Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Richie Mathers

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Maybe Turner should consider himself lucky to be in such an envious position,be grateful for the opportunities he's been/being given and play wherever the Titans feel best and not dummy spit over the possibility of playing on the wing...or chuck it in and go work with his father at the IGA warehouse at Blacktown and see what normality is like!

Junior Titan

Should Mathers have been included in the GB squad???

he is injured... or has been for a long time!

As a Pom who has just moved to the Tweed in the past year i have sen plenty of Richie Mathers,he is a good young player,scores a few tries,but has always been disliked by opposition fans for perceived arrogance(not always a bad thing in a player),hes got a good attacking game but may need to tighten up a bit defensively.He would have been in the GB Tri nations squad bar injury but only as back up to Paul Wellens.

Titan First Grade Regular

Mathers will be full-back.

Turn-coat will play QLD cup.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    Mathers will be full-back.

Turn-coat will play QLD cup.
    I hope Turner plays QLD Cup, but wouldn't that be just a waste of money?

Junior Titan

He is one of the best young talents to be produced in super league in recent years and ive no doubts he will be a smash over there. Can also slot into half back too!

Richie fans, I have posted a few Richie photos in Pizzey park training photo thread if you wanna look.

Mathers aims to emulate Morley
    By Mick Daly
    January 10, 2007 GREAT Britain star Richie Mathers wants to emulate the feats of English compatriot Adrian Morley and prove himself a hit in the NRL.

The Lions fullback has been compared with a young Darren Lockyer, for his guile and skill, and he shapes as the leading contender to wear the Gold Coast No. 1 jersey.

Mathers trained with the Titans for the first time yesterday after overcoming a knee injury that sidelined him most of last year.

The recruit from Leeds said he was keen to follow in the footsteps of Morley, who became one of the NRL's most feared forwards in his six years with Sydney Roosters.

Mathers revealed he had sought Morley's advice during the recent Tri-Nations tournament on how best to succeed in the world's toughest competition.

"The NRL is rightly regarded as being the best of the best, so it was a massive step for me to come out here and play," Mathers said.

"Not many guys (in the English Super League) get the opportunity to come here and play, and the challenge of performing well every week is a huge one.

"Moz (Morley) was relatively unknown in Australia when he first came here, but he went on to become an absolute legend.

"He said it would be a lot tougher but told me to just embrace everything and learn as much as I could. I'm really excited."

Mathers's chances of starting the season at fullback have risen sharply with recalcitrant Melbourne flyer Steve Turner refusing to honour his deal with the Titans and former Australia rugby union player Mat Rogers still sorting out his personal life.

Rogers is on a family holiday until Monday, and the Titans will meet him then to clarify his plans.

The Titans' other notable absentee, Lions wing Brian Carney, has been stuck in the UK due to visa problems, but he is expected at training next week.

The Titans will play their first trial against Melbourne at Coffs Harbour on February 17, and Mathers is desperate to press his claims.

"To start the year at fullback would be perfect," he said.

"My first objective was to get fully fit, and now I'm on the way to achieving that my next objective is to put form on the board and impress.

"We would love to have Steve Turner and Mat Rogers here, but even without them we've still got a strong squad with plenty of depth.

"Everyone is fighting for a spot and we are all really hungry to make the team."

Gold Coast plays its opening NRL premiership match against St George-Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on March 18.

Titan First Grade Regular

I havn't seen a game of him in the Super League, but from waht i've heard of him, he's got the talent, and the right attitude to make it in the NRL.
    [