whole squad went into camp yesterday.

Stuart said senior members of the team were keen to exact revenge on the Kiwis, who humbled the Kangaroos with a 24-0 win in last year's Tri-Nations decider.

He said Australia's convincing victory in the ANZAC Test at Suncorp Stadium in May had set the bar for the Kangaroos in the upcoming campaign.

"Everyone is very excited about being involved and there is a very good vibe around the squad," Stuart said.

"I've spoken to a few of the blokes who were there last year and they have mentioned how keen they are to reverse the result from last year.

"They have said they want to make amends because they were embarrassed.

"We set some high standards in the ANZAC Test and we have to live up to them throughout the series.

"It's a big job and we start the series on the back foot because we aren't defending champions but the players will know what is expected of them."

Stuart did not give any indication on who was leading the race for the coveted No.7 jumper, with Cowboys star Johnathan Thurston and Dragons utility Ben Hornby both vying to partner Lockyer in the halves.

Thurston has played the last two State of Origin series alongside Lockyer and outside likely Test hooker Cameron Smith but Stuart indicated there was nothing between the two halfback options.

The Sunday Mail