Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Richie Mathers

Default Richie Mathers

Just gone through the majority of threads and was suprised to see not much withh regards to the signing of Mathers. Would just like to see what the reaction is of the fans to the signing. Must say that Richie is an outstanding young player with immense potential to succeed in the NRL. :naughty:

Unfortunately I know very little about the super league, so have never seen him play. We seem to have plenty of English fans on the forum though, so they might have some opinions.

I am sure you will find something about Richie Mathers on the forum. Anyway ...

I am a long time Leeds fan and I was over the moon to see my club sign him. Mathers is/was the best young fullback in Great Britain. A very good attacking player who is equally dangerous chiming in to the line or returning the ball, very good under the high ball and can improve a little defensively. All in all, he will improve as a player in the NRL competition which will benefit the England team.

My understanding is he will be ready to partake in the pre-season training and fight for a starting position in the line-up.

Im very interested in the signing of mathers

Never seen him play, and i did not realise he was rated so highly until i read of some of the posts on this forum. This was a nice surprise

Few questions: Is he a ball player? What positions does he play? (fullback obviosly, but i heard he plays all over the backline?) Also, his best position?

i have watched mathers play a couple of times and gee he is one talented player he is the complete package safe under the high ball good defender and always seems to be in the right spot in attack this guy will have people talking in 2007

he is a quality player for sure, the adjustment to living here will be his biggest hurdel, some like it like Morley, others have a year or 2 and go back home, i think he'l be ok though, ths coast isn't hard to get used to

Junior Titan

i think mathers is one of the best signings for the titans and will be a vital charge next season
    "Go the Titans"

One of my best players on Rugby League 2.

But I did read up on him and how he has played this year and he is promising.

Junior Titan

i've never played him on rugby league 2
    i'm just going to try it
    "Go the Titans"

Titans First Grader

He is a quality player and will show a few defenders up next year. His return runs are excellent and as deegan said he is very safe under the high ball. I think it was a smart move by the Titans to sign him up because with him and Carney in the side they will become one of the most supported NRL teams in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    i've never played him on rugby league 2
    i'm just going to try it
    No use, Rugby League 2 is totally unrealistic, and Sidhe did very little on Super League players stats, details, etc.

BTW, who will get the fullback role next year, Turner or Mathers? (providing that Turner makes up his mind and comes to Titans)

Titans First Grader

Mathers with Turner on the wing i would imagine.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by viking1985
    Just gone through the majority of threads and was suprised to see not much withh regards to the signing of Mathers. Would just like to see what the reaction is of the fans to the signing. Must say that Richie is an outstanding young player with immense potential to succeed in the NRL. :naughty:
    Possibly due to the fact a fair few of us don't follow the superleague (either due to lack of pay-tv or just general interest). But most reports of him seem glowing.

hes a brilliant young player, he is safe under the high ball and his positional play is great... im a rhinos fan and we have really missed him this season but i think we have missed his enthusiasm more than anything else, he really does build up the whole team

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ~lee~
    Mathers with Turner on the wing i would imagine.
    If the Titans do get Turner to come and play for the Gold Coast and they do not give him the position of fullback from the begining that is very unfair on Turner, he signed for the titans under the influence he would play Fullback from the very start. Turner wanted to play Fullback for the Storm but Melbourne already had players like Inglis and Slater, I would be very disapointed if the Titans choose to put Turner on the wing after promising him his favorite position of Fullback, that is very unfair on Turner even though he did make this mess. Mathers is just coming out of superleague and I'm under the impression that Superleague is not as intense as NRL so it may take Mathers a while to get used to the intensity of the NRL and thats why we shouldn't put him in Fullback for the first few games.